Micropterus salmoides

Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: Forum updated, problems HERE if you see any!

Jerk Jerk Ouch!

(Read 803 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

FlatsNBay

• Staff
  • Go Noles!
Over the last few years, whenever I fish a jerkbait on a baitcaster, my left wrist of my hand holding my rod really starts hurting. It doesn't happen with any other type of bait. Top water, flukes, frog fishing, pitching,deep cranking is all fine. It only happens when fishing a jerkbait with a jerk pause variation of a retrieve on a baitcaster. Anybody else have issues? I may have to switch over to a spinning rod as I have no issue with it causing pain.

I guess I'm getting old!!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Yep. Old is the answer. Mostly. I had carpal tunnel surgery a million years ago and it didn't help much.

Dale
Hickbilly Bass Fishin' and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

Capt. BassinLou

• Admin
Over the last few years, whenever I fish a jerkbait on a baitcaster, my left wrist of my hand holding my rod really starts hurting. It doesn't happen with any other type of bait. Top water, flukes, frog fishing, pitching,deep cranking is all fine. It only happens when fishing a jerkbait with a jerk pause variation of a retrieve on a baitcaster. Anybody else have issues? I may have to switch over to a spinning rod as I have no issue with it causing pain.

lo by the end of a long outing, my elbow hurts, and my hands and fingers are cramping around the reel and knobs. I'm a wreck.  lo lo

Princeton_Man

• My Mission is goin' fishin'
Is your jerkbait rig light, well balanced and appropriate action? While it might not fix getting old, changing up your rig for a better balanced softer tip rod might help.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass

lo by the end of a long outing, my elbow hurts, and my hands and fingers are cramping around the reel and knobs. I'm a wreck.  lo lo

Your still young Lou, wait until you hit the golden years, it gets worse!   lo  Lol lo   Eliminate what makes you hurt, and do what doesn't!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

• Admin

Your still young Lou, wait until you hit the golden years, it gets worse!   lo  Lol lo   Eliminate what makes you hurt, and do what doesn't!
I can't wait,,,, NOT!! Lol!!

FlatsNBay

• Staff
  • Go Noles!
Yes Princeton. It's a well balanced sweet set up perfect for jerkbaits.

It looks like ailments are pretty common with y'all too. If only I was 23 again!

RangerAndBass

• Staff
  • Baby Bass
Personally jerkbait is a small mouth bait and I have to get in shape for smallmouth season.
To me the reason this is different from other baits is the resistance the water applies to the bait and the repetitive action you do. Early on I can only do it for short periods, but it is a bait I will throw regularly all season once it opens.
Plus I will jerk it fast and severely

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

zippyduck

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Jerkbaits are a bait that takes a different muscle than most others. Most of the action comes from your wrist until you realize it is going to hurt.  I use my whole forearm now and have reduced that soreness in the wrist.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Nothing wrong with using spinning gear to fish a jerkbait.

Wizard

RangerAndBass

• Staff
  • Baby Bass
Nothing wrong with using spinning gear to fish a jerkbait.

Wizard
There isn't at all. But unless you are just doing slow gentle pulls, you're going to get muscle/tendon sore the QST times you do it

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

rb-nc

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
I will get roasted by this, but it WORKS.. Had the same issues, and my son did too and he fishes a jerkbait all day with no breaks. We switched to braid with a leader. Now instead of a jerk it's a twitch. He's at Dale Hollow throwing it right now. Just back off the drag for the small hooks

Fun4me

• Smallmouth
  • Fishoholic
I will get roasted by this, but it WORKS.. Had the same issues, and my son did too and he fishes a jerkbait all day with no breaks. We switched to braid with a leader. Now instead of a jerk it's a twitch. He's at Dale Hollow throwing it right now. Just back off the drag for the small hooks
You won't  get roasted from me, I've  been throwing jerkbiats on braid to leader for over a year, and it absolotely works. 

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Sometimes the mechanics you use can be the problem. If you're using a side pull try jerking the bait down, the rod straight out in front and pulling the tip of the rod down not sideways. Braid will help also.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishballer06

• Staff
  • Baby Bass
My forearm is what hurts after a long day of throwing jerkbaits, more so than my wrist. But yes, they're a very fatiguing bait to throw. I feel bad for the pro's whenever they get into these 4 day tournaments where they're throwing a jerkbait the whole time.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Fish_in_1

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Been their with the casting and found years ago that a longer rod butt helped as the shock was absorbed by my whole arm instead of just my wrist.
How ever years ago i also learned a new way of fishing a jerk bait that i learned while fishing a gotch (lead head jerk bait) on a ocean pier.
I strictly for the past 20 years have been using a spinning rod but the way i hold it is not of the norm.
Take your 4 fingers place them on top of the rod and your thumb under the rod just behind the reel seat. Then take the 2 closest fingers on top closest to the rod tip and place them under the rod in front of the reel seat. Your hand will mainly be under the rod.
This will 1 keep the rod tip down to get the bait down deeper but also be more natural as the bottom of your hand will be up then when jerking down your hand ends up as if you made a fist and placed it on a table. Hard to explain but if you get the hang of it youll NEVER go back.
When you hook a fish you either raise your whole arm above your head or you will then have to move your hand back to a normal fish fighting/casting position.
Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 02:31:56 PM by Fish_in_1

Pat Dilling

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
I found a brace/band that wraps around your forearm helps.  A lot of tennis players use one.  Also get a rubber ball and squeeze it while watching TV or other resting activities.  Strengthening your muscles will take some of the load of your tendons and joints.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB