Vacation ideas drivable from Nashville, TN

Started by TNDiver, January 30, 2022, 09:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

Hey guys,

My son gets two weeks off for high school football so looking for some ideas to take the family that is ~8 hours or so from Nashville, TN. Kids are in high school.  We have been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area a few times, been to Destin area a few times.  But looking for other ideas if anyone has any experiences.  Thinking either more east or west.  See that the Ozarks are ~ 7 hours away, but have never been.  Never been to Charlotte, etc. We've been to Center Hill Lake nearby, and could do that again. I just don't want to rent a cabin and then sit in the cabin the whole time either.  Was thinking Grand Canyon or DC but would have to fly and that would greatly increase costs.  Thinking someplace we could see the sights, but also maybe hike and if possible near a lake and rent a boat.  None of those are a requirement, but just some thoughts I had.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Bud Kennedy

If you really want to see some sights then I would suggest Washington, DC.  There are more things to see there then you can see probably in a lifetime.  The good part is almost everything is free.  Hotels can be pricey like all things in a metro area but the history you can view will create a lifetime of memories. the list of things to see is unending.

The DC Metro is an excellent way to get around the area and would also allow you to stay in the suburbs and just travel into to DC via the subway.  Your congressional representative can also arrange for a White House tour that is well worth the time. A lot depends upon what time of year you plan to take your getaway trip.

D.W. Verts

Come knock back some 'shine in the MO/AR Ozarks!

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

TNDiver

Bud, I love DC and have been a couple times.  I think the kids would love it too, but we would probably have to fly.  There are also a couple things in play that may prevent a DC trip, but I certainly want to take them.  I also think my son will kill me with all the walking around, since he is probably looking to relax after a couple months of football.  Their coach is an ex-NFL player and they have some D1 level coaches with some D1 prospects on the team, so they are pushed and having been a college athlete, I understand wanting down time.  Maybe a spring break or Fall break trip.

DW, I would love to, but I don't think the kids are ready for some 'shine yet  ~roflmao.  If you know of some good areas to stay, I would be all ears.  May be anywhere from 5-8 people in a cabin either on the lake or near one with some hiking.

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

D.W. Verts

Man, brother, anywhere in the Ozark Scenic Riverways would be my choice. Yes, there will be tourists but the beauty of those rivers is outstanding. Same when you get into Arkansas with the Buffalo River. Some of these rivers run thru the Mark Twain National Forest. There's floating, hiking, equestrian stuff and a good dose of "ozarkeze" in most of these locations. I love these rivers. Look it up- you might check with the MO Department of Tourism.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

loomisguy

Depending on your budget Bass Pro Shops Big Cedar lodge is a beautiful place. You can stay in a lodge or cabin great dining and scenery. They have a lot of activities. 
Since you'd be right on Table Rock you should hire a guide for a half day anyway. Beautiful place.  I can get you some guides to call if your interested.

Princeton_Man

Come to West Virginia, ride the Hatfield McCoy trails, plenty of hiking, camping, fishing, backpacking etc. There are several old steam railroads (longest trip is about 4 hours) is anyone is into trains. I'll try to take a day off and take you fishin'.

Tour the once top secret bunker, 700' under the Greenbriar Resort. Take a day trip on the New River. Hike the New River Gorge or White Water Rafting on the Gauley!

Just a few things I can think of.  ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

zippyduck

Williamstown, Kentucky.  Noah's Ark is there, along with Williamstown lake. Boats for rent at the marina. Small town feel in the whole area.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Wizard

It's hard to beat any Ozark float stream. My wife and I like to travel the Natchez Trace. We stay at B&B while visiting the historic mansions and Plantation homes. I hope to take my wife again this Spring.

Wizard

coldfront

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 30, 2022, 10:54:38 AM
Come knock back some 'shine in the MO/AR Ozarks!

Dale

put a few days at REELFOOT lake in the hopper for consideration.  it's on my bucket list.  huge stumpy lake with lots of cypress.  looks just amazing, beautiful.  I plan on spending a couple days there (it's a bucket list destination for me) just easing around.  enjoying sunrise, sunsets.  taking photos.  from the photos, i think the place just has an AMAZING feel.

tried to get there a bit back (before covid) but work just didn't allow.  was looking at Bluebank Resort.  Frankly, wanted to meet Billy.
never mind the fishing.

https://www.tnvacation.com/experiences

https://www.tnvacation.com/local/tiptonville-reelfoot-lake

not too far from there is memphis.  beal street (only about a block long so it's a bit more underwhelming than the myth).  graceland.  could always tour the Gibson factory.  that's right there within a block or two of Beal Street.  maybe combine with a trip to reelfoot?
plus, it puts you reasonably close to Dale and his 'shine invitation?   :-*

I know it's family time... but a bit north is Louisville.  Makers Mark distilleries.  spring time is an absolutely beautiful time to take the distillery tour.  very interesting.  very well done.  I'd suggest them over the Jack Daniels distillery tour.

I don't drink (much) so the distillery tours are still interesting to me... just to walk the grounds, see the equipment, process.  a lot like taking a 'wine tour' in NAPA... the distilleries/vineyards are all diverse in architecture, landscaping... just visually pleasing.  and add in just a little walking/easy activity.

coldfront

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 30, 2022, 02:32:48 PM
Man, brother, anywhere in the Ozark Scenic Riverways would be my choice. Yes, there will be tourists but the beauty of those rivers is outstanding. Same when you get into Arkansas with the Buffalo River. Some of these rivers run thru the Mark Twain National Forest. There's floating, hiking, equestrian stuff and a good dose of "ozarkeze" in most of these locations. I love these rivers. Look it up- you might check with the MO Department of Tourism.

Dale

can confirm.  driven through Van Buren, MO (Current river) on way to/from seeing folks.  THAT is a river that just begs to be floated.  but I think I'd do that in September, AFTER school gets back in session.  fall colors.  lower traffic flow...  Dale, that surely looks like a slice of heaven.

check out the landing:  https://thelandingcurrentriver.com/

TN:  know you said two weeks off.  But WHEN?  looks like we're going to hold on to some cold/cool weather in TN for a while...yet.

Captsteve

Go see the Ark in Kentucky

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

Wizard

If you go see Dale, stop at my place for a chat.

Wizard

TNDiver

Man you guys could be travel agents!   Lots to consider.  A trip north in July might be smarter to get away from the heat and humidity, but the Ozarks is really sounding good.  Also considering Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley, Land between the Lakes area.  Thanks for the input!