Florida Bass on a Fly rod?

Started by FD, July 17, 2021, 10:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FD

Yep.

Josh and I took our first Fly fishing lesson this morning.  We had a great time and shot some pretty good video.  He is  leaving on a trip to Wyoming this week so finishing up the footage will have to wait until August...But a video is coming!

Stay tuned...

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

apenland01

We do fairly well here in Arizona bass fishing with our fly rods.  I have a 8wt rod with an Orvis Clearwater reel loaded up with 8WF line.  I use a regular 6-8 pound mono or fluoro leader about 4-8' long depending on what and how I'm fishing.  I just got back into fly fishing last year and it can be hot fishing from April-October here....

Mike Cork

Haven't do that in 30 years but man what a blast... Looking forward to the video :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

big g

30 years ago there were two old guys that fished the Alley with only Fly Rods.  It was fun to watch them hook a big bass on those long rods when the majority of us were using 5'8" bait casters.  They cleaned up on the top water bite along the outside weed lines. 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Coonrod

I used to fly fish for them (and saltwater fish in FL) almost exclusively. Planning on picking up an 8wt and getting back after them here in Central FL, it's been way to long.  I used to do quite well with the fly rod, streamers and of course my favorite - frogs/poppers.  Nothing like the hole in the water when a big girl sucks in a bass bug.

FD

I went to a fly tying class last week and learned a lot, mostly that a can't see anything anymore.  The components that go into a fly are tiny.

I shot some footage to go in the video.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Eric-Maine

Quote from: FD on July 17, 2021, 10:49:21 AM
Yep.

Josh and I took our first Fly fishing lesson this morning.  We had a great time and shot some pretty good video.  He is  leaving on a trip to Wyoming this week so finishing up the footage will have to wait until August...But a video is coming!

Stay tuned...

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures
Cool stuff. I grew up with a fly rod and got corrupted by what I had been taught was a trash fish. Fly fishing like bass fishing is a very active pursuit. Your always trying to refine your presentation and looking to "match the hatch". Thinking all the time. The two are very similar in that respect. Tournament bass fishing made me a much better fly fisherman. I would never fly fish except when conditions were right. The tournament mindset is the fish are in the water, find them, make them bite.
Two tips I give those new to fly fishing. 1) If you can't get it there in 3 false casts it is too far. 2) You can only get bit when your fly is in the water.
Looking forward to your video.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk