Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Ultimate Basser's turned Youtubers, support group thread

(Read 7172 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I just got home, turned on my YouTube, and there's FD and something about a chicken. First video, no kidding.

Dale
If you wanna hear God laugh, tell him your plans...

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
I should start bringing a different colored shirt and change them out when the pattern changes so it looks like a totally different trip   lo

That's funny because I have to look around the closet for the shirt I wore the last time I was in the shop so it looks like I did the project in one shot instead of two months. LOL
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Marine Coat One

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
That's funny because I have to look around the closet for the shirt I wore the last time I was in the shop so it looks like I did the project in one shot instead of two months. LOL

~roflmao ~roflmao
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
Years ago I took a speech class as part of my college degree (needed it to get promoted in the upper echelon of the A.F.) The instructor for that class, just so happen to be our channel 12 weather man and an avid outdoorsman. Obviously we hit it off and I got A's, I got the A's because I get diarrhea of the mouth especially when I can circle a speech around fishing LOL anyway off topic

Several years later I get a tasking from the President of the Freshwater Division of Mister Twister. "Mike I need you to go to the lake and do some videos for these new products. We're sending Patrick to do the filming!" Patrick is my old speech teacher and head honcho at the TV station. Now the pressure is on.

His biggest piece of advice for video work was to over emphasize, he said when you think you're amped up and hitting the points hard, amp it a little more. If you can reach the used car lot status then you're gonna sell baits.

I never did get that amped up LOL but we got some good footage that was never used LOL Guess I'm pretty ugly or something like that ~roflmao

My longwinded post was to say, Patrick who's been in the TV business so long he's better in front of the camera than real life, tells all his new guys to over exaggerate. He also tells the new guys, see yourself in the camera lens, and talk to yourself just like you did in the mirror as a kid trying to rehearse asking that girl out, teenagers have all the confidence in the world when no one important is looking. When it came to video he said, be happy with how ever the first take looks and sounds. Generally the first take is honest and great, as long as you don't screw up with a bad word or completely get off topic like I have done with this post....

This all coming from a guy who has yet to get his channel off the ground. I have tons of footage, just crazy slow about editing....
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Good stuff Mike, thank you for sharing.  ~c~ ~beer~

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Huh. I NEVER talked to myself in the mirror concerning girls. What a waste!

I'm figuring things out, besides the hours that it will take to make good edits. I'm figuring out that I need to go to the Wal Mart and actually try different gasses with different magnifications. All the ones I've bought the last 6-7 years I just grabbed off the shelf. It's not working.

I think I need to get off of this laptop and onto a real computer. This "touch mouse"(or whatever it's called) doesn't work well with my short, fat fingers. It makes editing using these slide bars a real pain.

I need to get comfortable with my family being around when I shoot video. One of my daughters walked up the other day and surprised me while on her way to the garden. I choked a little, I think.

My other daughter has liked my first video, but so far none of the the three have said anything. Probably because it's "just Dad".

Dale

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Oh yeah, on the WIN side, I found out why I couldn't figure out some of the software. The user guide I was using was for the wrong version. Dummy.

And folks are gonna watch my videos WHY?

Dale

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
And folks are gonna watch my videos WHY?
Dale

Because you are unpolished, and entertaining.  My best vids are bloopers, oh yea and a couple of reviews of stuff years ago. 
Wish I had some of my old Twitch streams, THOSE are embarrassing AND entertaining. Oh yea, how about a link to your channel?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass

FD

• Life Member
The feed back I'm getting, at least from my "fringe" circle of friends, is that they are appealing and mildly entertaining because they are NOT polished commercials.

Plus my edits are getting better.

*********    insider tip.  *********

Start your edits with a pencil and paper before you start shooting video.  Not my idea but I have adopted it.

The chickens weren't staged BUT they were planned for.  I knew at some point they would interrupt a video but I did not know when, so I had that line in my pocket.  I did not think it would be the first five seconds of video after I came up with the idea.  The crap I said after that was just that, crap, so I cut it.

I look a lot more comfortable when I have a plan.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   CPF Lures Pro Staff

FD

• Life Member
Huh. I NEVER talked to myself in the mirror concerning girls. What a waste!

I'm figuring things out, besides the hours that it will take to make good edits. I'm figuring out that I need to go to the Wal Mart and actually try different gasses with different magnifications. All the ones I've bought the last 6-7 years I just grabbed off the shelf. It's not working.

I think I need to get off of this laptop and onto a real computer. This "touch mouse"(or whatever it's called) doesn't work well with my short, fat fingers. It makes editing using these slide bars a real pain.

I need to get comfortable with my family being around when I shoot video. One of my daughters walked up the other day and surprised me while on her way to the garden. I choked a little, I think.

My other daughter has liked my first video, but so far none of the the three have said anything. Probably because it's "just Dad".

Dale
Dale,

If your laptop is running fast enough to edit then I would just add another monitor and a good mouse.

I upgraded to one of these.  Not cheap at $99 but after editing just one video with it I think it was worth the investment.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

Capt. BassinLou

Since my wife and kids know that Wednesday's are my fishing/video day, they presented me with an early birthday present.

A new action camera with a bunch of accessories.

I have been eyeing this camera for a while, due its price point and features that are on par against its much pricier competitors.

I will be breaking in this new camera tomorrow. :)

Capt. BassinLou

This camera is tiny!!

FD

• Life Member
Battery life?  Aux power supply?  Water proof ish?

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

Capt. BassinLou

Battery life?  Aux power supply?  Water proof ish?

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

Its comparable to several GoPro blacks from the 7 up to the latest 9. Main thing for me is that it has video looping, video review, 4k if I choose to go that route, dual screens, and good voice command features.

Marine Coat One

Capt. BassinLou

I went ahead and ordered the rest of the tools I needed to complete what I think is a quality recording setup.  A higher capacity SD card, micro phone adapter, and a small omni directional microphone. With that complete, its on to learning a new video editing program, and most important posting content. Lots and lots of content. I'm going to be busy.  ~sweat ~sweat  I can now also provide 2 camera angles since I still have the 2nd camera.  :surrender: :surrender:

Brian in VA

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Great thread, how are you all doing on views and subscribers?

I started a channel 10 years ago, I uploaded a fee rough videos and forgot about it.  Thought I would get back into it, logged in and those videos had over 120,000+ views and 160+ subscribers. My newer videos seem slow to get views even though the SEO and keywords are spot on for the topics.

Are you all sharing your videos on social media?
Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:36:04 PM by Brian in VA

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I started a Facebook page, but I'll have a hard time begging for views. As hard as this is to do, at least in the time it takes, I just don't feel comfortable with the "like, comment, subscribe" deal. I've been at this, this time, for less than a week, and of course just a few views, etc.

I did just post my fourth video, and guess what? It's a BASS FISHIN' video.

Lawd a mercy.

Dale

Capt. BassinLou

Man,,, watching you guys posting vids makes me want to get out there and record!!  Especially with the new camera!! Unfortunately I'm sidelined for a bit.  :'(

FD

• Life Member
Great thread, how are you all doing on views and subscribers?

I started a channel 10 years ago, I uploaded a fee rough videos and forgot about it.  Thought I would get back into it, logged in and those videos had over 120,000+ views and 160+ subscribers. My newer videos seem slow to get views even though the SEO and keywords are spot on for the topics.

Are you all sharing your videos on social media?
Time is your friend on YouTube.   I'm trying not to pay to much attention to stats but they are starting to grow just 2 weeks into being serious about it.

I have goals to reach by the end of the year but the best thing for me to do is put out quality videos that people actually want to watch.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

FD

• Life Member
I started a Facebook page, but I'll have a hard time begging for views. As hard as this is to do, at least in the time it takes, I just don't feel comfortable with the "like, comment, subscribe" deal. I've been at this, this time, for less than a week, and of course just a few views, etc.

I did just post my fourth video, and guess what? It's a BASS FISHIN' video.

Lawd a mercy.

Dale
And it was your best one yet!  I want to see the boat video.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

FD

• Life Member
Nerd tip...

If you build a public Playlist in you channel that has all of your videos in it, YouTube will suggest videos off that list when the video they are watching is over.

It's like your waitress suggesting a piece of pie for dessert . That can help get your watch time stats up.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

Capt. BassinLou

Sooo,,,  I may have solved my auxiliary battery issue when I'm in the little boat. Watching over other people's creativity, I managed to rig a chest mount with an auxiliary power source. Looks like I'm in business. Field test, hopefully on Fri!!

Check it out:

Used reusable Zipties

Zip tied auxiliary battery

Overhead view

Front view

Mirror view with chest mount, camera, and auxiliary battery mounted.

Capt. BassinLou

My biggest challenge here might be my hooksets. I may have to alter my setting angle to avoid smashing the rod up against the camera.

FD

• Life Member
Your biggest challenge is going to be the heat.  You're going to get wearing that rig.  Nice job on the ingenuity on your setup.

We'll get a yolostick mount in the USS Bathtub next month.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures