Messalonski August 3

Started by Eric-Maine, August 04, 2021, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric-Maine

Dale and I wanted some topwater brown. Got up there about 8:30 and headed to the flats at the southern end. Concentrated on 7' -9' over scattered cabbage. Bright sunny skies, 10 mph chop on the water. 60° start warming to 80° Dale threw his chug bug I threw a super spook each getting about the same number of blow ups. These "fun" fishing days I like to try new things. First up was a spro spy bait. Had watched some live on the St. Lawrence and there retrieve was much faster than my last foray with it. Worked great at the steady clip, 2 power spinning 8lb leader. Caught 4 or 5 2 1/2 -3 lb. Next tried a 1.5 squarebill on my rod usually set up for a fluke. 30 lb braid 15lb floro Dobyns 705 sf Long casts and burned it back. Smallies crushed it. Caught another 4 or 5 plus an 8lb bonus pike. Rod was probably a bit stiff, jumped a few off. Will up grade hooks before trying a new rod. Anyway, wolfpack smallies scattered all over the flats. Moving baits were the ticket. Between us 30 or so nice smallies to 3 1/2.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Definitely fun stuff there. I say it all the time but I truly do miss smallmouth bass...

You are entered into the Dobyns Champion Series rod giveaway, post more reports for more entries
click here for giveaway rules

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service