Will You Try Something New This Year?

Started by Smallie_Stalker, April 23, 2022, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

I was thinking recently about some things I've always said I wanted to try but for some reason I have never gotten around to giving them some time.

I think for the most part many of us here have this same situation.

For me, if I get to actually spend any time on the water this year it will be hard body swimbaits.

Technically I have tried them I think twice in the mid to late 90's for about 10 minutes each time. I didn't have the right rod at that time which made it incredibly difficult to cast them with. They quickly got relegated to the "maybe I'll try 'em again someday" bin and that is where they have stayed until my son gave me a Dobyns Fury 795SB rod and a bunch of baits to go with it for Christmas.

(I think he secretly wants to get into this style of fishing himself and bought "me" a present that was really for him )

I have a couple others like scrounger heads and underpins on my list but it is hard to find affordable non-lead versions. Still I want to them a shot.

Is there a presentation, technique or lure you will be trying for the first time this year?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

topdsm0138

Me, since installing the Hummingbird Piranha Max on the vhull, I've been trying to find the drop offs and ledges of deeper water (my 2 local lakes are deeper then Lake Okeechobee) and then trying different baits and retrieves for deeper water. No luck yet, but still learning it.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

rb-nc

Quick story about this. I have a good relationship with David Nichols who founded Nichols Lures. It started at the 1992 Bassmaster Classic. I saw his display and they were the most gorgeous things I had ever seen. We talked for a while and I told him I didn't do well on a spinnerbait. He told me to buy a couple and if they didn't work he would buy them back. I got a painted white blade one, color 40, and a blue metal flake one, color 47. I finally tied the number 40 on. David never had to buy those baits back. He put me in touch with his number one angler at the time and we talked colors and sizes and all the mechanics. Information that helped me more than any I have ever had. Fast forward several years. David came out with a flutter spoon. I told him that thing was bigger than anything that swims in our lake. After months of talking I bought one, Shattered Glass. Yep I now own a box full and it is my number one late summer,fall bait. So yes I am all to eager to try new things now.
Man you need to be on the scrounger head and underspin they catch numbers. Also try blade baits

Capt. BassinLou

Good topic, I have found myself going the opposite direction. Meaning instead of trying something "new" I have been refining my skillsets with "old school" techniques.

FD

My "New to Me" technique for the summer is fishing deep, specifically cranking over 10 ft.

I know most of y'all got a chuckle out of "10ft and deep" in the same sentence, but I live in the land of shallow bowls so finding water deeper than 10 can be a challenge.

I've already gotten started "deep" with a painfully slow presentation and it's paying off in better numbers and some bigger fish.  Next is the cranking part.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

topdsm0138

Quote from: FD on April 24, 2022, 07:38:25 AM
My "New to Me" technique for the summer is fishing deep, specifically cranking over 10 ft.

I know most of y'all got a chuckle out of "10ft and deep" in the same sentence, but I live in the land of shallow bowls so finding water deeper than 10 can be a challenge.

I've already gotten started "deep" with a painfully slow presentation and it's paying off in better numbers and some bigger fish.  Next is the cranking part.

I can relate to this as Floridas biggest lake, Lake Okeechobee, deepest point is only 12-16' (varies with water level) and thats only because that was a shell rock mining pit, blasted out.

Now take my 2 local lakes, Ida & Osbourne. Osbourne has two spots that are 24 & 26 foot deep, while Ida has a 18 foot deep hole. (Both from mining the shellrock to build I-95).

So take note people, not all of FL is shallow swamp because there was a lot of rock & shell mining all over down here. IE: The quarry lakes near all the big concrete plants around Hialeah & Miami, well some of those are 70+ deep. (FL mining permits will not allow deeper then 90' ao we don't disturb the lower aquifers).

Fishing deep for us S FL guys can be a challenge as a majority of the deep areas are only accessible by boat. So if you have spent your entire life bank hopping or building patterns and skills in the shallows, once you come across these deep areas, it becomes a whole new world of challenges.

Just like divers, boat fishermen do it deeper..

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: topdsm0138 on April 24, 2022, 09:28:41 AM

So take note people, not all of FL is shallow swamp because there was a lot of rock & shell mining all over down here. IE: The quarry lakes near all the big concrete plants around Hialeah & Miami, well some of those are 70+ deep. (FL mining permits will not allow deeper then 90' ao we don't disturb the lower aquifers).

These deep quarry lakes are all over my neck of the woods.  However accessibility to these quarry lakes are closed to the public and are on private lands.

There are also very deep pockets scattered around various stretches of Alligator Alley. I haven't gotten around fishing really deep water yet. But I'm sure I will. ;)

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: rb-nc on April 24, 2022, 05:02:02 AM
Quick story about this. I have a good relationship with David Nichols who founded Nichols Lures. It started at the 1992 Bassmaster Classic. I saw his display and they were the most gorgeous things I had ever seen. We talked for a while and I told him I didn't do well on a spinnerbait. He told me to buy a couple and if they didn't work he would buy them back. I got a painted white blade one, color 40, and a blue metal flake one, color 47. I finally tied the number 40 on. David never had to buy those baits back. He put me in touch with his number one angler at the time and we talked colors and sizes and all the mechanics. Information that helped me more than any I have ever had. Fast forward several years. David came out with a flutter spoon. I told him that thing was bigger than anything that swims in our lake. After months of talking I bought one, Shattered Glass. Yep I now own a box full and it is my number one late summer,fall bait. So yes I am all to eager to try new things now.
Man you need to be on the scrounger head and underspin they catch numbers. Also try blade baits
Great story rb. You are for sure right that I need to get those two and learn how to put them to work.

I use and am comfortable with blade baits. But I'm sure there is still a lot I could learn about them too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

jwkelley51

I'm trying ned rigs for the first time? I'm throwing 1/8 oz. Owner offset block heads and different trds. I've caught a surprising number of fish in areas where I didn't catch much before...like dozens more on 3 trips. I'm using 1/8 owner offset block heads and different trds. They seldom get hung up and hook setting has been very good. If you're just looking to try something new I'd recommend the ned rig. The fish run small so it's probably not a tournament thing....but I see the weights they're posting and I'm not too far off if I just counted the top 3/5. I don't know why it took me so long. They've been in the boat a couple of years.

Dink Dawg

I've had some Tokyo rigs for over a year but just haven't got around to using them.

Larry Francis

Maybe I am different than most but I am always trying new things. I love learning new things and  doing the outside the box thinking.

I always get excited when a new thing works and I learn from it.

Example: FD took me fishing on one of his Veterans trips and we were around some heavy Hydrilla. I only had my pitchin rod with a 1/2 weight Texas rig on it and it would not punch through the Hydrilla. Lee told me to flip it into the air and stop it which would build up speed on the way down and punch through the Hydrilla. It worked and I later coined it Power Punching on this very Forum which seems to have stuck. This was recorded and on one of his Videos on You Tube for all to see. I still have not figured out how to post pictures or share Videos on here yet so you will have to find it on your own. 

We should all embrace learning new technics as it is fun but it simply makes us all better Fishermen.
Molon Labe

Frnknsteen

Same for me! Bought a couple new Dobyns rods for deeper cranks and plan to tey that out this year. Bought. 735cb glass to throw DT14 - Dt-16s and 5Xd - 6XD. Also bought a discounted Roumbanis 803sb that is supposed to be same shaft as the 806CB. Plan to throw bigger 8XD and 10XD along with other deep cranks with it around deeper structure.

Wizard

You bet! I'll put down the Jack Daniel's and try Devil's Cut. Biggest change to my fishing in 50 years.

Wizard

big g

Yes, hair jigs for peacocks and bass.  I got a few great lookin ones!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on May 07, 2022, 11:31:24 AM

~c~ I'm curious what your thoughts on hair jigs is going to be. Good luck! I have found they definitely have their place in the lure box.  :-*

Smallie_Stalker

I've used hair jigs for both smallies and largemouth for about as long as I've been fishing. I don't see why the peas wouldn't show 'em some love too. 

big g

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 07, 2022, 12:36:19 PM

~c~ I'm curious what your thoughts on hair jigs is going to be. Good luck! I have found they definitely have their place in the lure box.  :-*

Your the reason I bought them.  They do look good with a small swimbait added for a little more attraction. 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.