Elk Hunting

Started by D.W. Verts, September 25, 2021, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

I decided last night that I'm going to do this. Next year, with my stickbow.

I've wanted to do the mountain thing my whole life. Fishing took precedence most of my younger life, then family, then old(er) age took over. Plus being poor doesn't help. But I don't care (and I have T-shirts to prove it). I'm going to make plans for a back country excursion for Elk. It'll also give me more incentive to stay alive and get healthier. No guide, no buddies, just me, whatever I can carry on my back, and a traditional longbow or recurve with my wood arrows.

This isn't about killing an animal. In fact, sometimes that really messes up a good hunt. I want to be off by myself for ten days or so, relying on just myself, and living hard. It's about cleansing the soul. And I've never heard a wild Elk bugle. I'm gonna do this. Time for the research to begin.

Now, back to bass fishin'.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Donald Garner

Good luck on the preparation and the hunt itself.  Keep us posted on this adventure.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Dale going mountain man, that could be dangerous for city folk.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

My trapping handle for years has been the "Ozarkmountainman". Seriously.

Dale

Mike Cork

You don't have to go very far, Arkansas is getting a pretty good population of them. However getting a tag is hard.

This adventure will make for some great YT stuff that I for one can't wait to watch ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

D.W. Verts

We've got 'em in MO. Talk about a hard tag to draw.

No, I imagine it'll be Colorado although I'm keeping my options open. The research has just begun (I'd welcome tips).

Dale

Bud Kennedy

Dale if you really don't care about killing the animal, why don't you just do your hunt with a camera.  Seems to me it would provide the same satisfaction as a kill hunt.  Just maybe have a personal defense weapon on your hip and go hunting with the camera.

D.W. Verts

Well Bud, that is an idea. But the dream for most of my life has been to so this with a stickbow and one of my wood arrows. I really don't care about the kill, I want the EXPERIENCE. But to take an Elk with my primitive equipment, and survive the trip, well, that would cap off a big chunk of my life. And also to win the Bass Masters Classic (if you're gonna dream...)

Wait a minute. Personal defense? What's the deal- have the looters invaded the mountains of the West?

Dale

Fun4me

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 28, 2021, 04:42:29 PM

Wait a minute. Personal defense? What's the deal- have the looters invaded the mountains of the West?

Dale

I think what Bud is alluding to is the amount of animals that would like nothing more than to take a taste of you should you wander into their area. Not to mention pack animals that might just decide to track you. I applaud you for going the primitive route, but there is zero chance I would try that without a more modern pew pew as a backup. 

Bud Kennedy

I wasn't alluding to anything.  I thought you indicated you did not want to kill the animal.  But now I see that you do.  So forget using the camera suggestion.

D.W. Verts

Oh, I got it. GRIZZLY BEARS. Trust me, I don't taste good enough for one of them.

I've seen many a great hunting trip "ruined" by taking down an animal. And to have to pack a quartered out Elk over miles of rough terrain, that would be a good way to ruin a hunt. Of course, it would also be a GREAT way to end a hunt. And an Elk tenderloin from an animal that I took myself, cooked over a campfire at about 10,000 feet. Sirs, it would be hard to beat that.

Dale

Fun4me

Not only Grizzly bears, but Elk themselves should they decide to go mono y mono. YouTube elk attacking people. Go for what you know, but that old saying, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, may not be such a bad thing, considering you're going into the wilderness (their world). JMO

D.W. Verts

I have a Desert Eagle .44 Mag. Is that enough, you think...? It weighs four pounds, nine ounces loaded. I don't know if I can afford that much weight.

Dale

Fun4me

Depends. How much walking are you anticipating? i'd rather have that than nothing.

D.W. Verts

Well, I have an eight-inch Ka-Bar that weighs a fraction of the .44.

Dale

Wizard

Dale, Elk are dangerous. Not as bad as a Moose or as ferocious as a Grissled Bear. An Elk can dead run up to 200 feet. To be honest, they don't taste that good.  A Desert Eagle is great to look at. VERY SCARY but bulky and hard to shoot a cow in the butt from over 25 foot.
Ten days alone, hunting and maybe being hunted, is a long time without training. Hell, it's a long time WITH training.  No backup, no training and you don't even have a cell phone. I was in great physical shape when I was in the Ural Mountains watching a Spetsnaz unit. Realize I STOPPED doing this just at the time you want to start. If you fo this. let me help outfit you.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Okay, ya'll can call me whatever you want, but I LIKE the idea of maybe being "hunted". C'mon, that may really be living. New things. Pushing the limits. Making stuff happen. Being THERE when it does.

I've lost too much of my romanticism over the years. Too much time spent worrying about my family, my hurts, my financials (what financials, HA!) The YouTube thing has me inspired, so I'm gonna do new things. Oh, I'm going to keep up the bass fishing, you bet. But getting into the woods of Missouri more (I LIVE in the woods) then taking it to another level, well, that's what it's all about,. That "comfort zone" crap SUCKS.

If I was to die doing this (and I hope that a year from now this isn't re-printed as a sorrowful epitaph) then so be it. At least I'll have died LIVING. Dig? And why the heck are so many folks so afraid of the END. Isn't it really just a new beginning? Peace.

Dale

Nutt

Man, go do you.  Myself, I would love to do something like what you are planning on doing. 
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Fun4me

This adventure is starting to sound like a Chris McCandless book...

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Fun4me on September 29, 2021, 05:07:21 PM
This adventure is starting to sound like a Chris McCandless book...

Or maybe Stephen King.

Dale

Wizard

Brother, I understand you now.  It's called Adrenaline Rush. I lived for it and you want to experence it. I won't chirp you again. For me, It was 9 months of planning and 15  minutes of Rush. Would I do it again? Hell, Yes!  Lots of critters live in the Ural mountains. I would like to go again and look for something I believe I saw  1984.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

As always I will seek your advice. As for that deal in '84? THAT might require a side arm. Thanks.

Dale

Oldfart9999

Query; are you in good enough shape to wander the wilds? 10 days worth of gear, even at a bar minimum is a fair amount of weight unless you're planning an air drop.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.