What line to you like for Rattle Traps?

Started by Pat Dilling, August 14, 2021, 10:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Dilling

Or any lipless crank bait?  I am using Dobyns Fury 705CB Rod.  About ready to respool.  Fishing around weeds, wood and docks.  Sometimes making as long a cast as I can throw.  What do you like and why?

Thanks for ideas

Pat
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

hydrillagorillahunter

Pat I run 14# sniper on a 610 medium fast rod with a metanium20 reel mounted.  The shorter rod allows for a tad more accuracy yet I'm still able to launch 1/2oz lipless cranks 45-50yds easy...super easy.  Down wind 70-80 yd lobs are par for the course.  The rod is a 13 fishing muse black which comes with 7yr warranty.  Believe it or not it's one of the best if not the best medium action rods I've fished and I have plenty of high end premium rods, yet I seem to always reach for this muse black.

I don't go 12# fluoro because I fish lipless cranks aggressively...ripping hard out of grass etc...and 14# sniper has held up well for me and casts well due to the slight stretch it has and line diameter.  If I ran 12# it would be sunline assassin as I easily prefer it over sniper. 

Donald Garner

In Open Water I use Berkley Big Game Clear 12 - 15lb test.  If I'm fishing laydowns, grass, standing timber its Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

FlatsNBay

I'm currently using 12 lb. Trilene 100% fluorocarbon. I'd go up if cover dictated it.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Deadeye

If it's more Open Water I use 12 lb Flouro, but lately I've moved up to 15 lb due to the grass n stuff we fish in here in Florida.

I also love Sunline Assassin as well. But it's been hard for me to find lately

Capt. BassinLou

I throw it on 12lb mono, or 30lb braid with 12lb leader.

Wizard

17 lb. mono for most uses. Floating Traps are 12 lb. mono.

Wizard

Pat Dilling

I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

fishballer06

14-17lb fluoro carbon for more open water.

40-50lb braid with a fluoro leader if I'm ripping it through heavier weeds.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

bassgal

The same line you use for small to medium cranks, rattle traps are one of the easiest cranks to throw, I often pitch them on spinning reels with 6lb mono line, had a few taken from me by Mr Bass.

Smallie_Stalker

The short answer from me is that I use braid for everything except one particular cranking technique.

While I use the same braid, I use a softer action rod in open water and over rocks or clean bottoms, and a faster tip around grass so I can rip the bait free.

I know, I'm always the odd man out.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

big g

(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

BassmanRudy

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

SHC286

Great thing about 40# + braid with almost any crank, if you're fishing around stumps you can usually get it back if you get hung up. Just keep spare hooks on hand, wrap the line around a stick, boat paddle, net handle, and do NOT be facing it when you manage to pull it loose. You can lose an eye or even worse.

geneinnc

Go ahead and laugh because I'm pretty much down to Yo-Zuri hybrid. I've tried everything but I come back to the YZ. $11/600 yards sure helps. At that price I generally re-spool 3 times a year. Memory seems to as good as Sniper and other non hybrids. Every time I open a new spool I'm expecting a bad batch but so far it's been spot on.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk