Minn Kota Terrova - it just stops spinning

Started by Emketart, September 28, 2021, 08:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emketart

I bought a used 2017 boat with a 2017 Minn Kota Terrova on it. Every time out it is working great until it isn't. It prop will just stop spinning. The turning, left and right works fine. The battery strength shows full strength. The prop just stops spinning. I thought it was the batteries even though it said the batteries were fine, so I bought new batteries and the same thing happens. When it quits none of the methods to turn the prop on work. Not the toe button, the constant button or the middle button at the heel. Sometimes after about a 1/2 hour to an hour it will start working again, but not always. It always works the first time I try it the next time out though and it always runs for at least 1/2 hour up to 1 1/2 hours with off and on usage, a lot of spot locking.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Emketart on September 28, 2021, 08:26:11 PM
I bought a used 2017 boat with a 2017 Minn Kota Terrova on it. Every time out it is working great until it isn't. It prop will just stop spinning. The turning, left and right works fine. The battery strength shows full strength. The prop just stops spinning. I thought it was the batteries even though it said the batteries were fine, so I bought new batteries and the same thing happens. When it quits none of the methods to turn the prop on work. Not the toe button, the constant button or the middle button at the heel. Sometimes after about a 1/2 hour to an hour it will start working again, but not always. It always works the first time I try it the next time out though and it always runs for at least 1/2 hour up to 1 1/2 hours with off and on usage, a lot of spot locking.
Sounds like a thermal short in the control board located in the mount base. You could just blindly replace it for a couple hundred dollars and relearn it, but I'd probably buy a can of circuit cooler and try to locate the short. It's most like a solder joint on the board that can be re-soldered.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

oldjim

if its been used a lot the spring that pushes the brushes into the arbor mat be weak, sometimes you can tap on the motor by the brushes with a hammer and they will spring back, but not to hard

oldjim

Oldfart9999

Have you pulled the prop to be sure there is nothing there that would cause the problem?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.