Clear Lake 8-3-21

Started by Pat Dilling, August 05, 2021, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Dilling

My longtime friend and good fishing buddy Fred Preston and I went over to Clear Lake. Fishing was slower than it has been for me, but we did manage a few good ones.  Surprised me that the water temp had dropped a few degrees since the week before.  Was only 78 degrees when we started, but did warm up to 83 before we quite.  Air temp was 66 at 6:30 and low 90s when we quite at 1:30.  Algae bloom is still there, but tolerable.  I believe they have been spraying the weeds as we are not seeing near as many.  We started on a set of docks that has been reliable for over a month and got nothing.  Could be because we threw ploppers for the first 30 minutes and probably passed over some fish that might have hit something underneath.  Moved to #2 spot and still slow, finally picked up a couple on a hula stick and Fred got one. Got a spinning reel/braided line catastrophe and after both of us tried to pick it out, gave up and cut it off.  Moved to some deeper docks, hard to find with the water so low, and picked up a 3.65#.  I think Fred also picked one up there.  Hit a couple more good areas and got nothing.  Had been waiting to go to my big fish spot because it is better late morning.  So late morning pulled up and got positioned.  After about 10 minutes I felt weight on my hula stick and swung on it.  "Fred, I think I need the net!"  Got her in the boat and she bounce between 5.90 and 6.04 on the scale.  I'm calling her a 6 pounder.  ;D  Best one of the summer so far, hits just keep on coming.  We continued to fish and Fred picked up a nice one.  We ended up with 11 fish, 6 for me 5 for Fred.  Tough day by recent standards, but a couple nice fish  ~gf ease the pain a little. All of our fish came on Z-Man Hula Sticks on 3/16 or 1/4 Rugby heads.  We also threw chatterbaits, jigs, senkos, and dropshot.  Lake level continues to drop.  May not be able to launch in another month.  Hope the local county will take advantage of the low water to extend ramps and dredge around them.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Mike Cork

I do miss Clear Lake. It's so target rich, it and the Delta were my favorites.

Thanks for the great report. Do you and Fred still dominate the club?

You are entered into the Dobyns Champion Series rod giveaway, post more reports for more entries
click here for giveaway rules

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pat Dilling

Clear lake has been real good to us for the last few months.  Gold Country Bassers dissolved quite some time ago.  Fred and I are in an "Old Guys" fishing club called the "Slow Trollers"  A pretty apt name since I am one of the young guns at age 71.  We have a fishing event every month, most are Fun Days when we just get together and go fishing, 4 times a year we have a tournament where the winners can take home a whole $25, plus $25 for big fish.  And of course bragging rights which are actually worth more!  We can fish for bass or salmonids (Trout, Salmon, Steelhead) or even both.  Of course trolling is allowed!  We launch when we want to and come in at 1 pm.  Some times members will grill up some lunch.  It is pretty loose and low key.  Fred and I win a few, but the some of these old guys are pretty good sticks.  Neither one of us fish tournaments much anymore.  Just compete against the fish.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Mike Cork

That's my kind of club. I just joined a club that fishes on Wednesdays, launch when you want, pay the ten dollar entry fee at weigh in  lo  We'll fish until three during reasonable temperatures but when it gets hot we quit at 1 and don't fish July and August lo

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service