Reflection on Marine Batteries

Started by Wizard, September 29, 2021, 09:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

I have no idea on the number of marine batteries I've used in my decades of fishing. Until 2008 I always upgraded to the latest and greatest based upon reviews I had researched. The last month, as my health improved, I realized my boat batteries were now 7 years old.  So, new batteries are needed.  With the much lowered amount of fishing I will do, how much do I need to spend? 
Using Optimum batteries and Walmart EverStart as examples, the price point between the two was clear. Checking with dealers, 1 starting battery and 3 deep cycle batteries averaged
$1400-1600 for Optimum vs. $500-600 for EverStart. Given that I am in my mid 70's and batteries last 4-5 years, it is possible my batteries may outlive me. So, EverStart it is and the $1000 of savings will make the Bait Monkey happy.

Wizard

oldjim

the everstart max 29 deep cycle which i usually buy were out of stock in shreveport
oldjim

D.W. Verts

Oh heck, Wiz- go with the Lithiums.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Princeton_Man

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 29, 2021, 12:47:34 PM
Oh heck, Wiz- go with the Lithiums.

Dale
That's where I thought he was going with that. Lithiums are light, easy for a 70, maybe even 80 year old to lift/carry. Not to mention Lithiums don't age as fast as Lead/acid, so when your still fishing 10 years from now, you won't need new batteries.  ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Go with the Wally World ones and stay on top of the maintenance, if you're still fishing in 5 years do it again, still less money than the others.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.