UB'ers turned YouTuber's Support Thread Chapter 2 (2022)

Started by Capt. BassinLou, December 30, 2021, 03:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FD

My BEST advice for a small YT channel...

Don't be a fishing channel.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FD on August 08, 2022, 05:52:53 AM
My BEST advice for a small YT channel...

Don't be a fishing channel.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

lo

Pferox

Just a heads up guys.
My wife went to windows 11 at work so I'm upgrading our computers here at home.
While playing around, I found a few old raw game videos on my hard drives so I used them to test out my new configurations with Wonder Share and since I got 'em made I decided to upload them.  So if you aren't interested in that just skip them. 
I scheduled them so they will be coming up during the month.
Thanks Everybody.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Capt. BassinLou

I have been experimenting with shorts last couple of weeks. If you want "jump start" your channels, look into these. It's definitely helped rev the needle a little on my channel. Long form videos are the way to go in the long run, but introducing shorts to the mix helps.  Just wanted to pass my findings along to you guys.  ~beer~

Pferox

Quote from: D.W. Verts on April 23, 2022, 10:20:21 PM
I know I'm an idiot. I get it. At least where technology is involved, and there I struggle. Wait, that means that I struggle with lots of stuff. Point is, I'm back to having problems with uploading- the video software won't let me "sign in" to Google/YouTube even though I already am. Signed in I mean. This last few days has been trying. I don't think or see how it's ME (famous last words).

Just ranting. Peace.

Dale

Sorry I'm late to this, You Tube keeps changing the layout for uploading videos.  This makes uploading via the software kind of inconsistent through Wonder Share.
I strongly suggest you upload through You Tube's upload tool on the site.  Couple of facts:
You can set your upload to private, and then schedule it to when you want to make it public.  This enables you to post your video on the same day and time consistently which is one of those things the tube says is a good thing to do.
You can upload up to 15 videos at a time, just drag and drop them in a group at one time on the upload tool and let it rip.  I used to start it in the evening and let it run all night long, while I was sleeping.  This is where having more than one computer kind of pays off.
This actually lets you get ahead of the game and takes the pressure off making any quotas.  When I was doing the game thing, I would play and capture a few games, then process them, after I had collected a few I uploaded them and posted them, spread out.  At one point I was a year ahead.  Any time sensitive videos I uploaded and set them live right away, giving bonus videos to subscribers.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Pferox

Here is the reason why I don't go lap tops or Apple.
Micro Center had an AMD 12 core 24 thread processor, a 3900X for half price, at less than $300, add a mother board and you save another $20. I have all the memory and other parts in the original computer, so I upgraded to a hot little number for less than $500.  The chip is last generation, and they are clearing it out, but hey it is a big upgrade for me and I'm going to be set for another 5 or 6 years.
I moved the MOBO and CPU to my rendering computer, and that was an upgrade. For free.  The 6 core Ryzen and little stripped down board will become our entertainment (TV) computer.  I had already upgraded the two newer computers to 32 gig ram and so I have 16 gig ram sticks for the "new" computer in the front room.
Thing is the next set of chips that will be introduced will use a new socket, new memory sticks, and will need a higher demand on the power supplies which will be an expensive upgrade, so I will do it now on the cheap and maybe skip a generation or two before I have to do a full rebuild again.
Oh and I forgot to mention, the rendering on BOTH computers is fast, the 12 core is insanely fast.

Pferox

Dang sorry about this.
Nvidia video cards have a driver that is oriented towards work and not gaming, you have to choose it when doing a driver update. I have an older video card on my rendering machine, and it uses this driver.  It is almost as fast as my 12 core, slower by a few seconds. 
Prices are going down on video cards so I might just update them too in the near future.

Capt. BassinLou

Had to blow the dust off this thread.  lo lo

As I continue to grow and learn about this YouTube stuff, from a creators perspective. I've had to do a deep dive evaluating my work over this past year.
I know I have to continue improving in several areas, but one area I have been really focused on has been studying and researching the importance of good thumbnails and titles. I know that sounds obvious, but missing the mark on both thumbnails and titles, have effected my channel.

I made a few small changes here and there on some older thumbnails and video titles to test some "things" out and it seems to be helping. So if you find your videos are not being viewed, test it out with different thumbnail or change the video's title. Like I said, what I just shared may seem obvious, but sometimes we miss the obvious stuff.  ~b~  lo

D.W. Verts

Unfortunately for me, I get bored. I mean, they're PAYING me for my junk, but it's a little boring. Of course, my fishin' stuff mostly sucks and the competition is, well, the competition. And this is a busy time of year for me, so the video work has to take it's turn.

I have a ton of folks who are very cool to me. And then there's the very few OTHER kind. I've even had folks show up at my restaurant because of my videos, just to visit (I tell them that they're STALKERS).

Mostly it's fun, but it's hard to do NEW stuff consistently. I said I was done with "teaching" fishin' videos, then went and did a frog video anyway. Like there's not enough FRAWG videos. Oh my.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 22, 2022, 04:21:44 PM
Unfortunately for me, I get bored. I mean, they're PAYING me for my junk, but it's a little boring. Of course, my fishin' stuff mostly sucks and the competition is, well, the competition. And this is a busy time of year for me, so the video work has to take it's turn.

I have a ton of folks who are very cool to me. And then there's the very few OTHER kind. I've even had folks show up at my restaurant because of my videos, just to visit (I tell them that they're STALKERS).

Mostly it's fun, but it's hard to do NEW stuff consistently. I said I was done with "teaching" fishin' videos, then went and did a frog video anyway. Like there's not enough FRAWG videos. Oh my.

Dale

Dale you hit the criteria for your channel to be monetized?

D.W. Verts

Oh yeah. I hit the 1000 subs mark in late June, and at that time I already had 5000+ viewing hours. I said I would do it in a years' time- that was my goal. It'll never be enough to really count for much, but I attacked it like any job I ever had, and it worked. Kind of. Like I said, my fishin' stuff sucks but I continue to do the videos. Because I'm a bass fisherman first.  If you view my videos now you do have to suffer through all the commercials...

The boat is hooked up, tackle loaded, and the GoPros and batteries (and accessories) are ready to do it again tomorrow. I am a sad individual.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

D.W. Verts

Thanks Lou.

You made me go look. I know I drive folks crazy, but all this analytics and algorithm crap just doesn't interest me. Making videos that folks like and maybe get something out of is where its at. So I just went and LOOKED, for the first time since I got monetized-

To date-

Total views- 170,663
Watch time- 14,534.4 hours
Subscribers- 1635
Impressions- 1,993,085
Click-thru rate- 6.2%

What this means is I have a ton of views, not very many subs comparatively, and I don't hold their attention long enough. Pretty typical from what I understand.

About your "Shorts"- YT is fixing to make this a bigger deal- I get some early news from time to time and next year they're really going to push this because today's viewers apparently get bored real quick. So you're gonna dig that. Money to be made 'cuz advertisers like it too I guess.

I've done some "shorts", but not like you do. I don't own a cell phone for one thing, and I ain't never gonna either. Oh well.

Dale

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 22, 2022, 08:53:04 PM
Thanks Lou.

You made me go look. I know I drive folks crazy, but all this analytics and algorithm crap just doesn't interest me. Making videos that folks like and maybe get something out of is where its at. So I just went and LOOKED, for the first time since I got monetized-

To date-

Total views- 170,663
Watch time- 14,534.4 hours
Subscribers- 1635
Impressions- 1,993,085
Click-thru rate- 6.2%

What this means is I have a ton of views, not very many subs comparatively, and I don't hold their attention long enough. Pretty typical from what I understand.

About your "Shorts"- YT is fixing to make this a bigger deal- I get some early news from time to time and next year they're really going to push this because today's viewers apparently get bored real quick. So you're gonna dig that. Money to be made 'cuz advertisers like it too I guess.

I've done some "shorts", but not like you do. I don't own a cell phone for one thing, and I ain't never gonna either. Oh well.

Dale
I don't shoot my Shorts with my phone. My shorts are clips from my video footage.

D.W. Verts

The way I understand it, YouTube wanted them done that way. Anyway, shorts are the NEW way to go. I have too much wind in me for that... Sigh.

Dale

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 23, 2022, 08:21:23 PM
The way I understand it, YouTube wanted them done that way. Anyway, shorts are the NEW way to go. I have too much wind in me for that... Sigh.

Dale

Regardless of which viewing platform Shorts are viewed on. What I'm trying to say is I create my Shorts from my existing video footage. I believe I posted about this before a few months back.

Take a clip of stock footage, go to the video editor, change the frame size to 1080 and the horizontal setting to 1920. Edit the clip so that the images fit inside the vertical box and that's basically it. Keep in mind the clip has to be under 1 minute.

The challenge with creating a Short this way, is that takes a little bit of time to edit due to fitting the video images inside the dimensions of the vertical viewing box. Versus shooting a video with the intent of it of being a Short. That's were shooting the video from the phone has its advantages.

D.W. Verts

Yeah, it's just not for me. I even have a "Shorts" playlist that I've done from the start. "Short" meaning under five minutes...

Dale

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 24, 2022, 07:22:53 AM
Yeah, it's just not for me. I even have a "Shorts" playlist that I've done from the start. "Short" meaning under five minutes...

Dale
I understand. I experimented with them for a bit, and had favorable results. If I capture a good shots, I will continue making Shorts. They don't take that long to make.

Pferox

Hey guys, I caught this today and have ran into this with a couple of people at my wife's job that are falling into problems because of lack of memory. 4 gig and 8 gig have been a norm for a long time, and 16 gig was starting to be the new big target, but with windows 11, and all the high resolution stuff becoming easier to produce,  32 gig and above is more the norm now a days. This is just a keep in mind kind of thing in case you should run into problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWcRqDfaF2Q

D.W. Verts

My first Mac's hard drive name was "1 Gig". That was in 1998...

Dale

Bud Kennedy

Just upgraded my Mac to Ventura OS.  I currently have 16GB of memory.  Performance is ok but could be better.  Looks like I will have to upgrade the Mac to 32GB in the very near future. 

Capt. BassinLou

Lights! Camera! Action!!

Fingers crossed this video comes out the way its playing in my head. Lol!!

Capt. BassinLou

Last time I saw FD, we were discussing ways I could maintain long term quality audio. I attempted this before utilizing my yolo stick, but unfortunately it created artifact, thus effecting my audio. So FD suggested utilizing battery packs. So I went ahead a picked up a couple of battery packs, along with a pack of 12" USB cords, and what do you know!! It works awesome. I have clear quality audio for my entire long outing. You guys should check it out.

D.W. Verts

Cool. I love spending $ on technology... But I probably will, 'cuz every time I shoot video the wind blows and blows. And that blows.

Dale

Capt. BassinLou

That Santa, I tell you. The good news in regards to this media mod model is its compatibility with the 3 latest GoPro's. Compared to my previous Media Mod, which was only compatible with one GoPro model. Smh.