Clear Lake July 27, 2021

Started by Pat Dilling, July 27, 2021, 10:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Dilling

~cf  The Choppo Bite was on!!  Kate and I went to Clear Lake for our Monday fishing date.  Weather was a little cooler, 65 in the morning and low 90s when we quit about 1:45.  Had a slight overcast that made it a little more muggy that we are used to.  Algae bloom has subsided some, at least in the areas we fished.  Clarity was 6" to 2 feet.  Water temp varied from 81-83.  We started fishing on docks in the Rattlesnake arm, my 3rd cast with a Berkley bone Choppo got me a 4.1.  Shortly afterwards Kate caught a nice 2.5.  She used a special technique casting her Hula Stick over a dock rail and into the water.  lo  Fish hit it immediately and ended up hanging about half out of the water.  We were fishing around the docks, but moving between docks I cast a hula stick into the middle of nowhere and my line started moving off.  I set the hook and had to call for the net, it was a 5.35 pounder!  The day continued well with about 10 fish on the Choppo including another 4 pounder.  Kate was happy with her 7 fish and I had close to 20. Our best 5 weighed about 20#.  If throwing plastics or jigs, have some purple on them.  Fish we caught were from 1-15'. Water level is still low, watch out for rocks near shore and be careful launching and retrieving.  They have the docks marked to show where the end of the concrete ramp is.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Mike Cork

Man that sounds like a great day... Thanks for the report... Looking at those pictures with "no" ripple on the lake, I bet it got hot quick....

You are entered into the Dobyns Champion Series rod giveaway, post more reports for more entries
click here for giveaway rules

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pat Dilling

Yeah we were wishing for a breeze a few times.  The slight overcast made it a bit muggy too.  That why we quit before 2!  We were lucky the day was a little cooler than it has been..  Later this week we are going ocean fishing out of Fort Bragg, will be nice and cool there while it is 106 at home.  Are Ocean reports OK?  Some of those rock fish look a lot like bass.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Mike Cork

We have a salt water board  :-*

Wish I could find my way to the west coast again. I used to love fishing from the rocks for capazon (not sure how that's spelled)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service