Ultimate Basser's turned Youtubers, support group thread

Started by Capt. BassinLou, July 17, 2021, 08:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FD on July 21, 2021, 12:29:09 PM
Your biggest challenge is going to be the heat.  You're going to get wearing that rig.  Nice job on the ingenuity on your setup.

We'll get a yolostick mount in the USS Bathtub next month.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Thanks! Definitely sounds like a plan FD. In the mean time however, I think this may help tremendously in the interim. As far as the heat though, you raise a good point. I'll report my findings after Fri's outing.

D.W. Verts

Wow, is all this some cool stuff or what.

I realized that since I'm watching everybody on my TV, that it's hard to show I've been to your channels... So I'm trying to make sure and give credit where it is due.

I was on YouTube last night, when I scroll down and the little caption above said "Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts viewers also watched-". How cool is that? Except- they were mostly watching survival-type doomsday prepper stuff. And camping. Yawn.

THEN I'm just going thru the channels, looking at fishing stuff and sprint car racing, when lo and behold, there I was, with one of my own.

It's the little thrills nowadays.

Lou, the very first video I shot last week was one of the Jon boat and its' plans. I need to edit it and get it put up.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

SD card, Microphone adapter and Microphone arrived!!

Capt. BassinLou

In case anyone was interested, this is the  Microphone adapter, and Microphone I bought.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on July 21, 2021, 02:09:27 PM
Wow, is all this some cool stuff or what.

I realized that since I'm watching everybody on my TV, that it's hard to show I've been to your channels... So I'm trying to make sure and give credit where it is due.

I was on YouTube last night, when I scroll down and the little caption above said "Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts viewers also watched-". How cool is that? Except- they were mostly watching survival-type doomsday prepper stuff. And camping. Yawn.

THEN I'm just going thru the channels, looking at fishing stuff and sprint car racing, when lo and behold, there I was, with one of my own.

It's the little thrills nowadays.

Lou, the very first video I shot last week was one of the Jon boat and its' plans. I need to edit it and get it put up.

Dale

I'm happy to see this thread took off the way it did. It was a crap shoot of an idea, but it's cool to see how we are corroborating to improve our channels.  ~c~ ~beer~

Capt. BassinLou

The further down the action camera rabbit hole I go, I'm learning about shutter speeds, bitrates, white balance, and color grades,,, yeah I know!! :o :o Now, ND filter lenses have caught my attention, especially the polarized ones. That means the lens on the action camera can be swapped out for a polarized lens, helping one record on the water and reducing glare significantly.... hmmmm.....  :surrender: :help: lo

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Brian in VA on July 20, 2021, 07:46:28 PM
Great thread, how are you all doing on views and subscribers?

I started a channel 10 years ago, I uploaded a fee rough videos and forgot about it.  Thought I would get back into it, logged in and those videos had over 120,000+ views and 160+ subscribers. My newer videos seem slow to get views even though the SEO and keywords are spot on for the topics.

Are you all sharing your videos on social media?

I have been YouTubin' for around 18 months or so. For the majority of that time my subscriber #'s was really low and stagnant, but for whatever reason the last few weeks my numbers have been steadily growing daily. Not sure what I did differently  lo
I do often post a link to my YT videos on my FB page and those videos definitely get more views than the videos I don't link.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 21, 2021, 08:57:26 AM
Sooo,,,  I may have solved my auxiliary battery issue when I'm in the little boat. Watching over other people's creativity, I managed to rig a chest mount with an auxiliary power source. Looks like I'm in business. Field test, hopefully on Fri!!

Looks really good Lou, but I would be concerned about the battery pack and sweat in your Florida heat  ~sun
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bassinkorea on July 21, 2021, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 21, 2021, 08:57:26 AM
Sooo,,,  I may have solved my auxiliary battery issue when I'm in the little boat. Watching over other people's creativity, I managed to rig a chest mount with an auxiliary power source. Looks like I'm in business. Field test, hopefully on Fri!!

Looks really good Lou, but I would be concerned about the battery pack and sweat in your Florida heat  ~sun
Thanks BK. Let's see what my findings are. Heat is definitely going to be an issue. Our temps will be in the low 90's but with 100+ heat index. I will be tested, the camera will be tested and the battery pack will be tested with heat like that.

Brian in VA

Quote from: FD on July 21, 2021, 04:20:37 AM
Nerd tip...

If you build a public Playlist in you channel that has all of your videos in it, YouTube will suggest videos off that list when the video they are watching is over.

It's like your waitress suggesting a piece of pie for dessert . That can help get your watch time stats up.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

I will have to try this, thanks

Brian in VA

I had my Hobie Outback loaded and all ready to do some filming this evening for small mouth in the kayak.  15 minutes from my office I remembered I left my gopros and batteries on my desk.  I said screw it, got to the ramp and the sky looked off.  Pulled up the radar and afternoon storms were blowing up.  Oh well, went home, will try again tomorrow evening.

I want to be respectful of the forum and not spam links - but I would love to see the videos you all have done - more importantly your channels to learn what I can do different. I don't know if you all can share your channel here and not break the rules.  If not shoot me a message with your channel!

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

D.W. Verts

We are all loyal UB supporters, and guess what? Ultimate Bass supports us too. Good videos will help this community. Just watch.

Dale

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Brian in VA on July 21, 2021, 07:10:52 PM
I had my Hobie Outback loaded and all ready to do some filming this evening for small mouth in the kayak.  15 minutes from my office I remembered I left my gopros and batteries on my desk.  I said screw it, got to the ramp and the sky looked off.  Pulled up the radar and afternoon storms were blowing up.  Oh well, went home, will try again tomorrow evening.

I want to be respectful of the forum and not spam links - but I would love to see the videos you all have done - more importantly your channels to learn what I can do different. I don't know if you all can share your channel here and not break the rules.  If not shoot me a message with your channel!
Our videos are posted over on UB's video forum.

Brian in VA

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 21, 2021, 07:15:53 PM

Dang, I missed that.  Will head over

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Brian in VA on July 21, 2021, 07:18:05 PM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 21, 2021, 07:15:53 PM

Dang, I missed that.  Will head over
Enjoy, and thank you for your participation on this thread.

Pferox

Hey Brian, your salt water video is in the right place, that is kind of a catch all for anything salty.

Man that hobie is the bomb, need to see a video just on it and how you rig it for salt, and fresh, since I bet both are different riggings.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Brian in VA

Quote from: Pferox on July 22, 2021, 09:17:22 AM
Hey Brian, your salt water video is in the right place, that is kind of a catch all for anything salty.

Man that hobie is the bomb, need to see a video just on it and how you rig it for salt, and fresh, since I bet both are different riggings.

Thanks!  I am working on a video on how I rig my kayaks.  The hobie is very nice, and the Bonafide still holds a place in my heart as a solid and comfortable kayak.

Brian in VA

One thing I am noticing is one of two things is happening

A. embedded YouTube videos arent being counted in "views" in YouTube
B. or, the stats in YouTube's Studio dashboards are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind, by 24+ hours

I am leaning towards B personally

SFL BassHunter

Hey guys! I've been gone for a while because well, I just haven't been bass fishing. Some folks might have wondered where the heck I went...or not...probably not LMAO! But I'll tell you anyways, cause what else is a forum for?

So about 3 and a half years ago I started collecting cards again. That overlapped with my fishing hobby for some time. I still had a ton of time for fishing since collecting isn't that time consuming. But about 2 and a half years ago I decided to not just collect, but also start a youtube channel. That's right, if there are any collectors out there on this forum, then you probably know that on youtube people make videos about their collections, or opening packs and stuff of the sort. I got into the pack opening on youtube and decided to give it a go.
Now when I say card collecting, I am talking about Pokemon cards specifically. Yes Pokemon...not Poke Mans, or Pokie Mans...or Pokemanz  ~roflmao. Now at this point half of you tuned out cause I'm a nerd. That's cool. Half of the half still reading are probably on the fence right now if you want to continue reading. That's also cool! lol.  ~beer~

Anyways so my Pokemon channel really started because I wanted to learn more about video, sound and editing, and the easiest thing I could think of was showing off my cards and opening Pokemon cards in my videos. 15 minutes of recording vs. 8 hours (for fishing channel). This really became a huge time consuming endeavor. I actually started making videos almost daily, and editing them took a good 2-3 hours and were pretty trash...
As I got better at it and improved my software and skills editing still continued at 2-3 hours per video cause the software got harder to use and I was doing more and more with my edits.

These days I usually record on the weekends and edit on the weekends. I make 1-4 videos for the upcoming week. (Been tough lately...motivation is a huge factor.) But as time has gone on, I now have 3 channels to manage. Yes, my Pokemon channel which is my main channel, and currently somewhere around 2,730 subs, a second channel, for Dragon Ball Super (I am still a nerd), and also I am now part of a 5 person podcast about Tradable card games (mostly Pokemon). Yes there are 4 other nerds like me out in the world. LOL  :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

So with the fact that I spend so much time on my youtube channels, I really have not had much time for fishing. It's funny, back when I was fishing with some of my friends here, like Lou, and Big G, I could tell my family, I had fishing plans already when there was some last minute family gathering or party. They were all totally cool with it since it was already planned. Now when I tell them I have videos to record and edit they give me the guilt trip cause they just don't understand it.  :help: They usually tell me well it's not that important it's just Pokemon cards...  :-\ :-\

Bassinlou told me about this thread and I figure I can chime in on the support group as I've learned so much about this youtube stuff.
A lot of people that don't make content think it's easy. It's actually as easy or difficult as you want it to be. Least amount of time consuming or most amount of time as you want it to be also. But if you're trying to actively grow a channel and some day have it make you some money, it is actual work. Youtube for me is a business. One that started as a hobby and transformed into a business. Monetized, making a few bucks here and there. But it's a business I have put in a lot of time, effort and money into. Camera gear, lighting, audio stuff, software, a more powerful computer, and the constant expense of buying cards to open for the channel.
But with all that, it's still worth it for me! I do enjoy it, and I enjoy collecting. So It makes it easier to work on something you like.

I am going to try to be around the forum a little more often and check in on this thread from time to time as well as my Florida boys!

Thanks for listening!
SFL Basshunter (Youtube: Zenturion XYZ)

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Brian in VA on July 22, 2021, 10:41:13 AM
One thing I am noticing is one of two things is happening

A. embedded YouTube videos arent being counted in "views" in YouTube
B. or, the stats in YouTube's Studio dashboards are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind, by 24+ hours

I am leaning towards B personally

Hey Brian,
Yeah youtube studio is usually behind. Also the numbers on the pc studio and phone studio always have different numbers. Embedded videos should still count as views. Technically it still plays off youtube.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Rick!! Thank you for dropping buy brother. Hopefully you can stop by more often. You have been a big help to me over the last few weeks, and I'm sure a lot of the members following will have some questions of their own. Watched a couple your videos and I was impressed with your on camera persona. That's an aspect of filming that I'm still working on. I wish you the best of luck on your channel, and thanks again for stopping by.  ~beer~ ~beer~

big g

Rick great to see you back on the site, now I have to get you back in the boat and see if I can still get you on some nice fish.  The heat and grandkids have kept me off the water as much as in the past.  You do have an open invitation to go anytime your ready. :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on July 22, 2021, 03:12:26 PM
Rick!! Thank you for dropping buy brother. Hopefully you can stop by more often. You have been a big help to me over the last few weeks, and I'm sure a lot of the members following will have some questions of their own. Watched a couple your videos and I was impressed with your on camera persona. That's an aspect of filming that I'm still working on. I wish you the best of luck on your channel, and thanks again for stopping by.  ~beer~ ~beer~
Thanks dude! Yeah it's taken some time to get comfortable with being on camera. Now it's a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: big g on July 22, 2021, 03:50:10 PM
Rick great to see you back on the site, now I have to get you back in the boat and see if I can still get you on some nice fish.  The heat and grandkids have kept me off the water as much as in the past.  You do have an open invitation to go anytime your ready. :-*
Hey George! Thanks! Yeah can't wait to get out and do some fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing