Micropterus salmoides

Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: Forum updated, problems HERE if you see any!

January 2022 Home Front Activities and Carryings On's

(Read 4143 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Princeton_Man

• My Mission is goin' fishin'
Good morning all! Guy, your Best Buy sounds like our Lowe's. I believe the biggest problem with all of those businesses is the lack of managers who have true management skills. Most of them couldn't manage a hot dog stand.

We're preparing for another friggin Winter storm. I hope the forecasts are wrong, they're calling for up to 15" of the white stuff and saying that areas that get less snow will get more freezing rain.  :'(

I'm going to try to wash the vehicles, take the dog for a walk, then sort and organize some baits and tackle. Hope everyone has a great day.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Jim, no snow or freezing stuff expected for Myrtle Beach.  The frozen stuff appears to be west of I-95.  We are expecting a lot of rain and some high winds throughout Sunday.

Princeton_Man

Jim, no snow or freezing stuff expected for Myrtle Beach.  The frozen stuff appears to be west of I-95.  We are expecting a lot of rain and some high winds throughout Sunday.

I tried to tell Linda that we should hitch up the boat, load up Lucy and heading south for a few days. I was suggesting Georgia thinking we could find some slightly higher temps, but she wants to stay home with her cats.  ~b~

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

topdsm0138

• Staff
Didn't get to fish any today, or work on my Jeep. Washing machine belt broke so "Honey Do List" came up. Grrr....

Probably a good thing, my chest surgery locations started hurting.eh, maybe tomorrow at the lake I went to last week.
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Simon Belmont

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Look at this chunk

Just look at him. I bet my oldest boy’s Honda Civic has more ground clearance, and it’s got flat tires! I think I’ll call him Ford, cause you know damn well he can’t make it through a mud hole.

This was taken about a mile from the house.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
Last couple of days have been windy and cold.  The kind of cold that just goes deep into the bones.  At least today was sunny but those 30 mph wind gusts sure made it feel awful even though the temp did make it to 50.  Tonight is back into the middle 30s and by tomorrow the winds will have calmed down a bit.

I feel like my lungs are gonna explode with this chest cold or what ever it is.  I feel ok and not running a temperature or anything like that but I clearly have some sore lungs.

Donald I hope your trip to  Floriday was good and you and the Mrs. had a nice drive back to texas.

I have a heavy coat that I bought while living near Chicago about 35 years ago.  This coat is super good and it keeps out the wind and keeps the body nice and warm.  Probably the best coat I have ever owned.  Sure glad I still have after the past couple of days.  As I have aged my internal thermostat isn't real good.  Cant stand the cold and cat stand the heat. 

topdsm0138

• Staff
Has not been a good afternoon. My blood pressure is really high right now. My kid turns 17 in April. He decided he was going to drop out of high school and has the gall to say "I'm not going back and I'm not getting a GED either. I'm not 18 so there's nothing you can do about it either." Ok...let's pla kiddo. Went in his room, took the wall unit A/C out, boarded the hole up, then bolted every window in his room shut. I even disconnected the ceiling fan. This is South Florida let me remind yall. Now he's been crying and complaining that "You can't do this! Do you know how hot it is in here now?! I can't even watch tv in here it's soo uncomfortable." Well now..show me WHERE it says I have to make you comfortable? Where do I have to just let you be a peace and watch tv all day? You want A/C? 100 bucks a month for electricity then. "I don't want to get a job..." Ok, then the next 14 months until you turn 18 are going to be REAL uncomfortable then. You will get treated like we did in boot camp. You will onl have water, electricity and basic food. NO amenities at all. Wecome to the real world!

Capt. BassinLou

• Admin
Sorry to hear you're going through that ordeal with your son Top.

Apologies for not checking in with you guys, staying busy in the back room of the site, and I pop in here and there on the main site.

We have had multiple cold fronts blow through every few days. Makes for interesting fishing that's for sure. But this pattern is typical for this time of year. Definitely won't trade the weather we've been having compared to other parts of the country.  ;)

Be well, have a good evening. 

topdsm0138

• Staff
Well...now that I vented, I hope all are well. And for our Ft Meyers guys, hope y'all are safe from those tornadoes yesterday.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • UB Life Member & LSCR Club Member
Good evening to everyone from Belton, TX 8)

Forecasted temps today across Central Texas were 40-66dgrs with 35% humidity with the wind out of the SE @ 5mphs.  We're still chilly in the mornings by afternoon we're back up into 50 - 70's range.  We have another Cold Front moving into our area Wednesday night.  Lows are going to be in the Mid 20's with Highs being in the 40's.

The trip to Tampa Bay was good.  I don't remember anything about the flight down there at all.  I fell asleep after the safety briefing and woke up as we were preparing to land.  Friday we got all the paper work transferred over for the Dodge truck.  We spent the rest of the day site seeing etc.  She took me over to McDill AFB and showed me where she works.  We had a relaxing afternoon and a nice lunch. 

Saturday morning the wife and I loaded up the Trail Blazer and started the trip back to Texas.  Weather was great till be hit Mobile, AL.  It rained pretty hard for a short period of time ~rain  We stop and had supper at one of the many truck stops located along Inter-State 10.  We ran into some more nasty weather in Baton Rouge, LA  ~shade  It was raining so hard I couldn't even see the car in front of me.  Driving across the Mississippi River Bridge in Baton Rouge was exciting in that rain storm. :shocking:

I was getting tired from driving and having to fight the weather we stopped and spent the night in Lafayette, LA.  Sunday morning after having a good breakfast at the hotel we got back on the road heading West to the Great State of Texas  :)  We left at 7:15 and pulled into the driveway around 2pm.  We had bright sunny skies to travel in after we crossed the Texas State Line  ;) 

I really enjoyed driving that Trail Blazer it was comfortable and there were a lot of new bells and whistles to to figure out on it while traveling.  I'm seriously thinking of buying this vehicle from my daughter prior to her heading back to Germany  :-\ 

Top; Sorry to hear about the son decisions etc.  I think at one time or another we've all gone through that.  I had a double whammy with my daughter and son.  They always wanted to act up while I was deployed.  We always had a tough talk once I got back home etc.  Things always worked out in the end. 

Bud; I have some of my Cold Weather Gear with me here.  I'm glad I saved it while we moved from Alaska to Texas.  Dwayne busts me out when I tell him it cold outside > 20 - 30 dgrs.  Ah dad that's T-Shirt weather in Alaska.  I tell yep your right when you young and full of it.  You'll see what's it like after living down here for a while.  He just laughs at me. You order that new steering cable yet?  Hope you get to feeling better soon also.

Rodney; SHC; Stratos Buddy;  Hope you guys are doing well.  I see ya'll been getting some nasty weather also.  Say is that a Black Bear in your yard there SHC?  IF so that's a real a good size one.

To everyone I hope tomorrow is a better day for ya'll.  Be safe in your travels if you're out and about.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat  Yamaha 25hp outboard
Personal Best 8.33lbs

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Good morning!!! 25 headed to 20, cloudy, breezy. Yep, we have about 12 inches of white stuff on the ground. I had to break out the snow blower, not fun, I'm still sore. Tomorrow I start PT, supposed to be yesterday but the guy who was supposed to plow the driveway didn't make it in time.
Top, sorry to hear about the boy, hopefully he'll wake and turn the ship around. I have a son like that, when I die I'm sure he'll piss on my grave but he turned in to a pretty good young man. Worth the effort. 
Dog, I got that nonsense from BB to, told them I wanted a full refund or get the damn thing delivered in the morning, We were their first delivery. Unfortunately it's becoming all to common everywhere, guys just out of college getting jobs that you used to need years of experience for, no idea what to do except lose business.
SHC, nice looking new pet you have, how's the grocery bill for him/her, is he/she house broken? lo Maybe you could cut off the water to that best buy, tell them they're on the schedule, they'll get their water on the 6th Thursday of February if you have it in stock.
Jim, can the cats make a nice warm jacket?
Bud, Those old clothes can't be beat, I have several pullovers from the 70s or 80s that when they wear out I'm going to cry. With this weather a tee shirt is all I need under them, very comfortable. Hope your honeydos are short and quick.
Donald, good that you had a nice trip back from Florida. Unfortunately it means back to the salt mines. Hope your weather gets to the point soon so you can get out with Dwayne.
Have a great day, be well!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

topdsm0138

• Staff
Good morning guys. Been busy with work, bu thinking if this cool weather stays through the weekend, might be a great time to load the boat up, get a bucket of minnows and do som crappie fishing for once. I know, it's not a bass but it's better to eat. Besides nothing more relaxing than sitting on the lake, doing nothing but fishing.

Princeton_Man

Good morning all, it finally quit snowing around 0300 this morning! No clue what our total came to. The high and shifting winds made for some big drifts, I'm guessing we got about 10", but there's more due tomorrow night.

Rodney, I like the jacket idea! Not sure Linda will go for it.  lo

Josh, I wish I had some words of wisdom, I don't think I do, but you have my sympathy. Neither of my boys ever had a desire to quit school. Having to pay their way (or help to) was the best stimulus to further their education. My oldest son started working at 14, my youngest at 15, after school and on weekends. Both paid for their own cars, dirt bikes, Gary Fisher mountain bikes and other expensive toys. I took them to submit applications, go in for interviews, and their mother and I made sure they got to and from work until they had their own transportation. Working in retail and a power equipment dealer's garage taught them both that they wanted something better.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Good evening from Central Texas  ~shade
Forecasted temps were 56-73dgrs with 50% humidity and a SE wind @ 11mphs.  We're forecasted for another cold front to move through tonight.  Low temps > Low 20's with High temps > Mid 70's for the next couple three days.

It was back to the Fun Farm today.  Covid has arrived at our school.  We got several teachers and a bunch of students out now.  Lots of teachers are teaching multiple classes etc. there are a few subs but not many.  I got one team member down and I don't have a clue when she's returning.

Jim; Hope all's well sure sorry to hear about all that darn White Stuff ya'll got.  I don't miss that stuff at all.  We have some teachers wishing out loud wanting that White Stuff to show up here.  The principal made an announcement that if we have snow days the school year will be extended.  It got real quiet after that announcement was made.

Rodney; Glad you are able to get out and about.  Too bad you had to get out and man handle that snow removal beast.  Good luck with your PT.  With this weather being what it is trying to put together a fishing trip is pretty hard. 

Top; Nothing wrong with drowning some minnows.  Just getting out and being on the water is a good way to clear your mind.  I wish ya the best in dealing with you son.  Hopefully he'll realize how great he has it at home.

Bud; That cold South Carolina weather hasn't got you locked indoors does it?  Hope the warm weather returns soon to your area.

Guys you all have a really pleasant day tomorrow.  Be safe if you have to get out and travel in this Wintery Weather.  Tks for stopping by and sharing the day with us.

Personal Best 8.33lbs

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
Frozen precipitation in our forecast for Friday and Saturday.  Been a few years since we had anything like this here on the coast.  Usually things like this are well inland out around the I-95 corridor.  Today was a nice day in the mid 50s and a blue bird sky with calm winds.  Not bad as long as you are in the sun.  Once that sun goes down then the temps are diving to down around 32 by morning but a high of 65+ is expected for tomorrow.  Certainly screwed up weather.

Still feeling a bit under the weather with either some back pain or maybe even a lung infection.  Kinda hard to tell but other than the pain I feel ok with no sickness or temperature.  Just feeling a bit sore.  Can't think of anything I was doing lately that hurt my back, all I know is it started to get a bit touchy last Sunday.

topdsm0138

• Staff
Day 2 of "The Silent War"....kid must have been real bored with no TV or internet (I took his cable box and changed the WiFi password). He decided to clean his room and take out the trash. (Laughs to myself....excelllent.........). Going to let him stew a few days more.

Anyways, got bored and decided to organize the big tackle bag. Damng, the stuff I find floating around in there. A hollow body Live Target commotion shad. Hmm....qeird looking but might try it out.

Found a 1/2 spool of Stren Clear/Blue 10lb test, so off came that Berkley Trilene XT from the new Dobyns combo.

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Top, don’t they have compulsory attendance in Florida? Round here, your kids can’t quit until they turn 18 or you go through the whole emancipating a minor process. Parents can get fined, kid can become a ward of the state, all sorts of repercussions. I can’t imagine what’s going through his mind. When I was a teenager I was working just to buy beer, truck parts, and ganja. That’s all I needed for a fun weekend, I wasn’t even worried about chasing girls. They wanted to drink all my drink and smoke all my smoke and not pay for anything. Pfft, weren’t none of ‘em THAT purdy.

Y’all that is a black bear. Not quite in my yard but pretty dang close! No clue what the grocery bill is, I think it’s the same one I saw raiding deer feeders a couple years ago, that would explain its belly almost dragging the ground. Or a pregnant female.
Oh a couple little cubs running around would be so cute!

I’ll tell y’all right now, if y’all ever hear I’ve been mauled death by a bear, I 100% promise you it’s because I was trying to hug it!

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Howdy from Central Texas > Belton <
The day started off with the weather people getting it all wrong.  They forecasted temps to be in the low 20's.  It was 58dgrs with fog in the low lying areas  ~shade  The forecast temps we had was 58 / 78dgrs with 54% humidity and a N wind gusting @ 19mph.  The wind is still howling out side.

I got (2) Team Members down with Covid symptoms now pending the results return.  Other than those two personnel being out it was Ground Hog day for me at the Fun Farm.

SHC; That picture of the bear is the fattest one I've seen.  I have seen a few Black Bears in the 9 yrs I lived in Alaska.  None of them looked anything like that one.  Some were big, stout and strong.  None of them had any issues with running or climbing trees.  That one there looks like it would have some serious issues trying to climb a tree.  Tks again for sharing that picture with us.

Top; That is an interesting looking bait there.  I have numerous baits in that same color scheme (Sexy Shad).  It has become one of my 'Go To Colors' on crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Rodney; Hope your still breathing there buddy.  I bet you're in that horizonal position resting in your recliner  ;)  I have you in my daily prayers my good man  ;)

Bud; Hope your starting to feel better.   I have you in my daily prayers also buddy  ;)

Guys ya'll have a pleasant day tomorrow.  Hopefully the aches and pains will ease up ya'll.  Be safe if you're out driving in this Wintery Weather.
Personal Best 8.33lbs

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
Another nice warm day today with temps into the mid 60s but that all changes tomorrow about mid morning when the temps will head down to the freezing area with rain.  Gonna be kits if icing here on the coast beginning Friday afternoon and most of the day Saturday.  Gonna be ugly.  Folks around here don't understand driving in anything frozen and as many of us know when it is a glaze of ice no one can do anything and one should just stay home until it is gone.

Donald it would take a lot to get us to move back to the lake.  The big thing is our ongoing health needs that really aren't that available in the rural areas at the lake.  The cost to buy another place would be around $150K  and we could not justify that at this time.  Our cheap little home here at the beach suits us well it just does not provide adequate space for the boat. 

Still a bit under the weather health wise.  Still have some very sore lungs from all the coughing this cold or what ever it is has brought to me.  I am not sick or running a temperature just this dang chest cold that seems to be letting up just a little bit.  I am just going to keep resting and taking it easy for a while longer and hope this does not get worse.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
the news around here is about the ice storm that will begin to hit tomorrow and through Saturday.  Looks like a couple of days just staying home and staying safe.  Our area does not have much practice with slick road conditions and really don't have much equipment to treat the roads.   We get ice storms every few years or so but they are super rare right here on the coast.

Today was a nice day with temps reaching 70 for a little bit  Just now starting to rain but it is still in the middle 50s and will drop through the night and get into the 30s by day break.  Then by 2pm it will all be ice.

My cold or what ever it is is starting to ease off a bit.  Coughing is less and the sore muscles caused by the coughing are also not as painful but I know they are there.  Lungs also appear to be clearing and I might be able to sleep in the bed tonight instead of the recliner.  I have been using the recliner for a couple of nights just to keep me in one position through the night and not have to deal with the sore back muscles. 

OK Guys stay warm and be safe.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
Good evening to all,

It's been cold here across Central Texas today.  Our forecasted temps were 23-33dgrs with 33% humidity and a N wind @ 16mphs.  Tomorrow forecast is 22 - 49dgrs with lots of sun.  We had some snow flurries late this afternoon.

It was ground hog day for me at the Fun Farm.

Bud; Sure hope you get to feeling better soon.  Its a shame that Health Care isn't available down there at your former place.

Alrighty guys you all have a relaxing and pleasant evening.  Be safe out traveling in this weather.
Personal Best 8.33lbs

topdsm0138

• Staff
Long day and I start this VA Online Video Group for PTSD & Anger Management at 8:30. Ugh.... VA wants me to do atleast 4 sessions and just "feel them out" to see if "I think I fit in enough to talk to people about what I saw and what I did over there." "Doc" said "You can't just avoid talking about all the terrible things that happened and go fishing all the time or work on your cars, that's not good for you." That's where you're wrong doc, fishing is fun, having fun means being happy, being happy means I'm happy and in a good mood. Your move.

SHC286

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
The brisket is in the marinade.
I’m calling Saturday “brrr, booze, and brisket day” It’s gonna be cold as hell Saturday morning, I’m gonna drink with the intention of getting drunk, and smoke a brisket. I’ve invited a few folks, not sure if anyone’s coming. Two have already declined, they were exposed to Covid and so they’re quarantining. More for me! Meat is diabetic friendly.

topdsm0138

• Staff
The brisket is in the marinade.
I’m calling Saturday “brrr, booze, and brisket day” It’s gonna be cold as hell Saturday morning, I’m gonna drink with the intention of getting drunk, and smoke a brisket. I’ve invited a few folks, not sure if anyone’s coming. Two have already declined, they were exposed to Covid and so they’re quarantining. More for me! Meat is diabetic friendly.
That sounds soo good, a lot better than the health food my wife has been feeding me lately.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Good morning!!! 5 headed to 11, partly cloudy, possible flurries, clearing later, temp headed to -2 with clearing. Had my first PT appointment Wednesday, this is going to be a long process, I'll be calling the Pain Management Doc today to see how the appeal for the next procedure is going.
Bud, hope it's not covid. Any idea when you're going to finish the steering?
SHC, if I were you I think I would stick to hugging Connie and letting the pet bear fend for itself. By the By, is it a male or female? Sounds like  a good meal Saturday, enjoy. Oh yea, if you train the bear there won't be no  revenoor anywhere that'll disturb you. lo
Top, you'll win the war with the kid, just be patient, my MIL settled the issues my oldest son had with me and got him to finish school, a year later that he should have but he finished, turned into a pretty good adult, self sufficient, and worked hard. Only trouble for him was Compensation screwed him over and he is now permanently disabled. He slipped on some black ice and the place he was working told him to go with Comp, downhill from there.
Jim, how's the winter wonderland. I will say, if you look out the window it's like Norman Rockwell blew through with his painting kit, it is pretty out there.
Donald, sorry to hear you're down 2 workers, do they get sick pay? You're right, I spend most of my time kin the recliner, nice recliner but I'm sick of it, tv holds no interest but with the drugs I'm on I don't even care what's on. I'm so disinterested in what's going on I don't even fire up the puter, just sit here in a fog, I don't get how folks think that popping pills for this they'll break the bank to get it. I do some reading but that puts me to sleep also. lo lo I love my wife dearly, I enjoy being with her but she starts hovering looking for something to help me with, it can become annoying. As I was typing this out I got a phone call, pain Doc's office, the procedure was approved, Jan. 31st is the date, HALLEALUA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ~flag ~flag ~flag :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Have a great day, be well!!!
Rodney 

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.