Lake Seasonal Turnover

Started by Bud Kennedy, September 21, 2021, 09:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

What is the correct method to fish a lake that is in the process of turnover?

Princeton_Man

Here on Claytor, I fish shallower, and fish muddy water. When I do find fish, it's places I usually don't. I hate turnover, especially at Claytor, it's often like fishing in a septic tank.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

Turn over is tough. Here in the south most of our lakes are very shallow and thankfully the turnover happens quickly. Here on a couple of my lakes it actually happens in just a couple days, and in those days, may as well go to breakfast and take your time getting to the lake because it's going to be tough.

On our deeper lakes the turnover can take much longer and unfortunately it scatters the fish. Without a thermocline for them to associate too, they scatter to the wind so to speak. Follow the bait, ie wind blown banks. Crankbaits, lipless cranks, spinnerbaits, chatter baits and cover water. You can still find them deep on points and ledges as well, but it's been my experience that the turn over signals the run to the creeks for most fish species.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Here is a video from Paul Mueller a Dobyns Pro about turnover fishing.

Princeton_Man

I wish Claytor looked that good during turnover!  lo

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Run and gun, catch a fish slow down for a bit then off and at em again. Fishing green grass can be good. I dislike the stink some lakes give off.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 22, 2021, 06:46:10 AM
Run and gun, catch a fish slow down for a bit then off and at em again. Fishing green grass can be good. I dislike the stink some lakes give off.
Rodney
Yup, Claytor sure gets the stink, the water becomes heavily stained, and all the debris. I have to scrub and wash the hull as soon as I get home. 

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

apenland01

In eastern New Mexico, the lakes would turnover, but in Arizona they don't.  The water is deep and it doesn't get cold enough...

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 21, 2021, 09:41:39 AM
What is the correct method to fish a lake that is in the process of turnover?

Find a lake that isn't in or is past turn over. lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.