Battery Help

Started by Green_Monster, July 18, 2022, 08:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green_Monster

I apologize for the long post but want to try to explain it all. I have a 2006 Nitro 482 and I currently have two batteries in parallel in the back of the boat that run the engine, all my electronics and live well. The batteries are only charged from the motor because unlike most bass boats my batteries are separated with the two trolling motor batteries in the front of the boat and on a two bank charger. I am running into issues with those two batteries in the back that are running everything on the boat. I believe it is time to replace them with better ones as they are 3 years old now. My first question is what would you recommend for a cranking battery/deep cycle battery to replace these two? I have wired my electronics directly to the batteries because of an earlier issue I had with them shutting off when engine started. Doing that fixed that issue. Just so it is known I am running a helix 8 mega DI and a helix 10 mega SI as well as a garmin livescope and a 12" garmin unit for that. Any help would be appreciated  :)

Mike Cork

Man that is a lot of electronics on one battery, especially if they are on at the same time. You might consider a lithium to run your electronics. They are light and can be stored in a variety of places without worry of leaking. You already have two batteries wired in series. Separate that and make one for your motor, livewell, bilge etc... and the other for your electronics.

Most cranking batteries are at least a 31 series. CCA is determined by your engine. A 250 Pro XS requires 850 CCA.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

+1 on Mikes input.  Plus I would add another charger for the batteries in the back. If you do ad a charger I would make sure it is lithium compatible also.

Princeton_Man

Lithium would be the ultimate solution,  but if you're running a Mercury, that could be a issue, though I'm not sure.

I run a Duracell group 31 and I'm completely happy with it. Duracell is made by Deka and has a solid reputation. Available from Sam's club. I've fished 8+ hours straight with livewells and 3 graphs without any issues at all.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Green_Monster

I do have a Mercury Optimax 115 on the boat. Are the Duracell batteries lithium?

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Green_Monster on July 18, 2022, 10:48:26 AM
I do have a Mercury Optimax 115 on the boat. Are the Duracell batteries lithium?

Duracells are AGM.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

apenland01

Mercury recently amended their recommendations about lithium batteries, as the older styles didn't have BMS and it could potentially cause an issue with the alternator/stator.  That is why new boats are sold with lithiums as an option, as the newer generation lithiums have BMS onboard...

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: apenland01 on July 18, 2022, 05:11:39 PM
Mercury recently amended their recommendations about lithium batteries, as the older styles didn't have BMS and it could potentially cause an issue with the alternator/stator.  That is why new boats are sold with lithiums as an option, as the newer generation lithiums have BMS onboard...

What is BMS?

Green_Monster

So are you saying that they amended because they are fine to use with older  ones? I plan to get a good acm battery to run the motor and livewell and bilge. I will get a lithium for running all the electronics that has a high amp hour so to be sure I am good.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 18, 2022, 05:16:11 PM
Quote from: apenland01 on July 18, 2022, 05:11:39 PM

What is BMS?
Battery Management System
https://www.synopsys.com/glossary/what-is-a-battery-management-system.html

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

7TCU

If lithium is in the budget they work great. My 100 amp hour batteries are usually around 80% after 8 to 10hrs fishing and if I make a few longer runs the cranking battery will be 98 to 100 % at the end of the day. They charge much faster last alot longer and weigh less than half the weight of a AGM or wet cell the same size.

Wayne P.

There are several LiFePO4 batteries that a made for dual purpose cranking/deep cycle. IONIC has a 125AH. Dakota has a 60AH and a 135AH. Lithium Pros has a 110AH and 132AH. There may be other brands. Pay attention to the specs.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

apenland01

I have the Ionic 125 isolated for my electronics, love it.  It's usually around 70% after running all day and I never turn my electronics off or put them on standby.  I have Batteries Plus X2 AGM for trolling and cranking, but once they die in 5 years or so, I'll be all LiFePo batteries.  I'm sold and the prices are dropping...