Technology Sucks- Another Hickbilly Rant

Started by D.W. Verts, August 08, 2021, 12:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

I love to use my brain and work different structure till they tell me where they want to be. I haven't turned on my sonar all year except for walleye trolling.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

coldfront

nice video DW.
currently saving for my 'last' boat (one of those retirement goals).  and electronics are frankly going to take it way up.  once I 'have' that stuff, I won't be playing in the IBASS tournaments.  it's enough of an advantage to just live here on Chick.  but boy are those fish tougher to find when they're out on the ledges.

past weekend national high school tournament:  several teams reported 'touring' ledges for a couple days and never finding a school to fish.

last thought:  a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo but doesn't.  why does that thought keep popping into my head on the videos shot in your restaurant?

lo

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on August 08, 2021, 03:51:19 AM
and electronics are frankly going to take it way up.  once I 'have' that stuff, I won't be playing in the IBASS tournaments. 

You don't think the other competitors aren't currently using high end electronics?   :surrender:

D.W. Verts

I am scared of very little in this world. Red headed women are the worst. That banjo? It scares the S#$%@T out of me. Truly.

Dale

Donald Garner

Tks for sharing the video.  I enjoy watching them.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

Appreciate the video Dale. My take on this topic is the following. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on one's POV, technology is only going to evolve and improve. Those that can afford it will update their tech every few years and stay current with the latest and greatest. Those that can't, can't, due to the price points of these units. If its fair or unfair, that's not for me decide. But,,, observing tournaments, videos, and postings. Anglers still have to have a good understanding or foundation on how to bass fish. I have observed the opposite in some cases, where the angler with the latest and greatest becomes too consumed on their tech, and old school anglers come in and rack up the fish count.  I for one cannot remotely afford to update with today's tech. Hell, I just bought my first gps and side scan unit just 2 years ago.  lo lo And that's because it came with my new boat.  Now,,,, if I had the funds, I would  definitely be updating my FF tech.  ;D ;D

coldfront

Quote from: D.W. Verts on August 08, 2021, 07:25:36 AM
I am scared of very little in this world. Red headed women are the worst. That banjo? It scares the S#$%@T out of me. Truly.

Dale
now Dale, you're starting to have me think you might have more than a little Samuel Clemons in you. 

red-headed women indeed!

coldfront

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 08, 2021, 06:24:28 AM
Quote from: coldfront on August 08, 2021, 03:51:19 AM
and electronics are frankly going to take it way up.  once I 'have' that stuff, I won't be playing in the IBASS tournaments. 

You don't think the other competitors aren't currently using high end electronics?   :surrender:
we all have certain strengths, advantages.  but still have to go out and catch 'em.
boy would I like to have access to that DW Verts 'briar patch'.  or Corks very own Cross Lake.  Instead?  I have to suffer through, 'make do' with Chickamauga.  Dale Hollow.  and some other lakes I dare not name...
the point that Dale made?  that the biggest part of successful fishing is FINDING the fish... one sentence.  ultimate truth.

caddyjoe77

to the opposite point, one that was not really hit on. 

Its summer, fish should be deep right?  Been out chasing the deep fish -- after all i see the shad and the bass chasing them in 14 - 17 feet (thankfully they moved up from the 19 - 23).  Been catching crap. 

my neighbor, caught 14 pounds for 3 fish in 2 feet of water......instincts work more than electronics at least for me as I knew i should have been throwing the swimbait shallow. But instead I have consumed too many "find the fish with your electronics" videos.  I come back with nothing worthwhile. 

this tells me two things:
1. follow your gut first, then rely on electronics. but dont let the stubborn ruin it
2. learn how to know WHEN those electronics fish bite (besides the "streaks")

theres a fine line somewhere -- just dont know where that is yet  lo
BeerMe

Oldfart9999

Knowing the how to find the fish is the most important thing, having a bunch of waypoints and pretty screen shots of fish is useless without knowing where to look for the fish depending on where they would/should be according to the season.  Use what you have and learn where the fish should be and you'll do well.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Deep in summer? Number TWO most important rule in bass fishing...

Never assume anything.

Dale