4 Power in What Series?

Started by strongx, May 10, 2022, 10:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strongx

Hey guys. Ive bought several (actually a few more than several  ~roflmao) dobyns rods over the last few years. I have some nice champion cb rods, some nice xp and dx spinning rods, and some great bottom contact rods like the dx745, dx784, dx743, and dc744.

Im looking for another 4 power for 3/8-1/2 spinnerbaits, 1/4-3/8 keitechs, and maybe some 1/4 texas rigs. I originally was thinking a 734 in the sierra series, but now I am considering both the champion 734 and the extreme 744. I know the dx744 will be a nicer rod, but will the sierra still be screaming my name if I dont get it this time? Or will the dx744 also shine with the moving baits? How do these 2 compare with the dc734?

Smallie_Stalker

I have both the DX 744 and the Sierra 734. The Sierra is my go to spinnerbait rod (3/8 - 1/2 oz. is right in this rod's wheelhouse) It also handles the Keitechs well.

For spinnerbaits you want a rod with a tip that is just a little softer so you don't pull the bait from the fish but comes into the backbone quick to keep them pinned and under your control. IMO the Sierra fits the bill perfectly. The tip on the 744 is too fast for my taste.

I like the Sierra so much for spinnerbaits that if I can ever save money again I'm thinking of buying a second one to be my dedicated spinnerbait rod.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

The Sierra is a great spinnerbait - Kitech rod, from tip to back bone. I've not used it for feel baits like Texas rigs. If you're a line holder then the rod sensitivity isn't as important and weight and balance come into play. Obviously the further up the line you go the lighter the rods are, they are all balanced.

Way up there is the DRX series and I've got buddies that swear the DRX 724 is the best spinnerbait rod on the market, especially for roll casting to targets... And this rod is so sensitive it will handle the Texas rigs like WOW...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dink Dawg

I'm one who likes the faster actions from any single hook bait. The Kaden series has become a favorite for that reason. Spinnerbait fish pretty much set the hook themselves by the manner they strike. A Kaden 714C or 744C is a better fit for my style of fishing. If you value a slower response in a blank for spinnerbaits, save some money and go Maverick 704C.  You watch, this series is going to take off. They're that good.

strongx

Good info. I should probably go more in the Sierra or Kaden price range. I have a few extremes but not the dx744 so I was curious. I'll admit I'm scared I might like the drx, so I'm avoiding those right now.  How does the champion 734 compare to those two? I've read where the champion 734 is somewhat flimsier. Is that true?

zippyduck

For all of the baits on your list the Kaden 744 or the Dc734 are the best bets.
I have used the Sierra for all of the above but prefer the Dc734 for jigs.
I bought the Kaden 744 as a back up for my sierra 734 and Dc744 and it has worked well.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

chrisD46

Quote from: Dink Dawg on May 14, 2022, 01:30:38 AM
I'm one who likes the faster actions from any single hook bait. The Kaden series has become a favorite for that reason. Spinnerbait fish pretty much set the hook themselves by the manner they strike. A Kaden 714C or 744C is a better fit for my style of fishing. If you value a slower response in a blank for spinnerbaits, save some money and go Maverick 704C.  You watch, this series is going to take off. They're that good.
*Could make for a sleeper chatterbait rod too !

FoolishMoose

I have the DX 744, use it for swim jigs, spinner baits, large PT's and wobble heads. I never take off the swim jig though, I love it so much for those....just can't take the jigs off it.
Until we meet again,
Moose