It's All In The Seat

Started by FlatsNBay, September 17, 2021, 11:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

I learned from selecting a kayak, the level of fishability and comfort comes down to one factor...the seat! Having a seat that is raised up higher than the floor is the key. I've been borrowing yaks from different people and they have provided me with insight. The yak that I'm currently using is a very basic model with a small seat flush with the floor. I've found that it becomes very uncomfortable even after an hour or two. My last trip, I tried sitting on a square throw cushion which made me last a good 4 hours without getting too uncomfortable. If I was in the market for a kayak, I would look for one with a raised lawn chair style of seat. It makes all the difference in the world!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Hobious

Wow. Old thread. I'm chiming in mainly to emphasize how dead it is in here. Haha.

The seat. 100%.  A high seat assist in getting up onto your feet as well.  My seat is low and I'm not that flexible. I have to push off the seat back, but I pop right up.  If it was just a touch higher, it would be easier. I raised it an inch with a good seat cushion. 

Here is the rub;  too high and a kayak gets kinda janky in stability. In waves and boat wakes, I love the low seat. I know guys that raise their seats way up. I've seen them flip.

Princeton_Man

Not a yaker, at least not yet, but I have to agree with Flats. Since you're spending a lot more time on your butt, seat comfort is right up there on the list of wants. I've seen some really nice seats that can adjust on the fly. Even one that will spin 360°. I would want to be able to drop down for rough water and wakes.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club