BPS Spinning combo recommendations

Started by TNDiver, January 12, 2022, 01:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

Looking to get an 8 year old set up for fishing and was thinking about starting him off with a spinning combo.  Anyone have any suggestions for the BPS brand?  I was thinking the Qualifier.   Are there other combos I should consider? 

I am not looking to break the bank as he is 8, but also want something that might last him a few years if he doesn't use the rod for sword fighting or take practice swings like it is a bat  ~roflmao
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Bud Kennedy

For an 8 year old you would be better served with a spincast reel.  Easy to use and uncomplicated.  These are inexpensive and can easily be replaced in a couple of years if the youngster is ready to move up a bit to a normal spinning reel or perhaps even an entry level casting reel depending upon how he is doing a couple of years from now. 

Smallie_Stalker

The Pflueger combos are solid and reasonably priced. You can usually get the Trion combo for well under $100 and that reel will last a lifetime.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro  using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BassmanRudy

I second the Pflueger Trion combos!! Usually $60-70 and comes in several sizes- 6, 6'6", 7'. I've had some now for over 15 years and they've held up well!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

coldfront

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 12, 2022, 02:13:32 PM
For an 8 year old you would be better served with a spincast reel.  Easy to use and uncomplicated.  These are inexpensive and can easily be replaced in a couple of years if the youngster is ready to move up a bit to a normal spinning reel or perhaps even an entry level casting reel depending upon how he is doing a couple of years from now.
hear what you're saying Bud.  I had my son using a baitcaster as an 8 year old.  didn't take a lot of teaching/instruction...  don't see a spinning rod as as large of a challenge.figure when a 4 year old can program my VCR, they're smart enough to figure out fishing reels...
lo

FishaHallic

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 12, 2022, 02:13:32 PM

I remember when I went from the Zebco 202 to the Zebco 33, man what a great upgrade.  8)
17' Grizzly w/40hp etec, micro powerpole,  Lowrance Elite 9 TI 2  9lbs 15oz PB     2021 winner of Ted and Dave's spring classic
                            TRUTH MATTERS

Oldfart9999

If you're close to one take the kid to BPS and let him try out any of the combos they have will work for him.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

TNDiver

Thanks for the info.  Yeah the problem is the closest is 3 hours away. They have a Dick's but I won't shop there due to their ridiculous decisions.

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

1ReelFanatik

There weren't any VCRs around when I was 6, but I had no problem learning to use a spinning reel.   lo

Don't know about BPS products, but I still have and use a Berkley Lightning rod that is over 45 years old.

The Trion gets good reviews.  You might look into one of the Daiwas in (or close to) the price of the Trion.  Bought a Revros as a birthday gift for a B-I-L a few years ago.  Haven't heard any complaints from him about the reel.  He lives in Florida and fishes a lot.

TNDiver

Thanks everyone.  Ended up purchasing a Lews Mach Smash Spinning Combo.  Set it up for him in braid and taught him to cast with it.  It took about 30 casts before he figured it out.  What I didn't realize or I guess forgot was that it is the dry season in AZ so there was no fishing to be done  ~b~

He still had fun learning to cast and then trying to aim for certain spots.  Oh well, maybe the next trip we will go fishing.