I just wrapped up replacing my MinnKota Fortrex Control Board. This thread will go over to what lead me to ultimately replace it.
Rather than showing you guys pics of the steps taken to replace board. If anyone chooses to replace the control board themselves watch this MinnKota Video. This video is what helped me to do the job myself.
---> MinnKota Fortrex/Maxxum Control Board replacement video
Couple of months ago, I was fishing doing my thing and my TM stopped working suddenly. Hmmm... I checked the prop, and removed it, sure enough, I came across a wad of braid.
. Thinking that was culprit, I went to the back of boat and checked the circuit breaker. Nope, it didn't trip it. Called FD to help trouble shoot, nada. Short while later, TM starting working again perfectly. Cool!! Went on fishing, TM died once more.
Packed everything up went home. Got on the computer and started scouring YouTube. Came across videos of anglers with similar MK TM issues. It appeared as my reed switch was the issue. Followed a few pointers from the videos, and viola TM started working again. Fast forward 6 weeks, TM stopped working again. Thinking it was the Reed switch again, I bought a new one and replaced it. Tested the TM and it was still dead. Uh oh,,,,
Scoured YT again, and came to the conclusion that the Control board had to be replaced. :'( Ordered a new control board ($150 shipped, just in case anyone was wondering) and decided to swap out it out myself versus going to a repair shop. Came across the video I posted above, saw it a few times, and went to work.
As soon as I unscrewed the foot pedal from the TM tray, and flipped the foot pedal over I saw the problem. My main red wire had corroded and separated from the control board. I immediately came to the conclusion it was caused by water damage and quickly found out why.
I didn't know this until this project, but there is drainage port, in the middle of my TM tray. Since the TM foot pedal is on top of the drainage port, I had no idea one was there. Sure enough over the years, that drainage port became clogged with debris, water pooled and seeped into the control board, eventually frying it.
The control board replacement project took me while, but I successfully completed the job, and now the TM is working good as new. Whew!!
The job wasn't too difficult. The control board I received had different terminal connections. I cut off the corroded ends of the +/_ wires and replaced them with the terminal ends that were provided. If I could do this project, anyone can. Like I said it took me awhile, but I did it.
Follow the schematics provided and you will be ok. Trust me, follow the schematics closely, or you will come across issues. Ask me how I know.
Hopefully this thread helps some one.