Punching

Started by J.W., May 10, 2022, 09:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.

Thick heavy mats. What setup are you throwing? T-rigs with punching weights? Jigs? 

FlatsNBay

I love to punch. I let the cover dictate which size weight to use. I start as t 3/4 and go up to 1 1/2 for the thick stuff. I don't go any bigger because you sacrifice hook up ratio with bigger weights. I snell knot a straight shank flipping hook. I don't think that the bait matters much because punching is such a reaction bite, just drop it in on them and they will bite it. My favorite soft plastic right now is the Bass Pro Swimmin Elite Chunk because I buy them in bulk and they are cheap. It has a small profile but with a thick body that will hold a hook well. I use a 3/0 with it.  Really any bait will work. It's just a matter of personal preference.

On jigs, I've tested a bunch for punching grass. My favorite is a Strike King Hack Attack because it will go through anything and the hook up ratio is excellent. Many other jigs will hang up in reeds. My go to size is 3/4. I was told by one of the MLF guys who is known for punching grass that unofficially his favorite is an Oldham Jig. It has a screw lock for a keeper and goes through grass well. He said his second favorite is a Hack Attack.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Flats nailed this for me on the Texas rig side. I don't use jigs because of the weed guard. I feel like it hangs too much grass. So when I feel like I need a jig profile I use a punch skirt.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FD

Trash Master Jig....

Just sayin.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Larry Francis

Quote from: FD on May 10, 2022, 03:45:38 PM
Trash Master Jig....

Just sayin.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

I second this. I found this jig last year and it is a great product.   I think we probably should keep this one quiet but since it is out there.
Molon Labe

Larry Francis

This is my new favorite thing to do since moving to Florida. Still working on my skills with it but I love doing this. Your Focus level is intense.

Mostly I Texas Rig with 1 1/2 oz Tung weight and a creature bait. Sometimes a Senco and on occasion if the water is deep enough I like using a Manns 12 inch Jelly Worm. (this has produced some of my biggest fish since moving down here. but 3 ft or less it does not seem to work for some odd reason.
Molon Labe

Wizard

I agree with Cork on the jig and weed guard.  I use cone head weights with my bait tight against the weight. I make my rig as streamlined as possible.

Wizard