Time to Plan my next fishing trip

Started by Bud Kennedy, July 07, 2022, 03:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

As many of you know, I like to plan a special fishing outing each year.  In the past these have been bass fishing trips using a guide service.  This year however I am changing the target species.  I love catching bass but this time I am heading to the salt water to have a go at some inshore redfish or maybe even some tarpon.  I have not quite made up my mind but I am leaning strongly towards redfish as this year's target.

Now to decide just when to go.  Research indicates that here in our area just about anytime of the year is good especially for juvenile reds and the fall months can be spectacular for bull reds in addition to the juveniles.  For my first trip I am thinking that juvenile reds on light tackle and artificial baits would be the best way to start.  I have not caught a redfish but have been in the boat when they were caught.  I like to describe the strike and the fight about like hooking into an angry locomotive.  I can only imagine what a bull red would be like but maybe I will find out at another time.

Currently I am thinking that a November trip would be the best time to schedule this trip.  I need to find a guide out of Georgetown, South Carolina and get booked.  The best thing about this is that it is local to me and won't have to spend a lot of time driving.  Just a short jaunt to Georgetown will be all I will have to do.  This is only a 40- minute drive

I still have a lot of research to do before I make the final decision on when and where this will take place.   I have been told that red fishing can really spoil a long- time bass angler.  This will no doubt be quite a learning experience.

Donald Garner

Bud, good luck with the trip planning etc.  I've never been Red Fishing either but I met some guys while living in Louisiana back in the 80's.  They told me that Red Fishing would make you want to quit bass fishing ~shade

Keep us updated on the trip planning.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

This will be interesting, we don't have redfish anywhere here, not down by the ocean or Long Island sound.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.