Live-well Fill Pump Running All the Time

Started by icuOklaCity, November 23, 2021, 11:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icuOklaCity

I fished  out my boat on Saturday with no issues. Parked boat under carport when I got home.. Didn't hear or notice pump running the couple of times I was outside Sunday, or when I went to work Monday morning, nor was it running when I came home for lunch. When I got home Monday evening as I'm walking by the boat I noticed  a pump running. My grandson was at the house all day so I was thinking he may had flip the switch for the live-well or bilge. So I flipped both turning them on and off several times. Pump never turns off... I ended up having to disconnect the battery to get the pump to turn off.

I haven't had time yet to see what's going on, and not even sure which of the pumps was actually running, as I was just trying to get it turned off as fast as I could before it burned up. Not know how long it had been running...

Has anybody had a issue like this where a pump/switch shorts out and cause the pump to run all the time..?? Or anyone have a ideal what would cause this..???

zippyduck

Do you have switches on the front deck? I had a trim switch do that on my boat.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

icuOklaCity

Quote from: zippyduck on November 23, 2021, 11:14:25 PM
Do you have switches on the front deck? I had a trim switch do that on my boat.

Yes there is Nav light Switch, Trim Switch, 1 acc switch

Princeton_Man

Lots of things to rule out...
Are you sure it's the livewell pump? It could be the automatic bilge pump. Some have an internal float switch while others have an external float switch. They sometimes short out. If a critter like a cat or mouse can get into the bilge area, they could trigger the external switch.

Next...

Is there a timer switch? One of my first thoughts is the timer is on. Next, is there a relay for the pumps or do they run directly off the switch?

My last and probably worst thought is a short in the wiring, possibly a rodent chewed into the wiring harness. I hope it's not that.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Deadeye

In line with PM above /\

The first thing I would check is the Bilge Pump---Especially if the Boat is outside and you have had Rain.

The switches would be the next thing I would check ONCE I determined which Pump was actually running.

You should have 2 Livewell Pumps and 1 Bilge Pump. You should know if your Bilge Pump is an Off/On model or Auto  model or Both.

Mine is both, but I added the Auto Float Switch and it is on a separate switch by design.

ALSO, I NEVER leave my Power ON when Charging. Especially the TM Batteries. Just part of Start Up and Shut Down routine.

icuOklaCity

Thanks all for the replies... I had time today to actually check out what was going on.  It turned out to be one of the 2 bilge pumps, not my Live-well pumps... There is one that runs off the switch and don't power on until switch is set to auto or on.  The other connected to a Auto Float switch which is powered at all times. This switch shorted open causing that pump to run. Simple fix, but it did cost me 1 bilge pump. 

Princeton_Man

Quote from: icuOklaCity on November 25, 2021, 11:32:31 PM
Thanks all for the replies... I had time today to actually check out what was going on.  It turned out to be one of the 2 bilge pumps, not my Live-well pumps... There is one that runs off the switch and don't power on until switch is set to auto or on.  The other connected to a Auto Float switch which is powered at all times. This switch shorted open causing that pump to run. Simple fix, but it did cost me 1 bilge pump.
Glad you found it and it was a simple fix. ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club