hydraulic jack plate: new to this

Started by coldfront, March 02, 2022, 10:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

never had a jackplate.  now I have a hydraulic jackplate.
question is:  general height/setting (where to start).
assuming that in general I'll want my outboard cavitation plate even with bottom of the transom (not the pad)? 

Mike Cork

Most people find that even with a hydraulic, once they find the sweet spot they don't move it unless they get into a situation that needs something special.

That said, it's best to set it low and start playing. Just like with props, every boat is different. Part of the fun is playing.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BassmanRudy

Most of them have a visible (from the front) ruler and I'd start at what looks "normal before" and make a note/take a pic of the setting. Then go up and down an inch until you get the perfect hole shot. Then make a mental note/take a pic/sharpie a line on the ruler so you know what's the new "normal". When in extreme backwaters and you lift it way up you'll know where to drop it back down too.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

coldfront

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 02, 2022, 11:57:28 AM
Most of them have a visible (from the front) ruler and I'd start at what looks "normal before" and make a note/take a pic of the setting. Then go up and down an inch until you get the perfect hole shot. Then make a mental note/take a pic/sharpie a line on the ruler so you know what's the new "normal". When in extreme backwaters and you lift it way up you'll know where to drop it back down too.
thanks mike, rudy.  yep.  it's new so the rule is clear/visible.  played with it a bit while in the first two hours of break in... out this weekend trying to dial in and get more of the break in done... as well as possible chase a few fish around a bit.

got 49 gps a few times.  had a lot of porposing going on,but didn't have any kind of load that wasn't 'my butt' and aft... so adding rest of the typical fishing load for'd with gear and will see how we do in a few days.

FD

Porpoising usually means you are too low.

Low water pressure means you are too high.

Mine is max high for the hole shot and I'm trimming up and jacking down as the nose falls.  When you have the ride trimmed like you want it, play with the jack.  You will feel the prop bite when you it the sweet spot.
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

coldfront

Quote from: FD on March 02, 2022, 05:12:21 PM
Porpoising usually means you are too low.

Low water pressure means you are too high.

Mine is max high for the hole shot and I'm trimming up and jacking down as the nose falls.  When you have the ride trimmed like you want it, play with the jack.  You will feel the prop bite when you it the sweet spot.
yessir.  it bites; the boat jumps.  and I know I'm not going 'fast'... but I am running about 20mph faster than usual...  so settling in.

Capt. BassinLou

That's upgrade I would like to do my Vexus too. I know a j/p would benefit me since I fish shallow water a lot.

coldfront

I'll keep you updated Lou.  am on a bit of a learning curve at moment.  and haven't even touched the new Humminbird electronics.
moving from a lifetime of lowrance, this will be a bit of a paradigm shift...

but that's what Saturday and Sunday this week are all about.  low 70 degrees for highs both days.  gonna go burn some gas.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: coldfront on March 02, 2022, 05:45:22 PM
I'll keep you updated Lou.  am on a bit of a learning curve at moment.  and haven't even touched the new Humminbird electronics.

but that's what Saturday and Sunday this week are all about.  low 70 degrees for highs both days.  gonna go burn some gas.

Take your time. I'm excited for you. You're going to enjoy that boat. I'm enjoying the hell out of mine. Can't believe I have had it for over 2 years already.  :shocking: :shocking:

coldfront

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on March 02, 2022, 05:49:07 PM
Quote from: coldfront on March 02, 2022, 05:45:22 PM

Take your time. I'm excited for you. You're going to enjoy that boat. I'm enjoying the hell out of mine. Can't believe I have had it for over 2 years already.  :shocking: :shocking:
every day better than the last.  puttin' the lie to those folks who talk about 'the best two days of a boat owners life...'

lo

caddyjoe77

best way is what FD said:  start higher, trim up and lower jackplate -- youll know where the right spot is.  One thing to add though, "right" isnt always always right depending on water.  dont forget you can use it to your advantage when the river gets nasty.  It can be used as a way to help you control the nose of your boat too.   I have used mine several times a little higher or lower when i get into some really bad wave action.
BeerMe

Eric-Maine

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on March 02, 2022, 05:25:04 PM
That's upgrade I would like to do my Vexus too. I know a j/p would benefit me since I fish shallow water a lot.

On my Ranger it is at the max height all winter except when trailering. Hasn't been as shallow in South Bay last few years but is still habit. Jumps out of the hole.  On the Headwaters if you can get on plane before encountering hydrilla you are good to go. In the stumps on Ouachita fully Jack plated up and at full trim was the way to travel at headway speed. Motor never touched.....boat deflected off pretty good. Better than on the TM.

Up north on Erie, Champlain and Winni the Jack serves as 4 wheel drive to keep the boat in the water in the down or nearly down position keeping you in control and in contact with the water. A lot of bad things can happen airborne.

I bought a lead sled so speed hasn't been a focus It does run better lower which was a surprise to me. My Triton preferred 60- 70% up and probably would have taken out a top end at full up for long periods.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Eric-Maine

Quote from: coldfront on March 02, 2022, 10:13:53 AM
assuming that in general I'll want my outboard cavitation plate even with bottom of the transom (not the pad)?
Do you have a gage on the dash? The best height will vary depending on water conditions. I had boats without and get much out of it with one.

coldfront

Quote from: Eric-Maine on March 27, 2022, 07:11:00 PM
Quote from: coldfront on March 02, 2022, 10:13:53 AM
Do you have a gage on the dash? The best height will vary depending on water conditions. I had boats without and get much out of it with one.

nope.  no dash guage.  just trim.  and that's not quite calibrated correctly yet...
boat tends to run 'best' with 1.5 on the 'jackplate ruler'  which is almost all the way down.  it's been pretty windy here (so atypically rough water) combined with TVA keeping lakes at winter pool (means they're pulling quite a bit of current)... so in a few weeks will get much cleaner water and get a much better feel for where I want to run...

plus, I'll have made it through break in by then and can see what works best at RPMs over 4500...  still a ways to go.

that being said, when motoring back into all these shallow backwaters, being able to put JP at highest levels really helps move in/out under control... 

lots to like here.

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

coldfront

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

coldfront

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on March 31, 2022, 09:24:19 PM
had any more time to run it?
yes.  still in break in period where I'm not to run over 4500 rpms... somewhere over 10 hours on the motor now, heading to 20...  then the dealer check...  plans are to hit '20' this weekend and next... then drop it off week of april 11 for the check/maintenance (punch list)...  with intent to pick it back up that Thursday, Friday... or Saturday worst case scenario...  the next two weeks are vacation time and focus on chasing down big girls...

two areas where I'm really enjoying the jackplate: 

1.  motoring in/out of these backwater sloughs/oxbows on river systems.  not on plane... but at fast idle.  I always figured those shallow areas didn't need me 'blowing in' and pushing a pressure wave all around to alert those already skittish big fish...
2.  pulling in/out of the garage.  it's a process.  made more intricate as the motor height doesn't want to clear the top of the door opening, so I have to trim all the way down and JP all the way down...  then, with the steepness of the driveway (this FIRST causes the back end of the boat to lever up/elevate), when I get to bottom, the angle changes and I need to have the motor trimmed up and JP up at least halfway to avoid dragging the skeg...

most folks would say:  why in the world would you ever buy such a home...  and the answer is:  cause other than the driveway, it's a great house and due to the driveway AND the condition of the landscaping when I bought it, I was able to get it way under 'ask'...  and in 8 years it's now more than doubled in value...

sometimes it's being lucky enough to execute on the 'when' of the purchase. 

don't forget, I chose this boat because it needed to FIT inside...