Bass Hunter Baby Review

Started by Capt. BassinLou, June 28, 2020, 08:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

As I mentioned on my previous thread couple of days ago, I purchased FlatsnBay's Bass Hunter Baby yesterday. Ever since he posted his thread about these Bass Hunter boats a few month's ago, my mind started toying with the idea of purchasing one for myself. (That's never good...   lo )

Before I dive into my review, here are the schematics of this boat:

This little boat is exactly 8ft long and it fits in the back of my truck like a glove.

I will not be covering all the details of this little boat, since Flat's did a great job explaining these on his Bass Hunter thread. This short review is specifically about my observation of the fishability and handling  of this boat.

Fishability and handling were my two main concerns when I considered purchasing this style boat.
I'm coming from a boat where its beam is the length of this little boat. That my friends is a significant change, especially when 2 anglers are fishing out of this little boat.

But,,, surprisingly enough, 2 people fishing out of this Bass Hunter Baby is very, very doable. We had to scale down our equipment and tackle tremendously, but with careful planning, we quickly observed how this little boat will be a bass catching machine for us.

Handling: A person of average strength and no orthopedic issues can handle this boat. Carefully mind you, because it will require a degree of effort to unload and move this boat around. With 2 healthy adults however, this curves the level of handling difficulty significantly.

Looking forward to the adventures this Bass Hunter Baby has opened for us, and keep an eye out, because I will be participating on this forum a lot more in the months to come.  ~beer~

Thanks for reading.

Deadeye

Lou if you remember West purchased one of these when they went into the RV Life. He did several Videos of just how stable they are and hard to tip over.

West has lost a lot of weight now, but back then he was a lot bigger than you and try as he might rocking it he had a hard time just trying to flip it. I don't think he ever did.

I know he was able to fish in a LOT of places where they stayed with that boat. Eventually they went to a Driveable RV and the Boat had to go.

But I know he loved it while he had it.  I'm sure you will too.

In Fact I looked at several used ones for a couple of years really thinking hard about them. I honestly think for how I fish I would be happier with one than a Kayak, but I'm killing two birds with one stone by getting a Yak instead.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Deadeye on June 28, 2020, 09:02:41 AM
Lou if you remember West purchased one of these when they went into the RV Life. He did several Videos of just how stable they are and hard to tip over.

West has lost a lot of weight now, but back then he was a lot bigger than you and try as he might rocking it he had a hard time just trying to flip it. I don't think he ever did.

I know he was able to fish in a LOT of places where they stayed with that boat. Eventually they went to a Driveable RV and the Boat had to go.

But I know he loved it while he had it.  I'm sure you will too.

In Fact I looked at several used ones for a couple of years really thinking hard about them. I honestly think for how I fish I would be happier with one than a Kayak, but I'm killing two birds with one stone by getting a Yak instead.

West's videos were the first ones I looked at because I remember he made them. Yes, I agree and knew these boats can not be tipped over. I fished standing my entire outing and my BIL remained sitting with 0 balance issues.

I thought about a kayak for a fleeting second, but those things wreak havoc on my back. I prefer this style of little boat for my tastes because I can stand, or sit and pivot on the seat, and utilize electric propulsion. Yes, a kayak is extremely versatile and can be decked out for bass fishing, but they are not for me.

Capt. BassinLou

I'm thankful FlatsnBay's invited me to fish with him when I expressed my interest in purchasing his boat. Vidoes and literature are great resources to have, but physically fishing out of the boat provided me with information I needed to proceed with my game plan.

FlatsNBay

Best of luck with her Lou. She's in good hands and I'm sure you'll make a ton of great memories with her.

I actually loved that little boat but I was torn with the decision to fish out of it or my new Bass Cat. The Bass Cat won and instead of the little boat sitting, I decided to sell it and Lou was the perfect buyer. I'm excited to see what you can do with her.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on June 28, 2020, 10:30:39 AM
Best of luck with her Lou. She's in good hands and I'm sure you'll make a ton of great memories with her.

I actually loved that little boat but I was torn with the decision to fish out of it or my new Bass Cat. The Bass Cat won and instead of the little boat sitting, I decided to sell it and Lou was the perfect buyer. I'm excited to see what you can do with her.

Thanks bud.

Donald Garner

Lou congrats on the new boat.  I had one similar (-) wheels back in 1982 I want to say it was call a Bass Hunter.  You'll be able to really get into some great looking stinky water with it.  Have fun fishing out it.  Tks for sharing the picture with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lipripper

Way to go Lou and can't wait to ready about your adventures from your new baby.  ~c~ Now get out there and break some records .  ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Bass Hunter Update.

$$ well spent. We are enjoying the hell outta of this little boat. It's been called a bath tub...  lo lo but let me tell you, one can get into some real fishy places with this boat. The stability is amazing, which is great for standing and sight fishing.

I will say however, you will need to build up your legs and back strength to transport and launch this boat especially if the terrain is challenging. Very do able with 2 people, if you're solo... plan it through.

Lipripper

Lou thanks for the update and another nice looking fish  ;PHO) ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FlatsNBay

That little boat is a tank! One thing that I've found is to use the wheels to your advantage. Pull the boat down into the water when launching and pull it out of the water using the back wheels when taking out. Better eat your Wheaties if you are by yourself!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on August 03, 2020, 06:53:01 AM
That little boat is a tank! One thing that I've found is to use the wheels to your advantage. Pull the boat down into the water when launching and pull it out of the water using the back wheels when taking out. Better eat your Wheaties if you are by yourself!

Tough little boat no doubt!!

Capt. BassinLou

BassHunter will be receiving a couple of upgrades soon. I upgraded both the TM and the battery. I went with a 45lb MK Endura max and a 27 series deep cycle battery versus the 24 series and 30lb TM I currently use. The TM boost and bigger battery will help increase my speed, range, and time on the water. Got a couple of more things I need to configure, and I think the boat will be guide ready for those individuals looking for a unique Marshland adventure.  ~cf ~fff

Eric-Maine

The wheels are an awesome addition. I haven't seen them with those.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Eric-Maine on March 21, 2021, 04:27:36 PM

The wheels are an awesome addition. I haven't seen them with those.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yes, the 8ft model comes with tires.

Deadeye

Quote from: Bassinlou on March 21, 2021, 02:41:06 PM
BassHunter will be receiving a couple of upgrades soon. I upgraded both the TM and the battery. I went with a 45lb MK Endura max and a 27 series deep cycle battery versus the 24 series and 30lb TM I currently use. The TM boost and bigger battery will help increase my speed, range, and time on the water. Got a couple of more things I need to configure, and I think the boat will be guide ready for those individuals looking for a unique Marshland adventure.  ~cf ~fff
You want more Time with Power, hook up 2 Batteries in Parallel.

That means take a Cable from the Positive on one battery to the Positive on the other and do the same with a cable on the Negative side.

Still will have 12-volt system but twice the battery strength and lasting power.

I did it with my 50 lb Edge on the little boat and it would go all day vs 4-5 hours with it fading the last hr or so. Just buy good heavy Battery Cables to make the connections with and no problems.

Still will charge as a 12-volt. 

Capt. BassinLou

True... but the extra weight and space the extra battery will take up doesn't work for me. Appreciate the tip.

Capt. BassinLou

Look what arrived yesterday!! Breaking it in tomorrow. ;)

FlatsNBay

Lou, let's see how you rigged out your bathtub, now that you've had her for a while.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on July 30, 2021, 03:03:06 PM
Lou, let's see how you rigged out your bathtub, now that you've had her for a while.

No significant mods as of yet. Before the year is over we will have a light outlet for a yolo-tec connection, and fish finder, along with a lithium battery upgrade.