Bittersweet...

Started by BassmanRudy, June 05, 2022, 04:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassmanRudy

So got to fishing yesterday with a good buddy on Martin Creek. Could be my last fishing trip in Texas for quite a while as I've got orders to California. Def wasn't expecting them but we'll make the best of it.

No stacks generating and water temps even on the cold side were 85°+.

We had some good bites fishing pads(all over the lake but better with some wind on em) with topwaters(frogs/horny toads) and then went punching and John caught 4 good keepers and I kept missing bites. After several bait switches I think it was his fall rate compared to mine that was the key. 3/4oz for him and 1.25oz for me. Once I went to his bait I started getting some bites too. Cranked some bridges and John nailed this awesome 6+lber on a dt8! We think it's one of 3 bass we saw on his side scan and once I get the screenshot from him I'll post it. So easy to SEE stuff on that 12" screen!

He prob had 8 or 9 keepers and I had 2 or 3 and some shorts. Got pretty dang hot out there so we quit at 1530 but had been there since 0600.

Lake looks like full pool or maybe more. Buckbrush in play. Lily pads all over. Really green good looking hydrilla. Why I've only fished there in the winter I'm not sure now, Lol!!

Thanks for letting me share all my Texas fishing adventures with y'all over the years and maybe I'll be back here to post again one day.

"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

apenland01

Thanks for the report, thanks for your service and good luck in the new digs!

Pat Dilling

Glad you got out for one last day of fishing?  Where will you be in California?  I am North of Sacramento about 35 miles near Beale AFB and not far from Travis.  We have some excellent fishing here too, if you are coming to the North end.  That is if you can afford the gas for the boat and truck!

Pat
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

BassmanRudy

Thanks apenland!

Pat- I'm going to Edward's. I've seen a couple small lakes in the mountains near it but otherwise not much. Selling my boat here because of the long drive, lack of water, and mostly the has prices!! I've always heard the delta is a great place to fish so that's awesome you are close too it!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Donald Garner

Rudy, Best wishes on your new assignment.  You and the family have a safe trip traveling out West.

Congrats on the successful outing and tks for sharing the East Texas Trips with us.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

NavyToad

I don't think that even the Navy has a base as remote as Edwards. I almost ended up at China Lake one time, but fortunately I ended up in San Diego.
Fair winds and following seas!
Retired Navy.
Professional muddler.