Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Belton Lake Central Texas 2 Oct 21 (Fishing for Freedom Tournament)

(Read 121 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • UB Life Member & LSCR Club Member
Good evening to all,
Saturday was the Fishing for Freedom Bass Tournament held on Belton Lake.  My partner Tom and I launched out of Bass Landing over at BLORA> Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area on Ft. Hood.  We slid the Stratos off the trailer at 5:15am and made our way to the staging area waiting for safe light release.  Safe light release was @ 7:10am after the National Anthem was preformed.  The tournament director started calling boat numbers and it didn't take long at all to launch the First Flight of 25 boats.   I was in the 2nd Flight boat # 29 at 7:20am we made our first cast at 7:50 I turned on the livewell pumps  ;)  we were on the board.  We put at total of (7) bass in the boat with only (3) measuring out at 14inches  ~shade

Weather
The weather forecast called for rain and possible thunderstorm.  What we got was fog, overcast skies that turned into Bright Blue Skies with a front moving in around 11am with lots of clouds and a little wind.  Temps ranged from 66 - 91dgrs with 55% humidity and a NE wind @ 2mph that switched to a S wind @ 6mphs.

Lake conditions
Water was slightly stain to clear depending on your location.  Temps ranged from 77-83dgrs depending on your location also.

Fish Catching Locations and baits
We fished the North Bluff Area across from BLORA.  We ran to the West end of the bluffs and fished a cove that has submerged timber, gravel and rock lined banks.  After boating (2) of our keeper bass from this location we moved out and fished the 2 mile stretch of the bluffs.  We fished this same area the entire tournament.  Each pass we made we changed up baits.  The last pass we made in the cove around 11am I caught our last keeper flippin a laydown coming off the bank out into the water.
North Bluff Bank Line pictures

Baits Used
Berkley Chopper 3.5 Bone top water bait

Keitech 3.3 5/16th Dirty Finesse Swim Jig in a Purple Haze

Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver 4.20 Bloody Mary Texas Rigged

Equipment used during the tournament
Tom's Swim Jig setup:  Rod> Shimano SLX 6ft 10in (M) casting rod; Reel > Shimano SLX MGL 70 Baitcaster 8.1:1 ratio low profile reel; Line > Seaguar Abraz X Fluorocarbon 12lb test; Lure > Keitech 3.3 Finesse 5/16 swim jig in Purple Haze Color Skirt.

Don's Top water bait setup:  Rod > Dobyns Fury Series FR 734C ; Reel > Abu Garcia Revo S 6.3:1 low profile bait casting reel;  Line > Berkley Big Game Clear 20lb test; Lure > Berkley Chopper 3.5 Bone Color

Flipping / Pitching setup:  Rod > (LSCR) Lee Smith Custom Made Rod 7ft (H) with Spiral Wrapped Guides; Reel > Abu Garcia Revo SX low profile bait casting reel; Line > Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 20lb test; Hook > Trokar 3/0 Flipping Hook; Worm Weight > 3/8 oz Picasso Pro Metal Camo Weigh; Sinker Stop > BPS model; Lure > Reaction Innovation Sweet Beaver 4.20 Bloody Mary Texas Rigged.

UB fishing machine
2004 Stratos 285 PRO XL with 2004 Yamaha VMax 150; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Fortrex 80lb Trolling Motor

Beings we were in the 2nd Flight we had a check in time of 1:15pm.  It was a great day to be on the water sharing the Stratos with Tom.  He's a retired Enlisted Navy guy.  We didn't cash a check but we sure had a grand time cutting up with one another.
Tom and me after the weigh in

Tom it was a pleasure meeting and sharing the boat with ya.  We'll hook up on another trip soon.  Thank you for your Service to Our Great Nation.

Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:15:31 PM by Donald Garner
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat  Yamaha 25hp outboard
Personal Best 8.33lbs

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB