Rain at Last!

Started by Pat Dilling, October 24, 2021, 08:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Dilling

Been raining for almost 24 hours, we need it so badly. A favorite Lake Oroville was at record low levels has come up 7 feet since 9 this morning.  Hope it comes up so we can launch a boat!
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

twocold

Pat,
I'm in Anderson 6.17 inches since midnight . Hope Shasta is retaining some!

Dog

inch here hope to see more by end of day tomorrow

Oldfart9999

Hope y'all get all you need.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

I was watching the 9er's game last night and the rain falling was like gold....

Hope it will change the weather pattern.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pat Dilling

Oroville has now risen 23 feet since Saturday morning.  Camp Far West is up 31 feet.  We will be back on concrete ramps pretty soon.  Woo Hoo!

Bud Kennedy

With all that run off, do you expect a bunch of debris that can be a navigation problem?

Donald Garner

Glad to hear ya'll are getting that needed rain.  I was checking out the forecast for yawls area and they made it sound like massive flooding was occurring?
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Mike Cork

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 25, 2021, 04:39:00 PM
With all that run off, do you expect a bunch of debris that can be a navigation problem?

Back when I lived there and there was a large rise in the lake there would be huge fields of debris depending on the wind directions, you could drive around most of it. But anglers had to be extremely cautious of the single logs that were quickly waterlogged because they had been in one of the fires. A waterlogged log is nearly submerged and hard to see.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pat Dilling

Yes, because our reservoirs fall and rise on an annual, basis floating debris is an issue.  The bigger State run lakes have long log booms chained together with a couple high powered tugs on either end and they will use those to "sweep" areas of the lake with lots of debris and then corral it in coves in parts of the lake.  Then when water goes back down they either burn it or come in with loaders and trucks and haul it away.  In the mean time boaters have to watch carefully and it is best not to run wide open.  It's especially bad if there is any kind of chop or whitecaps on the water.  I know of several folks who lost lower units or props.

Donald, most the flooding has been in creeks, ditches and roads where the rain is coming down faster than it can be drained.  There have been a number of big slides in the areas that had fires in the last couple years.