Knots you enjoy tying.

Started by Capt. BassinLou, November 18, 2021, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

I know,,, I know,,, its a weird question, but then again, look who's asking it.  lo lo  Does anyone have knots they enjoy tying? Or is just me?

I know in a pinch, we don't think about the knot we tie, and use. However does anyone find enjoyment tying knots or specific knot when they are prepping for an outing the next day?

Capt. BassinLou

Since I posed the question, a knot that I REALLY enjoy tying is the FG knot. At first the knot was a real pita to learn. However, over time, focusing on each individual wrap puts me in a trance and really relaxes me. I know,,, weird!!  ~b~ lo

Oldfart9999

Not that tying knots is pleasure, it isn't anymore, I use the palomar 95 % of the time. I have tremors so knot tying can be an adventure I would rather not do.
Rodney
PS You're not weird, strange, maybe thwacked but not weird.  lo lo ;)
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FishinBuck07

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on November 18, 2021, 04:06:46 PM
Since I posed the question, a knot that I REALLY enjoy tying is the FG knot. At first the knot was a real pita to learn. However, over time, focusing on each individual wrap puts me in a trance and really relaxes me. I know,,, weird!!  ~b~ lo
You aren't weird, you are insane if you enjoy tying that knot!!!  haha ~roflmao

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FishinBuck07 on November 19, 2021, 01:07:09 PM

Lol!! You want to try a complicated knot? Check out the Bimini twist. Great knot, but that one took me a bit.  ~roflmao

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 19, 2021, 05:57:49 AM
Not that tying knots is pleasure, it isn't anymore. I have tremors so knot tying can be an adventure I would rather not do.
Rodney

Me too unfortunately. I need simple knots now so Palomar and the Trilene knot are the two I tie the most now.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Nope, you're just CRUSTY.

99.99% of the knots I tie are the Palomar, in one variation or another. And there ain't nothin' fun about tying knots. Not any more.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

RangerAndBass

A new knot to me this year thats "fun" to tie and I like for floro, is the double San Diego Jam knot.
Just seems stronger.  Some find it strange having 3 tag ends buy that makes it fun too.
(Call me a nerd if you want)

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

zippyduck

palomar and double palomar I have only had the knot fail twice in three years.
And I don't enjoy tying knots.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Oldfart9999

Quote from: RangerAndBass on November 21, 2021, 08:00:45 PM
A new knot to me this year thats "fun" to tie and I like for floro, is the double San Diego Jam knot.
Just seems stronger.  Some find it strange having 3 tag ends buy that makes it fun too.

A properly tied palomar is still one of if not the best knot to tie, like any knot just takes enough care to do it right.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

CountBassula

no matter how many times I try the trillen knot always slips when using 6 or 8 pound Sufix mono if I do 5-6 loops. I have to do 7 to 9 before it's stable :( so with line under 10 pounds I just go with Palomar knot and call it a day. it has never slipped on me and I can confidently leave 2-3mm of line sticking out.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: CountBassula on May 11, 2022, 11:07:53 AM
no matter how many times I try the trillen knot always slips when using 6 or 8 pound Sufix mono if I do 5-6 loops. I have to do 7 to 9 before it's stable :( so with line under 10 pounds I just go with Palomar knot and call it a day. it has never slipped on me and I can confidently leave 2-3mm of line sticking out.
The uni is solid knot for all types of line.

CountBassula

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 11, 2022, 11:23:14 AM
The uni is solid knot for all types of line.

I was about to ask... what is the best knot for line to hook for 6, 8, and 10 pound Sufix line?

Pipepro

Quote from: RangerAndBass on November 21, 2021, 08:00:45 PM

Agreed. It's my fluoro "go to" knot for chatterbaits and jigs.

Shin knot for my line to leader but I just saw Ott tie the fg and his method worked for me so I may switch over to that. Otherwise everything else is a Palomar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

big g

I use a palomar 95% of the time, simple quick and solid, will work on all line types.  I have a good line to line knot that is solid and has worked for over 40 years.  Don't know the name, but these two take care of all my needs.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

apenland01

The one I enjoy tying is the Lefty Kreh for a braid to fluoro leader.  What I use the most is a double improved clinch knot for straight fluoro or mono to a hook or bait.

topdsm0138

I've only ever used three knots. The Clinch Knot, The Palomar Knot and the Snell Knot. That's all I've ever needed.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

CountBassula

Funny thing... clinch knot (improved) snapped on me today (10 pound Sufix mono) when pulling a large snakehead out of the water. I'm switching to Palomar from now on...

CountBassula

I know it snapped because my bobber stopper was still on the line, and the weight and red bead I put on the line before the hook was on the ground where the snakehead shook and snapped it. unfortunately she must have escaped with the hook still attached :(

Capt. BassinLou

I have experimented and fished with many knots over the years, and over that time I have basically narrowed it down to 3.

- Uni knot
- Modified Uni (Fish-n-fool knot)
- FG for joining 2 knots.

jwkelley51

I think they call it a triple loop knot but it's the trilene knot with 2 passes through the eye. Been working good.

1ReelFanatik

First......I didn't know there were people that enjoyed tying knots.

Second: I've used the Uni Knot on 4#-17# mono/co-polymer and 5#-60# braid and never had a problem with breakage.

Third: I've got 3 different tools to aid in tying knots.  Someday I may actually use one.   lo

acesover

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on November 19, 2021, 01:57:02 PM

Lol!! You want to try a complicated knot? Check out the Bimini twist. Great knot, but that one took me a bit.  ~roflmao
When I went to work at Bass Pro, the Lead told us guys in the fly shop that we had to learn the Bimini Twist, looked on Youtube and found a way to tie one in under a minute,,, EZPZ

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: acesover on December 21, 2022, 04:25:01 PM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on November 19, 2021, 01:57:02 PM

When I went to work at Bass Pro, the Lead told us guys in the fly shop that we had to learn the Bimini Twist, looked on Youtube and found a way to tie one in under a minute,,, EZPZ
I couldn't tie the Bimini right now, haven't tied it in 3 years, but when I did, I get it down pretty fast.

chrisD46

I really enjoy tying the (new to me) Seaguar / Lefty Kreh knot for joining braid to FC leader .