Daiwa SVTW103 Life Cycle

Started by Bud Kennedy, October 22, 2021, 07:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

For the past almost five years I have only been using the Daiwa SVTW103 series of reels.  Up until recently I have been very pleased at the reel's performance year after year.  As a little history, I wish to state these reels have been properly maintained professionally but I may have slipped on my own personal attention to ongoing care.

So, now five years later I am starting to notice that these reels just are not as good as they were a couple of years ago.  At times they feel sluggish on the spool and the braking system does not seem as effective as in the past.  I am now wondering if these reels may have just reached a point where I should consider making some changes to a newer platform.

This past year there has not been a lot of banter about reels here on the site.  What little there has been is mostly about the 13 fishing series.  My interests however are trending toward Shimano SLX series but even then I am certainly not sure I have enough information to make a respectable selection.  There are just some many models in the series and I don't understand what the fine points might be on these models or should I look at a different model.  I want to stay in a smaller package and want to be in the 7 gear ratio or less models.    I would like some clear recommendation from experienced reel users and am not interested in advertising banter just user feedback and experience.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 22, 2021, 07:06:40 PM
For the past almost five years I have only been using the Daiwa SVTW103 series of reels.  Up until recently I have been very pleased at the reel's performance year after year.  As a little history, I wish to state these reels have been properly maintained professionally but I may have slipped on my own personal attention to ongoing care.

So, now five years later I am starting to notice that these reels just are not as good as they were a couple of years ago.  At times they feel sluggish on the spool and the braking system does not seem as effective as in the past.  I am now wondering if these reels may have just reached a point where I should consider making some changes to a newer platform.

This past year there has not been a lot of banter about reels here on the site.  What little there has been is mostly about the 13 fishing series.  My interests however are trending toward Shimano SLX series but even then I am certainly not sure I have enough information to make a respectable selection.  There are just some many models in the series and I don't understand what the fine points might be on these models or should I look at a different model.  I want to stay in a smaller package and want to be in the 7 gear ratio or less models.    I would like some clear recommendation from experienced reel users and am not interested in advertising banter just user feedback and experience.

Bud,

I have not had a single problem with any of my SV or SVTW reels.  Granted I havent fished as hard this year as I normally do thanks to work, but I still wonder where the sluggishness is?

BeerMe

Oldfart9999

I would let Mike go through them, if there is a problem he'll find it and fix it. You like the reels and are used to them, I wouldn't give up on them without having him go through them first.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Mike has been the servicer.  Thats why I am questioning the expected life cycle of the reels

Mike Cork

I don't remember when we serviced those last. But do me a favor, pull the spool out and wipe it off with a clean lint free rag. If you have the patients, take a tooth pick and wrap a little bit of cotton around it and run it through the pinion gear bore (where the spool slides into the reel). That should free the reel up quite a bit.

When it comes to spool braking, older reels do need to have the spool tension knob adjusted some. If you are getting a lot of back lashes, then you might need to tighten it a quarter turn. If you're not getting the casting distance you want, then back it out a turn.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 25, 2021, 10:57:05 AM
I don't remember when we serviced those last. But do me a favor, pull the spool out and wipe it off with a clean lint free rag. If you have the patients, take a tooth pick and wrap a little bit of cotton around it and run it through the pinion gear bore (where the spool slides into the reel). That should free the reel up quite a bit.

When it comes to spool braking, older reels do need to have the spool tension knob adjusted some. If you are getting a lot of back lashes, then you might need to tighten it a quarter turn. If you're not getting the casting distance you want, then back it out a turn.
On that last note about the spool tension knob would replacing the washers there help with something like this?

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

Yes replacing the spool tension spacers could help.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 26, 2021, 08:38:35 AM
Yes replacing the spool tension spacers could help.
Thanks.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

I don't see any reason that with a good cleaning and lube you can't get many good years out of a well made reel, you may occasionally have to replace some parts but the basics of the reel should still be good. IMHO
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.