Ultimate Basser's turned Youtubers, support group thread

Started by Capt. BassinLou, July 17, 2021, 08:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

:-* :-* this idea hit me just now actually. I was reviewing footage from my outing yesterday, and I just didn't like it, so I scrapped all the footage. Bad idea? Maybe?

Here's where this support group idea popped into my head. Several UB members are currently active YouTubers, and several of us newbies have just recently begun to explore and begin channels of our own.

My goal here is hopefully this thread can serve as a location where members can check in, post a question, ask for help, look or offer advice on "xyz" topic, and the group can collectively lend their support and we can all help each other.

We have inadvertently started doing this already by starting random threads through out the site. By checking in on this thread, we can all corroborate at one meeting place.  :-* 

Thoughts?

If this thread gains any traction, I will sticky the thread.

D.W. Verts

What a silly idea, I mean, what could actually come out of discussing and sharing all of this stuff?

Probably a lot. Thanks Lou.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 17, 2021, 08:46:40 AM
What a silly idea, I mean, what could actually come out of discussing and sharing all of this stuff?

Probably a lot. Thanks Lou.

Dale

;) ~beer~

Capt. BassinLou

I will kick things off since I proposed this idea. Duh..

Despite the several challenges of starting my own channel. The one challenge that is a constant for me right now is finding my groove in front of the camera. Watching myself on video, I see glimpses of the real me on video, but most of the time I'm asking myself who the hell is that, and where's the real Lou??
The advice of picturing and talking to one of you guys in front of me instead of "talking" to the camera is a sound idea, it just hasn't clicked for me yet. Any other ideas?

Yes, and I also know I can go to YouTube and find the answer to my questions, but that defeats the purpose of our community. Although the mention of a specific YouTube video that has helped someone will be welcomed.

FD

I always talk to myself when I'm on the boat.  But up until now it had been just random mumble, mumble, mumble.  Now I just do it louder and edit out most of the randomness...

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

FD

I forgot to mention that this thread is an awesome idea. 

Having listened to over 100 hours of YouTube instruction over the last couple of weeks, I have found some of it confusing or contradictory.   I have distilled (a term our resident hickbilly should relate to ) it down to something that is meaningful to me.  Here we can all share what we've learned that is important to us, and others can learn from our mistakes.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

D.W. Verts

Hmmm. They have tutorial videos. Interesting. But I reckon I'll pass. This is ME. If it don't work then it don't work.

Lou, that groove? I get it. I've shot six videos so far and have yet to feel 100% comfortable. I THINK that maybe putting someone else in the video with you would maybe help? Also, and I do know this- find something that you are completely comfortable with, stick your nose in it, and hold on. That's what I'm aiming for.

Of course, playing for short audiences I think may get kind of old. So, because I'm so up on these things, I made me a new Facebook page last night. So, linked with my old one and the one I have for my business, that should bring in at least some traffic. That's how all of this works, right?

We'll see. Getting the editing crap down is gonna be my issue. I haven't finished a video completely yet because I can't find the screens, panels, whatever that have some of the tools it says I need. I may have to watch a tutorial video on THAT. Lord help me.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 17, 2021, 11:02:30 AM
Hmmm. They have tutorial videos. Interesting. But I reckon I'll pass. This is ME. If it don't work then it don't work.

Lou, that groove? I get it. I've shot six videos so far and have yet to feel 100% comfortable. I THINK that maybe putting someone else in the video with you would maybe help? Also, and I do know this- find something that you are completely comfortable with, stick your nose in it, and hold on. That's what I'm aiming for.

Of course, playing for short audiences I think may get kind of old. So, because I'm so up on these things, I made me a new Facebook page last night. So, linked with my old one and the one I have for my business, that should bring in at least some traffic. That's how all of this works, right?

We'll see. Getting the editing crap down is gonna be my issue. I haven't finished a video completely yet because I can't find the screens, panels, whatever that have some of the tools it says I need. I may have to watch a tutorial video on THAT. Lord help me.

Dale
I guess the old adage goes, practice makes perfect.

What bums me out from yesterday's footage is, although the words just weren't flowing right, my background and natural lighting was awesome!! :(

FlatsNBay

Great idea Lou. From an outside observer, I had the chance to fish with a few YouTube successful anglers. It seems to me, when they hook a fish, they turn the switch and go into almost a theatrical mode for the camera. You almost have to accept that you will change a little for the camera.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on July 17, 2021, 01:20:20 PM
Great idea Lou. From an outside observer, I had the chance to fish with a few YouTube successful anglers. It seems to me, when they hook a fish, they turn the switch and go into almost a theatrical mode for the camera. You almost have to accept that you will change a little for the camera.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Finding that persona is the challenge. Too much and it's fake, too little and people go to sleep. Work in progress I guess, work in progress.

RangerAndBass

I really like this thread Lou. My videos are for me, so it's about hooking a good fish. So I don't have the same worry. Though I can say after watching a couple of Lee's videos, he's a natural.
So I will follow this thread and my questions will probably be technical.
thanks for the idea.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: RangerAndBass on July 17, 2021, 04:37:56 PM
I really like this thread Lou. My videos are for me, so it's about hooking a good fish. So I don't have the same worry. Though I can say after watching a couple of Lee's videos, he's a natural.
thanks for the idea.

Appreciate the response R&B, this thread is intended to help us all.  ~beer~

Pferox

Get in the habit of posting EVERY trip and more.  The more you video, the easier it becomes.  Remember also that what you think is crap, others see as gold.
That is something I learned from my woodworking.  Nothing I have made is any good in my opinion, but everybody else thinks it is great.  Same thing goes for our videos, we are our worst critics.

I don't go by what YouTube says, but that is why I have such a crappy little channel, which I like it that way, I don't want to go big or go home.

I think it might be a good idea to post in this thread a link to your channel for those who haven't seen your stuff.

Sorry some random thoughts, great idea Lou, hope we can make this rock.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pferoxtheskeeterguy

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Pferox on July 17, 2021, 05:52:41 PM
Get in the habit of posting EVERY trip and more.  The more you video, the easier it becomes.  Remember also that what you think is crap, others see as gold.
That is something I learned from my woodworking.  Nothing I have made is any good in my opinion, but everybody else thinks it is great.  Same thing goes for our videos, we are our worst critics.

I don't go by what YouTube says, but that is why I have such a crappy little channel, which I like it that way, I don't want to go big or go home.

I think it might be a good idea to post in this thread a link to your channel for those who haven't seen your stuff.

Valid points Jim, appreciate the information my friend.  ~beer~

D.W. Verts

Some serious wisdom here. Thanks everyone for provoking good thoughts. I believe this positive energy will help us all.

I continue to struggle with the relatively easy to use software. I thought I would post a video a day, but I've missed the third time. No biggie.

Dale

Pferox

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 17, 2021, 10:57:29 PM
Some serious wisdom here. Thanks everyone for provoking good thoughts. I believe this positive energy will help us all.

I continue to struggle with the relatively easy to use software. I thought I would post a video a day, but I've missed the third time. No biggie.

Dale

Dale, start out with one a week, and if you get more uploaded than you are an overachiever!  ~bb 
When I got sick I started with the tank game videos.  I usually played a few games a day and captured them.  Then I would process them with my software in the simplest way I could.  I would then upload a batch of em, and then schedule them to post once or twice a week.  I got so far ahead of myself that I was uploading and scheduling almost a year in advance.  This actually helped out when I had my bad few days in a row, or when I went into surgery, because the site just kept uploading and nobody was the wiser that I wasn't there.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

FD

Quote from: Pferox on July 17, 2021, 05:52:41 PM

Thanks for that advise Jim.  I'm a subscriber now.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

FD

Quote from: RangerAndBass on July 17, 2021, 04:37:56 PM
thanks for the idea.

Thanks Bryn.

It's funny how if I shoot 4 hours of footage, spend 5 hours editing, I can look look like I'm comfortable in a 7 minute video. 

Josh tells me his ratio is 10:1, and he does this for a living.

Now that I'm learning the editing tips and tricks, my editing time is coming down, but my shoot time is going to stay high because of what I'm trying to catch on tape.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

FD

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 17, 2021, 09:53:23 AM
      I'm asking myself who the hell is that, and where's the real Lou??

The advice of picturing and talking to one of you guys in front of me instead of "talking" to the camera is a sound idea, it just hasn't clicked for me yet. Any other ideas?

Stop being director, producer, camera man, sound guy and all those other things in your head....as soon as you press record.

Start fishing and Tell Me A Story. 

Lord knows we can't shut you up in person...and what you have to say is either interesting or funny or both.

I recorded 3 intros and 4 outros that I cut and pasted together to get something that looked decent.  Just put a bunch on tape and fix it in editing.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FD on July 18, 2021, 03:52:55 AM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 17, 2021, 09:53:23 AM
      I'm asking myself who the hell is that, and where's the real Lou??

Stop being director, producer, camera man, sound guy and all those other things in your head....as soon as you press record.
Lord knows we can't shut you up in person...and what you have to say is either interesting or funny or both.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

That's exactly what's going on at first, but as the day wears on however, those factors become  less important in the forefront of my mind and I can relax and fish.

lo lo If that camera had the ability to hold a conversation, my videos would be 10 hours long!!  lo lo

Good stuff FD, thanks!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 17, 2021, 10:57:29 PM

Dale

I'm ok with posting a video a week, 2 tops for me right now. I'm switching to another video editor pretty soon and I need to familiarize myself with a whole new system, with a ton of new features.  :shocking: :shocking:  I started dabbling with music tracks and my head exploded!!  lo lo But I'm learning a well placed sound track, changes the viewing experience. The challenge in all of this is TIME!!  lo

D.W. Verts

And then last night I turn on YouTube before I went to bed. The day before I had finally signed on as myself, and quit using "guest", so the whole run of what's there to watch had changed- it isn't "personalized" yet.

And lo and behold, these freakin' videos started popping up, from freaks of nature like Bassin Korea and FD! Cool, but sad and weird. Somehow these computers know what I'm doing, there's no WAY this was a coincidence. Anyway, I've been trying to get some of everyone's stuff watched this last week or so, but with these coming on my YouTube feed last night, well...

Ya'll cost me some sleep. Cool.

Dale

FD

One thing I've learned.

Start editing with a pencil and paper  before you start shooting.  What I do is make myself some notes of things I want to talk about in my videos.  If the fishing is hot, then the video edits itself.

But when it's slow I have some teaching points to shoot in the middle of shooting the whole trip.

It was like that on my outing on 7/11.  I've already produced two videos out of that footage and there is still one more to go.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

Bassinkorea

Quote from: FD on July 18, 2021, 12:16:48 PM
It was like that on my outing on 7/11.  I've already produced two videos out of that footage and there is still one more to go.

I love days like those (but they don't come around all that often).
There were several days last year where I was able to get the bass to react well to several different patterns, so I was able to make a video for each pattern  :-*

I should start bringing a different colored shirt and change them out when the pattern changes so it looks like a totally different trip   lo
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

FD

Today video is exporting at the moment.  It will be up in a bit in the FL fishing reports.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures