Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

California's Water Problems

(Read 657 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Pat Dilling

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
https://www.kcra.com/article/low-water-levels-limit-access-boaters-impact-tourism-lake-oroville/37029253

I had chance to be interviewed by a local TV station as we were leaving Lake Oroville. If we don't get some rain this winter we are in big trouble.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Dog

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Our water supply here sucks bad. McClure is a mud puddle Melones aint to far behind. pretty soon pedro will be to low to use.

Marine Coat One

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
On my last business trip to Sacramento in 1992, the area already had water problems. You had potable water and brown water. The authorities were strict about it. At the end of my trip, I decided to take a 3 day vacation and drive to Tahoe. I rented a  TesstaRossa for 2 days and drove along the American River to Tahoe. The most beautiful drive I've every made. Looking at a genuine wild river, it was hard to remember Sacramento's water problems.

Wizard

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
Man I hate to hear about the status on the lakes. I talked to Gary Dobyns the other day and he said that Folsom was a 5 mph only lake and very low. They touched on it.

Seen something this morning saying the Sacramento River water temps have gotten so high they believe the salmon run is in jeopardy.

Meanwhile in Louisiana we can't mow our yards because we're so flooded. Seems like we're getting an inch of rain a day since March. Hell in June we got 13 inches in two days....
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pat Dilling

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
We should start building water pipelines
Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 10:21:26 PM by Pat Dilling

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
We should start building water pipelines

Someone is going to figure out how to do it and their families will never want for money.....

Cork's Reel Service

BassmanRudy

• Ultimate Basser
  • I'd Rather be Bass Fishing!! :-)
All those "smart" people over there in cali need to figure out how to convert all that saltwater they sit next too to fresh...

Or just kick out the Millions of illegals that reside there as that would Greatly reduce water usage!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
All those "smart" people over there in cali need to figure out how to convert all that saltwater they sit next too to fresh...

Or just kick out the Millions of illegals that reside there as that would Greatly reduce water usage!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Iím a water and wastewater treatment operator. One of the biggest hurdles to desalination is the cost. And in my professional opinion itís the best way to go for coastal communities. Potable water for industry, irrigation, and consumption puts a huge strain on our already limited fresh water sources. Obviously in some places like where I live, Wells and surface water plants are the only course of action, but cities on the coast need to get their hands off the fresh water and invest in desalination.

coldfront

• Life Member
Iím a water and wastewater treatment operator. One of the biggest hurdles to desalination is the cost. And in my professional opinion itís the best way to go for coastal communities. Potable water for industry, irrigation, and consumption puts a huge strain on our already limited fresh water sources. Obviously in some places like where I live, Wells and surface water plants are the only course of action, but cities on the coast need to get their hands off the fresh water and invest in desalination.
good thoughts SHC.  one might think that those folks that live on the COAST next to the biggest pond in the world... might also factor in that they basically live in a DESERT that has always had limited amounts of water.
but it's a little like florida too, from what I see:  there are times where there's no water (drought) interspersed with cycles where they have above average rainfall and snowfall.
have also heard a bit of the challenge with lowered reservoir levels has been need to continue spilling to support endangered fish species in some of the river systems.  that's admirable.  I'm 'for it'.
but not to the point that they need to run pipelines from other states to support.  not with all that Pacific Ocean right at their doorstep.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
I lived a lot of my younger life in California and I think the true answer is more reservoirs to hold the water when they get it. Of Course a drought can't be beat but there are time with above average rainfall and snow pack that could really help the state if there were more reservoirs to hold it.

I've read that there are advances in desalination that might make it an option, cost wise, before too long. If they don't do something soon, no matter the cost it's going to me necessary.

Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Keep your hands off the Great Lakes please, we don't want the powers that be to use our water to flush their waste.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pat Dilling

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I agree that desalination is the only method that actually produces more water rather than redistributing existing water.  California's population has doubled since the 1970s, Arizona and Nevada have also seen significant increases.  All of these areas are arid climates.  More water storage is certainly needed, but that also has limitations.  All of our reservoirs were full in 2019, now just 2 years later, many are nearly drained.  Desalination is expensive, but it has worked well in many middle Eastern countries.  Coastal locations have an abundance of sun, wind and wave action that can be used to generate the much of the power needed for desalination.  Southern California's significant reliance on water transported from Northern California has it's limitations as all those putting demands on it have shown. 

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
I didn't realize all the lakes were full just two years ago... I guess that is proof enough that the population has exceeded the water supply.

You all still trying to grow rice in the desert?

Cork's Reel Service