Favorite Lew's Bait Cast Reel Under $150 ?

Started by chrisD46, August 10, 2021, 06:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

What is your favorite Lew's bait cast reel under $150 ? The MP , BB-1 , LFS , etc. are all in that $99 to $149 range ... Your experiences ?

BassmanRudy

I like the BB-1s personally. The LFS is a really nice reel too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Deadeye

I have several of the Speed Spools that are over 10 years old and still work like new. I did retire one this year.

Also have three of the Super Duty that I use for Flipping/Punching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geneinnc

I own zero lews but after checking out the new KVD reel there is a good chance I will own one with the next large Academy coupon. It fits the budget you set.

apenland01

Most of my reels are Lews and I love them.  You can find the Tournament Pro for less than $150 in most cases, which is a great reel for the money...

Capt. BassinLou

I never had a Lew's I didn't like. 2 of mine are over 10 yrs old as well. Good reels.

chrisD46

D.W. Verts

Since I started using some of the newer style reels, I've bought three Garcias (the two Silver Max's were pretty much junk) and the Black Max has been fine.

I own five Kastkings and I can't hurt them. Don't judge me.

But I now own six newer Lews reels, and still have one in the box. Every one has been exceptional- I really can't tell much of a difference between the $77 Wal Mart reels (I don't remember the model?) and the BB-1's. They even have the large-knob high-dollar power handles.

Yep. I'm diggin' the Lews.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Eric-Maine

Quote from: chrisD46 on August 10, 2021, 06:49:12 AM
What is your favorite Lew's bait cast reel under $150 ? The MP , BB-1 , LFS , etc. are all in that $99 to $149 range ... Your experiences ?
I have 4 Flippin Rods all rigged with the $60 American Hero Lews.  I think 4 years, anyway, no complaints pitching 65lb braid. Several giants so far. The quality of the low end has coverted me away from Shimano Curado. I haven't used these yet for winding  applications.
Have several Lew's in the $200 range very impressed so far. Team Lew's lite speed spool and the team Lews skipping and pitching. Both excellent imo and already favorites of mine. I have a KVD spinning reel. Not disappointed at all. Caught some big smallies and huge Drum, drag was smooth. Still prefer shimano but at a third the cost it is 90% there just 3 months in though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BassmanRudy

Eric- is the skipping reel you mentioned the new one that they had at the Classic?! The Andy Montgomery one?

If so does it do that 1 job really well? Not much line to back lash.

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Eric-Maine

Quote from: BassmanRudy on August 11, 2021, 06:43:37 PM
Eric- is the skipping reel you mentioned the new one that they had at the Classic?! The Andy Montgomery one?

If so does it do that 1 job really well? Not much line to back lash.

Yes.

I skip docks and pontoons a lot. Considered myself above average. Improved 30% at least, in distance, more in fewer back lashes. I have always used a e7 curado, biggest complaint was deep backlashes (terminal) and a spike on the thumb bar that tended to catch a loop should you need to fish thru a minor backlash doing a maintenance cast after. Lost a lot of fish over the years in this jam. I will have more of this one. Curados will all transition to winding baits.

The lite speed spool is probably more versatile and has more of a quality feel. Haven't used it to skip but it is probably the least prone to backlash that I have ever used. My educated thumb is going to get lazy. Won it in a raffle......will definitely have another of these too.

Andy Montgomery's reel works as advertised IMO. Well thought out. If I have a complaint, it doesn't have the solid quality feel of the lite. If they combine the 2 and I expect they will it will be totally awesome.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BassmanRudy

I appreciate the reply! I've been eyeballing them and got to see it in person at the Classic. I too have used old green Curado E7s for a long time and just accepted that my thumb wouldn't always "win" the battle lol!!

I'm going to find and order one! I love love love to skip! Chatterbaits and swim jigs mostly. Never learned to skip a buzzbait.

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

SteveTX

At one point I was fishing Lews brand almost exclusively. I have 10 that still get used when I fish see below a list. Some are rarely used any more but its not because they aren't good reels.
One reel that is just been crazy good for the was the cheap $59 Lews MR1SH Mark Rose Signature Series. Mine is the Black version with blue anodized jewelry and its not a aluminum frame or anything but this reel has been great for a really cheap reel. Its caught plenty of 5lb and up bass and just keeps going. But of all the Lews reels I have I would say the Tournament Pro TPG1XH is probably my favorite generally speaking. I have come to like the centrifugal brake systems, the hidden hook keeper, and the over all weight under 7oz..
One other thing that really made me like Lews was their impeccable customer service. A couple of my reels were purchased used and needed a part or service. Lews was beyond great. They sent me free parts for one and had one reel sent in for repair. This reel was way past any warranty it was easily 5+ years old. It was returned in less than 2 weeks with a completely new side plate, a complete cleaning, and at no charge at all. If I need another reel they will definitely get a shot to sell me one.

• 5.6:1 Lews SSG1S
  • 6.4:1 Lews BB2HZ 
  • 6.4:1 Lews SS1H 
  • 6.4:1 Lews TS1H 
  • 7.1:1 Lews BB1SHZ
  • 7.1:1 Lews MR1SH
  • 7.1:1 Lews TS1SH
  • 7.5:1 Lews SSG1SH 
  • 8.3:1 Lews SDG1XHF+
  • 8.3:1 Lews TPG1XH

chrisD46

For Mike Cork : How is the availability and supply or parts to service Lew's reels ? ... I now think before I buy a reel I plan on keeping how the pipe line and quality of repair parts are for a particular reel manufacturer ?  If Mike were to say : "Abu Garcia , Daiwa , Lew's and Shimano have the best availability of repair parts" - then those would be the only reels I would look to buy !

apenland01

I've also had the same fantastic customer service from Lews.  I had a couple of reels that needed service, so I sent them in and they replaced some bearings and serviced the reel at no cost to me.  The reels were out of warranty and they still did the repairs for free, including shipping it back to me.  I can't say enough good things about Lews because of the excellent customer service.....

ʇuǝɹq™

Quote from: chrisD46 on August 13, 2021, 06:19:04 AM
For Mike Cork : How is the availability and supply or parts to service Lew's reels ? ... I now think before I buy a reel I plan on keeping how the pipe line and quality of repair parts are for a particular reel manufacturer ?  If Mike were to say : "Abu Garcia , Daiwa , Lew's and Shimano have the best availability of repair parts" - then those would be the only reels I would look to buy !

I'm not Mike, but I deal a lot with Lew's. Their customer service is awesome, and they do a great job getting parts to you. With that said, the last several weeks they have been moving from St Louis to Lexington, South Carolina, and at this moment you can't get any part through them. That will change quickly though once they are settled in.

chrisD46

I always heard good things about the Lew's Tournament Pro but I believe it is discontinued ? If so , what is the closest reel in the current  Lew's line up to the Tournament Pro ?

FishinBuck07

Quote from: chrisD46 on August 17, 2021, 07:00:18 AM
I always heard good things about the Lew's Tournament Pro but I believe it is discontinued ? If so , what is the closest reel in the current  Lew's line up to the Tournament Pro ?
I believe the Tournament Pro is still being made, the Tournament MB is one they discontinued in the last couple years but they replaced it with the Tournament MP. 

jwkelley51

The LFS has good reviews on tacklewarehouse, so I bought one for black friday sales. I haven't used it yet but it looks pretty good. It seems to have a composite outer and the Lew's I have already are metal but they've been good reels. Size is similar to the SLX.

fish_taco

I have a BB-1 inshore and a Tournament MB, but I find myself using the Tournament MB way more often. I upgraded the handle to the longer 95mm carbon fiber one with EVA/cork handles (all lews stuff) and I can never put it down.

Dink Dawg

I have 2 BB1's for cranking and 3 BB1 Pros for moving baits. I picked up the SP last year for skipping and it is very effective.