Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

ICAST Wrap Up

(Read 333 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
Here is the wrap-up of my ICAST experience. I'll break it down into a couple of different posts.

ICAST Cup:

This year, I participated in the ICAST Cup bass tournament for charity. If you aren't familiar with the ICAST Cup, a company sponsor's a team consisting of a professional angler paired with a guest and member of the media. All proceeds from the tournament go towards the America Sportfishing Association. This year, I think over $18,000 was raised. The 4-hour tournament is strictly for bragging rights and a trophy. The tournament is run by Major League Fishing and had a televised weigh-in which was pretty cool.

This year, I hit the jackpot and was paired with Shaw Grigsby for Team Lew's! Our guest was John who was a dealer from SC and I was the media member. I decided to leave my arsenal of Daiwa reels at home because I would be fishing for Team Lew's! LOL. Shaw said that he would provide all of the tackle and equipment!

During the tournament, we had a blast. From the minute that I met Shaw until the weigh-in, Shaw told one story after another and was laughing the entire time. He really is a great guy and what you see on TV is the real Shaw. I thought it was funny that he couldn't get out of teaching mode throughout the day. As an example, I needed to re-rig a worm and Shaw wouldn't let me do it myself. Just as on his TV show, Shaw put on a tutorial about how to Texas Rig a worm. He really is an excellent communicator, and we had a ton of technical fishing questions for him throughout the day.

As far as the fishing, we caught a limit for 7 lbs 1 oz. Shaw didn't practice for the event so he kind of winged it and we just went fishing. We caught fish on a bladed jig and speed worm. It was pretty cool watching Shaw's enthusiasm for catching the smallest fish. He really still has a great time catching bass whether he is competing or not.

Shaw had all of the new Lews signature series of rods that were being debuted at ICAST. I was really impressed with the rods and my favorite was the Andy Montgomery  Thunder Cricket (bladed jig) rod. It felt really good and loaded up really well when a fish hit it. I caught a ton of chain pickerel with it to get a really good feel for the rod. The price point is going to be around the $179 mark for the rod. I also used the worm rod but forgot which model it was. It was really nice and felt great as well.

All in all, I had a blast fishing with Shaw. He was a blast. Even though we came in 28th place out of 50 boats, we had a great time anyway. It took 25 lbs to win, which is really impressive for a 4-hour tournament.

Next up, will be the actual ICAST show. I hope that you will enjoy reading about my experiences.

topdsm0138

• Charter Member
THE Mr Shaw Grigsby?!.. I'm jealous because he was one of the people I idolized (next to Bill Dance, Hank Parker, Jimmy Houston and Roland Martin) growing up.

Congrats!
Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:20:36 PM by topdsm0138
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Simon Belmont

Marine Coat One

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
ICAST Show:

This year, I decided to participate in the New Product Showcase voting process. As a member of the media, I was eligible to vote for the best of the show in each product category. There were so many new products that you could spend several hours looking at just them. I took my vote seriously and voted for what I felt was innovative, but not "Hokey". I voted for products that I would actually find a benefit from using. Much to my surprise, most of my voting selections actually won in each category. That made me feel like my vote counted.

After voting, I walked the show and met up with different companies and different professional anglers that I would like to feature in upcoming articles. I had a very successful show. Many of the BASS Elite Series anglers were not at the show since their NY tournament just concluded before the show.

Coolest things:

Without a doubt, Berkley Fishing had some of the most innovative new baits that I've seen. The new Berkley Powerbait Gilly was impressive to see in person. Definitely give that one a look. Also, the Edwin Evers designed Agent E swimbait is also a great-looking swimbait. It is weighted and looks incredible in the tank. I will be buying both of those for sure. The Berkley series of jigs that are infused with Powerbait all looked incredible.

As far as lines, the new Berkley Durabriad line was really impressive. They showed a video test of the line going head to head against Power Pro. Berkley is also offering many of their braided lines with a smaller spool of fluorocarbon leader material that is attached to the backside of the spool of the braided line. It is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" type of things.

Rods and Reels: As stated earlier, the new Lew's Signature Series of rods looked and felt really nice. If you are a Lew's guy, definitely check them out. Daiwa has some great new reels coming out that were really impressive in person. The limited-edition Tatula SV103 baitcasting reel looked amazing. It's a little above my price range at $299 but it is impressive in the hand. For spinning reels, the Daiwa Ballistic MQ LT was really sweet at $229.

There were so many new and impressive products that I could go on for days. Those were a few of my favorites.

Next up, I'll finish out with some final ICAST thoughts.

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
ICAST Final Thoughts:

The show was noticeably smaller this year with quite a few key companies missing. It was great seeing the fishing industry trying to get back to normal as many of the companies were complaining about lack of product and components from overseas.

It was cool talking with various pros and influencers in the fishing industry. We had an unexpected nice talk with Rick Pierce, the president of Bass Cat Boats. After talking with him, we all commented that Rick is one of a kind in the bass boat industry and has so much incredible knowledge about every minute detail about bass boats.

The highlight of my week came because of a dad moment. I ran into the Gale Force Twins which are a YouTube sensation about fishing. They are two twin 20 something girls who are both boat captains in the Keys and in South Florida. My daughter and I watch their videos together as they are good wholesome family entertainment. My daughter idolizes them. They were nice enough to do a video hello to my daughter and gave her a bunch of Gale Force Twins stuff.  It made my daughter's day!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Good write up Steve.  Your life sure seems to be full of some pretty neat stuff. 

BassmanRudy

• Ultimate Basser
  • I'd Rather be Bass Fishing!! :-)
Man I'm so JELLY!!!!!! Icast would be a dream for me to attend!

Berkley sure did "up the ante" this year!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
Very nice Write Up.

Shaw is and has been on of my favorite Anglers just because he seems to have so much fun fishing.

I have seen some of the new Berkley offering and agree they do look good. 

I saw where JT Kenny said his team won 3rd place in the Tourney.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB