Need Advice - Helix 7 MDI G3N + Helix 10 MDI G4N + Built-in MDI + Mega 360

Started by Catahoulalake, September 25, 2022, 12:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catahoulalake

I'm looking at bow mounting a Helix 7 MDI G3N, Helix 10 MDI G4N + Terrova Built-in MDI and Mega 360.  Trying to decide what would be better:

1. Connect Built-in MDI to Helix 7, and Mega 360 to Helix 10 (both units networked), or
2.  Use Y cable to connect both transducers to Helix 10 (networked), and simply network the Helix 7 with Ethernet

Want to use the Helix 10 for the Mega 360, and the Helix 7 for MDI and maybe maps

Advantages/Disadvantages?

(FYI - also networked with a Helix 9 MSI G2N at console, planning to connect the puck GPS/Compass to this unit.)

FD

I would go with option 1.

I don't see any advantage to using the Y cable in your setup.  If you only have one unit on the bow them the Y is necessary.  I have had to  replace mine twice.  I have MDI and M360 on a H12 on the bow.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Catahoulalake

Thanks FD.

I ordered the Y when I was thinking I was going to get rid of the Helix 7.  Guess I'll just put it up or sell it when I get done rigging.

Wayne P.

Option 2 is BEST:
Connect the Minnkota MDI transducer and M360 to the Helix 10 via MEGA 360 Y cable. That way the piezos are pinged in a sequence and cannot cross-talk between DI and M360 (they use the same frequencies).
If you have the transducers on different units and both are operating, both will screw up both units.
You need the 14M 360 2DDI Y cable for the MDI and M360 connection and then have to convert the male 14-pin plug for the unit connection with either the included 10' long 14-pin to 7-pin cable or use the Minnkota MKR-MI-1 that is 3' long to do the conversion for the Helix connection. The Y cables are 10' long so that gives you two choices of managing excess cable length---20' vs 13'.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Wayne P.

One other thing, if you want full function of the MEGA 360, install the AS GPS HS at the bow and connect it to the Helix 10. That way waypoints can be marked and displayed on the 360 view.   
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Wayne P.

Catahoulalake

Thanks Wayne P.  I appreciate the insight.  Makes sense about the interference being avoided if they are run with the same unit.  A follow-up question though - not having really used the Ethernet for much - is there much lag if displaying the MDI on the Helix 7?  Additionally, I'm running a Helix 9 CHIRP Mega SI GPS G2N at the console - how about displaying the 360 there for a co-angler?

One more Q - I have a Helix 10 CHIRP (non mega) DI GPS G2N that i bought by mistake on eBay - have been contemplating whether to install it at console for maps - or for just display - what are the pros and cons?

Wayne P.

No there is no lag sharing sonar data via Ethernet. Turn Sonar OFF on the Helix 7 and choose the Helix 10 as the source for whatever you want in the Network Source menu.
A G2N will not run the MEGA 360 but will display it. Refer to the Features section of the MEGA 360 on the Humminbird website. All units need the software version that gives it MEGA 360 menus and views.
I don't like giving up screen space for any other views when using MEGA 360, I don't even use the full 360 view, I use the Front view so it takes up the whole screen width as evidenced in the two screen shots. I use another unit for other stuff like mapping/2D/DI. Do the same at the console, a co-angler will appreciate a large view of MEGA 360 being that far from the display.
This was a test setup checking Ethernet sharing with 5 displays so I did not change the 360 view on the Helix 15 at the console. I would not be at the console anyway since the lake is electric-only.

Wayne P.

Catahoulalake

Okay - so I got it all wired and tested in the garage.  The M360 isn't recognized using the Y cable, but the trolling motor MDI is.  The M360 works connected directly to the Helix 10. When it didn't work, I had:  MKR-MI-1 - HB HELIX 8-15 -dongle from control head to 14 pin 360 Y Cable, short end to MDI (TM), and long end into a 14 pin extension cable, to M360?  Nothing on in network but H10 & M360, and ETH Hub.  Thoughts?

Catahoulalake

I figured it out.  It didn't like the MK dongle.  Worked with the M360 supplied helix cable connected to the Y cable.

Wayne P.

Quote from: Catahoulalake on October 08, 2022, 03:30:17 PM
I figured it out.  It didn't like the MK dongle.  Worked with the M360 supplied helix cable connected to the Y cable.

Converting the 14 M360 2DDI Y cable to 7-pin to connect to a Helix should  be the same whether you use the included 10' long 14-pin to 7-pin adapter or use the 3' Minnkota MKR-MI-1. The only difference should be the total length of excess cable to manage. Maybe you got a faulty Minnkota cable.

caddyjoe77

BeerMe