Reel weight

Started by Masterbasser45, July 24, 2022, 04:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterbasser45

What is an acceptable reel weight for everyone ? (Casting and spinning).
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

coldfront

I like stro ng reels that don't flex...  that's most.  prefer aluminum frames vs composite.

that said, weight to me is secondary...  it's about rod balance.  heavier, but balanced will feel lighter, less fatiguing.

how much difference in weight is really there?  1/2 ounce?  1 ounce?

Princeton_Man

Certain reels pair better with certain rods for me and of coarse technique sometime dictates the pairing the pairing as well. Most of my reels probably fall into the 5.9 to 7 oz range, but I couldn't tell you without looking up a particular reel. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Masterbasser45

My reels are 6.5 to 7.6 ounces (Curado 200). I was thinking about adding a Daiwa Fuego; but thought it was kind of heavy. I have some lews baitcasters that weigh 6.5 but I wonder about their durability. 
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

bigjim5589

Don't know, and don't care.  I have no idea what the reels or rods I use actually weigh without checking them. I read a lot of comments for various types of tackle, and I use all types, including fly, trolling & surf gear and a lot of folks seem to be concerned about what the rods & reels weigh.

I grew up using fiberglass rods, some solid & quite heavy, and heavy reels and still have some that I use. It's not important to me what they weigh, and that's the last reason I might consider before buying anything. If it does what I need, that's more important.

I get it that folks are concerned about fatigue, but again, it's not something I think about or even consider when I buy fishing tackle.  8)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Dink Dawg

I want the reel to compliment the rod for a balanced package.  I have 5.9 oz to 8.1 oz but each reel is matched to a rod that emphasizes balance first and then castibility.

big g

The weight doesn't matter as much as long as it fits in my hand correctly and is balanced with the rod I'm using.  I like to palm my reels, and I like the balance point of the combo right at the front of the reel.  My favorite rigs to use are a combination of the two.  A little heavy doesn't matter as long as it's balanced.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

1ReelFanatik

I fish baitcast reels from less than 6 oz. to 9 oz.  I love a very light combo as much as the next person, but if I can't handle a 9 oz. reel all day, then maybe I should consider another hobby.  Currently I have no hand, wrist, elbow, or shoulder problems (other than arthritis setting in).  Should one occur, I may have to change my opinion.  (I don't want to quit fishing until I absolutely have to.)

FlatsNBay

Quote from: coldfront on July 24, 2022, 05:06:15 PM
I like stro ng reels that don't flex...  that's most.  prefer aluminum frames vs composite.

that said, weight to me is secondary...  it's about rod balance.  heavier, but balanced will feel lighter, less fatiguing.

how much difference in weight is really there?  1/2 ounce?  1 ounce?
What Coldfront said. I might sacrifice a little weight for a reel that doesn't flex under pressure and balances well.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

More important than weight is balance of the outfit, balance makes the outfit feel better and more sensitive. The last few outfits have been lighter and longer which means I need a heavier reel so they aren't tip heavy. If I buy any more outfits they'll be shorter easier to handle when fishing close. With the surgeries I've had and I'm looking at the possibility a shoulder replacement, weight means more as I age.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Hobious

i think you have to match the rod.  there is such thing as too light.