UB'ers turned YouTuber's Support Thread Chapter 2 (2022)

Started by Capt. BassinLou, December 30, 2021, 03:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Previously on Ultimate Basser's turned YouTubers's support thread,,,,  we followed a small group of Ultimate Bass members that decided to create their own unique bass fishing YouTube Channels. Here are there stories,,,, Better yet,,,, follow this thread and get to know the creators  ;)

In July of 2021, the Ultimate Basser's turned Youtuber's support thread was created for any UB member who had a YouTube channel or was thinking of creating a YouTube channel and needed a place to ask questions. Little did I know the thread was going to take off and help so many of us.

Chapter 2  will be a continuance of the previous thread, however the topics based on the current trend of discussions will be more along the lines of the nuts and bolts in understanding analytics, along with various technical aspects of YouTube.

Last but not least, I wanted to say "thank you" to all the UB members who took the time to post and shared information on the 2021 thread. Your contributions were all greatly appreciated.  ~beer~ ~c~

and with that, good luck to all the creators in 2022, may your YouTube channels kick ass!!  ~beer~

FD

This is where I will summarize the first 6 months of pain.... ~b~
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Capt. BassinLou

Here's a valuable 2022 tip when you want to capture an important moment while shooting your videos. Remember to press the stop/record button!!
Man,,, what I silly rookie mistake.  ~b~ ~b~ I lost the footage of the most important part of my video yesterday because I got caught up with all the excitement of landing a great fish, and the 5 minute loop expired.  :'( :'( :'( All the great footage was on that 5 min loop!!  :( 
The good news is, all the other good stuff is intact. Whew, so all is not lost.

FD

Capt. BassinLou

Here's an organizational tip, open a new 2022 YT file for your 2022 videos.

Pferox

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on January 01, 2022, 09:19:26 AM
Here's an organizational tip, open a new 2022 YT file for your 2022 videos.

I usually do mine monthly, easier to sift through.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

D.W. Verts

Well I started the year by going over the 400 subscriber mark last night. Lots of bored folks out there.

My very first arrowhead hunting video last summer I found a good one, hit record, and apparently DIDN'T hit record. I thought later that I could re-create the moment, but that would turn me into an actor. Which I ain't.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Finished editing yesterday's outing, like I figured, I lost the footage landing the big bass, but I did have a couple of other clips that showed glimpses of the bass, so I tied those in as B-roll. Hopefully I pulled that off Ok.

I still have to finish editing this past Wed's Lake O outing. That trip wasn't as nearly as productive as yesterdays trip.  ;)

Steve81

Just got done reading the 24 pages from the Chapter 1 thread. This was a great idea! I wish I would have been more active here in 2021.

For me, I haven't uploaded a video since May '21. I really just didn't get out on the water much and being busy in other ways sort of killed my drive to make any videos. However, I pumped out at least 60 videos in 2020 (maybe a lot more, I really don't know) and was really making great strides. Currently, I am sitting at 920(ish) subscribers. To be clear, I am not working towards monetization. That has never been my motivation. However, I do believe that anything I do should be done to the best of my abilities. If that means that I do well enough to make a few pennies off of YouTube, I won't be upset with that.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Steve81 on January 02, 2022, 12:12:05 AM
Just got done reading the 24 pages from the Chapter 1 thread. This was a great idea! I wish I would have been more active here in 2021.

For me, I haven't uploaded a video since May '21. I really just didn't get out on the water much and being busy in other ways sort of killed my drive to make any videos. However, I pumped out at least 60 videos in 2020 (maybe a lot more, I really don't know) and was really making great strides. Currently, I am sitting at 920(ish) subscribers. To be clear, I am not working towards monetization. That has never been my motivation. However, I do believe that anything I do should be done to the best of my abilities. If that means that I do well enough to make a few pennies off of YouTube, I won't be upset with that.

Happy you enjoyed the thread Steve. Great to see your back. I remember when you were cranking out videos in 2020. I'm sure you can share valuable video tips for many of us to learn from. Welcome back.  ~beer~

big g

I for sure don't understand a thing you guys are doing, but I sure enjoy watching your vids!  I hope 2022 is productive fishing and filming for all involved!  May a double digit catch be in all your future filming!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on January 02, 2022, 01:11:09 PM
I for sure don't understand a thing you guys are doing, but I sure enjoy watching your vids!  I hope 2022 is productive fishing and filming for all involved!  May a double digit catch be in all your future filming!

I for one appreciate your support George, thank you!!

Capt. BassinLou

My first video of 2022 just dropped. Titled: One Bait, One Phenomenal Result. Let's see how this one does.

Its funny how videos are perceived. From the creators standpoint you feel you did a great job with the work and receive very little views, next video you feel you did an ok job and the video takes off. Crazy.

FD

I just published my first of 2022.  A colab of sorts between AE Fishing and UB.  We will see how it works.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FD on January 02, 2022, 06:46:49 PM
I just published my first of 2022.  A colab of sorts between AE Fishing and UB.  We will see how it works.

It's working. Well done.

Steve81

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on January 02, 2022, 02:31:15 PM
My first video of 2022 just dropped. Titled: One Bait, One Phenomenal Result. Let's see how this one does.

Its funny how videos are perceived. From the creators standpoint you feel you did a great job with the work and receive very little views, next video you feel you did an ok job and the video takes off. Crazy.

I feel the opposite about my videos. Rarely do I feel like I have a good, finished product. Now the reviews or the comments may reflect otherwise but I always feel like I should have done a better job.

The thing that surprised me the most that a great day of fishing doesn't necessarily translate into a great fishing video. Those particular occasions are the videos that take the most care when editing.

Steve81

A couple of personal tips when creating videos:

1) Try to tell a story: For a lot of guys that make videos, what the viewer gets is more of a highlight video of the angler's day on the water. I find that what most viewers actually want (myself included) is to feel like they were right there with you. It is hard to feel that way simply by watching a highlight reel. I mean, think about any major sports game that you watched on television. If it was a good game, you probably felt very invested in the game. Yet when you watched the highlights of that same game later, it just didn't feel the same. It's like the highlight just missed the "it" factor that the full game had. Now take that same mindset and think about the best fishing videos you have watched. To me, the best ones have been when the angler has taken me through everything (good and bad) that has happened through the day.

To spin this into my own videos, I always note things and voice them to the camera. Things like how I am noticing bait movements or the lack of bait, the changing conditions, reasonings as to why I think the bite is picking up/slowing down compared to earlier in the day. I do all of these little actions to get the viewer to feel like they are in the boat with me. That way, when things are going well or something incredible happens, the viewer feels like they were apart of that day. I can go way deeper into this topic if anyone is interested. I am likely to run out of internet if I keep going, though.

2) Get used to talking to the camera: I think that this is one of the hardest parts for most of us. Nobody likes feeling like an idiot and this definitely has that effect. Then again, if you are like me and do about 15 things that prove you are an idiot before you even put pants on in the morning, then this is less of an issue than you might think. Personally, I talk to the camera by imagining that I am talking to you guys. This helps me by playing into my first topic. Let's say I'm doing a video about skipping a jig under docks (which is a real thing; I have a video about that somewhere out there). As I am coming up on the dock, I'll talk to the camera (doesn't matter if it is chest mounted or somewhere else) about potential targets/bass holding areas or maybe the priority I would give to said targets. If I am using a chest mounted camera, I'll use my rod to point out exactly what I am talking about. In videos that are purely just about a day of trying to figure the fish out, I like to stop and do just a quick couple minute breakdown of how the day is going so far. This helps the viewer relate to how much time has passed by and allows them to sort of "get in my head" as far as my thoughts on the day are concerned.

Capt. BassinLou

FD

Great Stuff Steve!  You are right on the money about telling a story and putting in the work on the editing side.

Here as some of the comments from my latest video that absolutely confirms your approach.  I have always tried to teach instead of just posting fish catching videos.

In the video I released yesterday, I asked my viewers to comment on what they liked about my channel and here is what they have said so far.

"I would say it's "real" fishing. Not catching 10lbers every cast and you fish heavily pressured bodies of water which says you ain't afraid of a challenge. Keep it up man tight lines"

"Love the explanations on the techniques and the the different areas you fish , the fact you you don't edit out when you're not catching them. You show it just like it is , keep up the good work."

"I like that fact that you give out free guide trips to veterans it's nice to see people giving back to the people that fought for are country. And I like that you interact with your subscribers it's nice to be noticed and acknowledged. And it's also nice that you give out tips to help us get on a few extra fish. And you also put effort into your videos, your videos are always Quality and I really enjoy them."

"I like how you explain what your doing and why. You fish the same waters I do. Its nice to see someone fishing some of the exact same spots. Makes me fell like I have some idea how to bass fish. You don't come across like your pushing anything."

"Thanks for the video. I have been wanting to fish tenoroc but I want to go in the yak I hope they will put me somewhere good out of the wind. Hope I win the rod!!"

"Came across while on research of my local Lake Toho you explained moving water vs running water and your little battles with Nathan on deck makes the channel entertaining cool style AE best underrated central Florida channel keep it going..."

"Lee, great video again!  I love watching your videos because you are teaching us how to fish - not just showing us you can catch fish - by breaking down a lake and the conditions to explain where and how the fish might be biting."

"Great stuff for those of us that are eager to learn."

"My favorite thing about your channel is that you do not edit your bad days. It makes me feel a lot better when I have bad days and makes me less discouraged. I mostly get my but kicked at Kissimmee but I learn a lot from you. Keep up the good work and I will stick around. 🤣"

As Lou can confirm, when I started this channel I did not care about catching fish on camera.  It's nice but not required to meet my goal.  I believe that I am in the Edu-Tainment category.  Entertain you enough that you don't realize that you are learning something in the process.  One of my favorite comments has been "I was so entertained that I was shocked when the video ended and it was 16 minutes long."

@Steve - Post a link to your channel.  I want to watch your stuff!

FD

Capt. BassinLou

D.W. Verts

I turned on YT last night to watch Lou's video (I didn't realize Lee had a new one also). Watched it, ENJOYED IT (great cover on the big bass mistake!) and then when it was done, there was LEE, all ready to watch also. Better than network TV. Not even close (says a guy who hasn't watched network TV since MASH went off the air).

Someday me and Florida are gonna have a get-together.

And those phosphate pits? I'd feel like I was at home there. Wait a minute- grass and pads and reeds... I'd still feel at home. It's bass fishin'. Peace.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Wrapped up editing my Lake Okeechobee video. I fished Lake O mid week last week, but the fishing was so s,,,l,,,o,,,w that I pushed back editing and moved my latest Marshlands outing to the front of the editing line.  lo lo  I'll drop that video later this week.

FD

Cool!  You are going to love it.

Steve81

Quote from: FD on January 03, 2022, 06:59:57 AM

As Lou can confirm, when I started this channel I did not care about catching fish on camera.  It's nice but not required to meet my goal.  I believe that I am in the Edu-Tainment category.  Entertain you enough that you don't realize that you are learning something in the process.  One of my favorite comments has been "I was so entertained that I was shocked when the video ended and it was 16 minutes long."

@Steve - Post a link to your channel.  I want to watch your stuff!

FD

Edu-tainment! I love it! That's exactly what we should all be shooting for!

Here is my channel. I hope the link works. I am on a gov't computer and YouTube is blocked. However, I had this link in my UB profile.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHq0fhKlYYFn0fBnIJDTUoQ