November 2022 Home Front Activities and Carrying On's

Started by Donald Garner, November 01, 2022, 07:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Howdy from Belton, Texas   ;)

:toot: Welcome to November  ~shade  I hope this month brings lots of happiness and good health to our UltimateBass Members and their families.  I still have everyone in my daily prayers.

It was a pretty nice day across Central Texas today.  Our forecasted temps were 56-65dgrs with 79% humidity and a SE wind @ 9mphs.  We got some thunderstorms moving into our area starting Thursday night and into the weekend.  Hopefully there won't be any tornados or damaging hail storms during this round.  Last week there was some major tree damage > None to our property < The only damage I had was my boat covers got trashed  :(

Took the afternoon off to attend my medical appointment.  The doctor is pleased there's no weight gain; the BP is in a safe range also.  There's still some swelling occurring during prolong sitting and standing in the lower legs.  I'm having some side effects with the BP meds.  I'm having blisters form on my lower legs.  This started when he changed my meds.  So hopefully he can figure out how to stop the blisters from forming.

Nothing exciting happening at the Fun Farm and that is ok with me.  After my doctor's appointment I made a trip to Academy and picked up new boat covers for the G3 and Stratos. Debating on whether to get the covers on prior to this storm or wait till afterwards :-\

To everyone I hope your day was a pleasant one and the evening a relaxing one.  Ya'll be safe in your travels and tight lines if you're able to get out on the water.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Princeton_Man

Hi Don, I know I say it every time I post to this thread, but it's crazy how fast the months are passing. It's good to hear you're getting things under control in the health department. Do a little research on celery seed extract. Celery seed has lot's of health benefits including lowering blood pressure. I've been using it for a little over a year, withing weeks my BP improved so much I was able to drop one of my prescription meds. It also eliminated gout issues.

If it's a trailerable cover, I'd be interested in hearing how you like the cover you got for your Stratos. Since my original Stratos cover fell apart and I gave it to Bigwrench, I've bought two replacement trailerable covers and haven't been happy with either of them. They look and fit more like a giant tarp. I expected a lot more for nearly $300. I keep the Stratos in the garage, but I still like having a cover for towing in foul weather.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Had some sun today with temps reaching just shy of 80.  Although cloudy this morning it cleared about 11AM and has been nice the balance of the day.  Thursday promises to be a beautiful day as well.
Wife and I went to the movies today to see Black Adam.  I must say the movie was awful.  I guess young folks might like it but it certainly wasn't for me.  Lots of violence, special effects but overall not much of a story line.  It was just a comic book on film would be the best way to describe it.

Still playing with the new Ventura upgrade on my Mac.  Everything is working but does have a few performance glitches to be expected on newly released product.  The glitches are not major and can all be easily overcome.  I usually don't upgrade to a new platform until it has been out a while but I did this time.  I am still exploring its capability.  I did learn that I can use the I Pad as a second monitor which is kinda cool if you need that sort of thing.  It also enables webcam style operation via the I phone.  Also cool but only if you need it I guess.  Lots of wiz bangs to go along with improved security so I guess it w as worth the effort to upgrade.

Donald Garner

Good evening to everyone,
Forecasted temps across Central Texas today were 66-74dgrs with 66% humidity and a SE wind @ 10mphs.  We still got rain in the forecast for tomorrow and Friday.  The weekend is looking bright and sunny.

Slow day at the Fun Farm which is ok with me.  I got a follow up call from my primary care doctor this morning.  She wants me to come in and let her check out these blisters.  So I'm taking the day off tomorrow and will spent the day attending medical appointments.  I'm sure she's going to send me over to the hospital to one of the clinics there.  It's going to be a long interesting day for sure.

Jim; Glad to see you stopping in, hope the family is doing well.  Yes sir this year is moving right along.  Every month I think the same thing>>Time is flying by.  I'll get on line and do some research on that celery seed.  These darn side affects didn't occur till he added a second BP med to my list. 
These covers I get from Academy are trailable covers and they're not all that durable really for traveling.  I use them to cover the boat while it's parked in the storage area.  Down the road here I'm going to have a double carport cover installed over the boats.  I'll still use the covers to keep the critters and such out.  When I travel I've always took the covers off.  Once I got to where I was going I'd put them back on.   
We have a garage also but you know who's vehicle gets kept in there  ~shade  lo

Bud; Sounds like you had a relaxing day today.  Good for you, glad to hear that.  I saw the previews to that movie and I didn't think much of it either.  We try and go to the movies a couple times a month if we can find something worth watching.  You have fun getting the computer figured out.  I have a laptop hooked up to an external monitor.  I really like having dual screens.  I got hooked on this setup while working in Iraq.  My laptop is an HP 19in screen and the external monitor is a Sanyo 24inch screen.
I have a dual screen set up at work also.  Having dual screens sure helps out a lot especially when making spread sheets or doing a lot of research.

Dwayne told me yesterday there's snow on the ground up in Anchorage and up on the North Slope.  I love these Texas Winters  ~shade

Rodney, Dog, Top, and the rest of the gang hope all's well at the home fronts. 

To everyone have a Bless Day tomorrow.  Be safe in your travels if you're out and traveling. 
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Dog

Howdy all good to see everyone is doing good.
I like Dowco covers have had fantastic results with them they do get pricy.
The custom fitted one for my boat was 1000 bucks but its sweet. fits snug trailers good. Look into them.

Dark3

Don, I hope you can mix in some enjoyable moments with your medical appts and can get out to enjoy the nice weather this weekend. I am going to look at a solution for boat coverage myself soon with rain 2 seasons and heavy snow for 2 season. Im currently considering building a frame to place inside and tarp in the warmer months and maybe shrink wrap in the cold months.

We have been focused on the PCS to Fort Drum. Gathering warm stuff for the kids from some trips to bass pro near Sacramento (almost adults lol), throwing unwanted items in piles up and downstairs for a dump run I will make this weekend. Feeling a bit down today about leaving my battle buddies at work. ROTC has been an extremely rewarding assignment and the CPTs and Civilians Ive worked with the last few years have been like family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

Good afternoon to all,

We're looking at overcasts skies with a rain front moving into our area later on today.  Forecasted temps are 71-83dgrs with 75% humidity and a S wind @ 17mphs.  The rain and thunderstorms are on the way.

My walk in medical appointment went well this morning.  I was seen right off the bat.  I picked up some additional bandages and wraps from the clinic.  I'm now waiting on the phone call from the Open Wound Clinic.  My primary care doctor took me off one of the BP meds for time being.  Hopefully that will cease these blisters from forming up. 

I'm going to hold off putting the covers back on the boats till after this round of storms.  I'd be really pissed to have them trashed again by another hail storm.

Dark 3; No fishing this weekend.  The lakes are still pretty low right now.  It dangerous to be out running around unless you know where your running.  There's lots of unsubmerged trees and boulders out there just waiting for a hull to run over them.  Nolan Lake over on Ft. Hood is so low there's no place to launch the G3 from.   
Yes sir you moving back up North you'll need some solid structure to protect your boat.  I've never been up to Ft. Drum and really had no desire to either.  Although those 9yrs in Alaska was trying enough.  I had my fishing boat triple wrapped and had the trailer jacked up off the ground during the Winter months. 

I remember those PCS days and yep there were lots of good friends left behind etc.  Ya'll be safe in your travels to your new home.

Dog; Brother, Tks for dropping in sure hope all's well with your health improving.  I've checked out some custom made covers for my Stratos a couple times.  I just couldn't pull the trigger on getting one.  Something always seem to come up when I was getting ready.

To everyone have a really pleasant afternoon and evening ahead.

Bud Kennedy

Today was not quite a nothing box day but it was darn close.  Great weather today with a high near 80 and a lite breeze and blue bird skies.  I did trim one of my trees today just to do some shaping for next year growth.  I still have not pruned the Japanese Maple until a few more leaves fall.  Then I will do a bit of shaping on it as well.  Both trees are doing well and are very healthy.

Other than a quick trip down the street for a few grocery items I have been home all day just taking it easy. The wife seems to be doing a bit better today but she is still going through some depression that seems to effect her from time to time.  Not much I can do to help her.  If I try to talk to her to help she does not want to hear it.  If I say the wrong thing than it would not be good for her or myself.  So, I am just leaving her alone for now hoping she will work through it.  Her back pain and arthritis pain is bad and would make anyone depressed.

Princeton_Man

Don, I'd love to have one of your Texas Winters!  ~sun It sounds like those covers are about the same as what I've found. I suppose once I have the Stratos re-carpeted I'll break down and buy a custom cover.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Guys, you get what you pay for in those custom covers.  I have owned three different Ranger travel covers in my 40 years of bass boat ownership.  I realize these things are $1K+ but I can attest that they get the job done.  My boat is stored outside and have to endure all of the harsh weather elements of our area.  The have withstood hurricanes without the boat interior getting wet even one time.  They have not ripped in the wind or been damaged by some of the hail storms.  The last cover I bought about 5 years ago, I was able to get some custom features like longer tie down straps since I have a non standard trailer.  The motor cover is designed to fit perfectly over my fast strike motor and my Minn Kota trolling motor.  The boat is dual console and the cover is designed accordingly with extra interior felt to protect gel coat and windshields in all the right places.  These covers do have a life span due to UV damage in the Carolina sun but I have been using Aqua Armor treatment each spring and fall just to keep the cover clean and protected and pliable.  All I can say is the custom cover is worth it in the long run and would recommend it to anyone as a towing cover.

I had another day of doing nothing except enjoying a beautiful day and relaxing.  We only left the property one time to go to the post office and that was it.  Just finished a simple supper of chicken tenders and nothing else planned on this Friday evening.  We were up later than normal last night watching the World Series and switching back and forth to the Coastal Carolina Football game against conference rival App State.  Coastal won again and are currently 7-1 so far this season.

Dark3

Bud, For me with the weight of snow in the winter I feel like Im going to have to do something custom unless I get it inside somewhere for the winter. In the summer, the rain doesn't pool up on the cover or do you have something in the boat holding it up?

Princeton_Man

Bud, you are 100% correct. the original Stratos cover was awesome both in fit and performance.

Dark, I have a few posts somewhere in the Tips board and maybe here in Dock Talk too, about just that. When I stored my Stratos outdoors I used PVC pipe to create domelike supports under the cover. Snow seldom built up on it, rain rolled right off. It came out easily and traveled in the bed of the truck. It was also cheap.
https://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=137391.0 Unfortunately the pics are no longer linked. I'll look to see if I can find any.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Dark3.  My custom cover fits so tightly that there are no pools forming.  It all runs off.  From time to time if I don't get the cover nice and tight it will pool a very small amount but nothing much more than 8-12 oz of water or so.  I usually just touch the cover and the pool drains.  I don't do snow here but when I lived in New England and Illinois we had plenty of snow and it was never a problem but I took steps to clean the cover after a big snow especially if ice was involved.  I think the cover treatment keeps the cover fairly slick and a lot of the stuff would just slide off with a little solar warming during the day.

Donald Garner

Greetings from Belton, Texas  ~shade

Forecasted temps for today were 45-74dgrs with 63% humidity and a W wind @ 13mphs. The front is moving across our area and heading East.  We have rain and thunder with this movement. Tomorrow we're forecast to have bright sunny skies. 

Somewhat busy day today at the fun farm.  I spent most of the day on the computer updating files etc.  Got a call from the Director she informed me my team is tasked to move all the furniture out of the library.  The powers to be have decided to re-carpet the
the library during Thanksgiving Break.  I sent the principal and other powers to be that they need to contact the vendors that put the furniture in the library.  There's (3) tables in there that are 14 - 16ft long  X 4ft wide.  I remember watching the guys haul those long boxes into the library and a team of them put those tables together.   We'll see what happens.  They want me to start moving the furniture on the 17th of Nov. 

Bud; I hope your wife gets to feeling better soon.  I still have y'all in my daily prayers.  Yes sir you get what you pay for.  I've looked at Custom Covers before and there are a lot of benefits to having them.  A custom cover is on  my "Wish List" as is a few other things I'd like to have for my boats.

Jim; For now I'm just going to keep Academy in business with buying their covers.  Once I get that double over head car port cover built a lot of boat cover damage will cease  ;)

Dark 3; When are the movers arriving?

To everyone I hope your weekend ahead is a pleasant one.  Y'all enjoy that family time together as much as possible.

Dark3

Don, the 17th is the packers. The 21st is the movers. The 26th I pull off on the cross country drive. They are actually 2 different companies. All of this is foreign to me as Ive never done a government move before Ive always done DITY moves myself. I wasn't feeling it this time haha. Funny they pack everything. Like take your underwear out of your drawer, document it and put in a box lol.

Donald Garner

Good morning to all,

We're starting the day off with Blue Bird Skies across Central Texas  ~sun  Forecasted temps are 67-84dgrs with 99% humidity and a SE wind @ 5mphs.  We're forecasted for more rain for the upcoming week ahead.

We're off to church here shortly.  Lunch location hasn't been determined yet.  I'm going to spend the afternoon draining the water out of the G3 again. We had some heavy rains move across the area Thursday night and most of Friday morning.  With the sunny days forecasted for the next couple days the boats should dry out again.  I got to get those covers back on the boats here before the next rain moves in.

Belton Lake is now almost 14ft below Summer Pool.  Stillhouse Lake is about 12ft below Summer Pool.  They keep pulling the water for the communities down South of us.  The last time I drove by Nolan Lake on Ft. Hood the South Coves were just about dried up.

Dark 3; I remember those days.  They can be stressful.  You got to watch them closely when they show up.  They send people into each room and start packing.  Make sure your wife has all her jewelry packed by herself and she takes it with her.  You should do the same thing with any firearms you have.  I remember one time they even packed up the kitchen trash.  Good luck with the move.

To everyone hope the weekend so far has been a pleasant one.  Be safe in your travels if you have to get out.

Oldfart9999

Howdy!!! 61 and sunny right now, nice fall day. I'm a bit po'd at the Doctor taking care of my gut problem, I called him after 2 weeks from when he called me to tell me he failed a covid test, he was in surgery, I asked when they were going to reschedule my colonoscopy, they scheduled it for January 23rd, I wonder if they would have called me if I didn't call call them. I still haven't anything about the ct scan. I see my primary care Doc Friday I'll talk about it with him.
Besides being back on the schedule for my shoulder replacement, the Doctor who is supposed to be taking care of my abdominal problem will have work around that now, I have an appointment with the pain management Doc Thursday so that's finally back in play, good thing my back is killing me. At least there is movement on the pain front and my wife will be able to take family leave and do her baking while she is taking care of me. Things are looking up.
D3, are you going back to Drum?
Donald, good luck with those tables, sometimes the powers that be don't understand what's going on with a job.
Rodney 

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

A very nice day today again with temps in the lower 80s and plenty of sun with a blue bird sky.  Unfortunately that all ends tomorrow.  Temps will only be in the 60s for the next few days followed by a tropical event here beginning on Wednesday and the main event on Saturday.  This is the same storm now taking aim on the east coast of Florida.  Like Florida we will be having significant rain but the storm will be fairly fast moving by the time it gets here.  The Ranger will stay in storage for the rest of the week and probably come out to play next week.

Tomorrow is election day so I will probably watch some returns tomorrow night.  We voted a week or so ago so I won't have to face those lines at the polls tomorrow.  I actually like voting on election day but the Mrs. has some significant mobility problems so the early voting process was better for her.
Rodney, good to see you on line today but I am truly sorry for all your pain issues.  Just what did you do in your life that has your body so messed up.  All of us old guys have some pains but you surely have hit the mother lode of pain over the years.  If you keep getting all these surgeries we are gonna have to change your screen name to Robo Rodney.

Simple supper tonight.  Having some lasagna with some garlic bread.  I am hungry already because my body clock has not adjusted as yet.  I usually eat about 6pm but here it is 5pm and I have been looking for something to snack on since 4pm.  So far I have had some Ritz crackers and a small piece of spice cake to hold me over until supper.

The Overhead Door technician was here to day to install a new bottom door gasket on my 16ft garage door.  He had already changed out the photo cells a few weeks ago and serviced the door but the bottom door gasket assembly was on backorder.  The job is now done and everything works as it should and above all SHE WHO SHALL BE OBEYED  is now happy.

Donald Garner

Greetings to all,
Central Texas was covered by rain showers most of the day.  Our forecasted temps were 64-75dgrs with 89% humidity and a NE wind @ 6mphs.  It rain most of the day some places got a heavy down pour other not so much so. 

I spent the morning at the Open Wound Clinic getting my lower legs cleaned and wrapped. My primary care doctor told me to stop taking one of  the additional BP meds.  The draining has slowed down somewhat but continues.  To help get the swelling reduced they wrapped both my legs from the top of the foot to the knee.  I have a follow up appointment next Monday.  If this method doesn't reduce the swelling etc. there are other methods to be imploded.  I have to keep these wrapping on till they take them off.  I'm trying to figure out how I'm suppose to take a shower now  :-\  they gave me some Cass wrapping I guess I get it figured out.

Bud; sounds like somewhat of a laid back day there.  We voted early also.  Walked in showed them our voter ID cards and driver's license.  We were directed over to the voting machine and did it.  It took all of maybe 10minutes if that.   I hope that new nasty weather doesn't produce any bad weather for ya.  Hope the wife gets to feeling better also.   We had tacos tonight for supper quick and easy like.

Rodney; My good man.  I've had ya in my daily prayers.  I figured 'The Pain Gang' had you hostage.  Sure hope things work out for ya here soon with your medical issues.
This library carpeting deal is going to get ugly here real quick. 

To everyone I hope tomorrow is a better day for y'all.  Be safe and take care when you're out and about.   

Oldfart9999

Good morning!!! 40 headed to mid/upper 40s, partly cloudy, more seasonal temps but tomorrow it heads back into the 60s near 70. I'm certainly happy to be heading to the fixes for the worst of what I need done. ;D My wife had a procedure Saturday, she's fine now, I had to go to Mass to pick up the Eucharist for her, I hurt big time, weather change, but I'm glad to make it for a change. I went out to pick up bags of leaves for the raised beds we have, I got 12 and I'm thinking of getting 4 more. I put the bag on my mower and spread them on the ground and chop them into the bag then spread them over the raised beds, makes a big difference in production of the crops. We compost the leftover veggies from dinner and spread them also, I don't believe in buy fertilizer when I can get for free.
Bud, all I can say is that it must have been a misspent youth(pronounced yout, remember "My cousin Vinny". Both my parents had osteoarthritis, I got a double dose. Good to hear you guys are doing well, I hope the Mrs, will be doing better soon. I agree with you about buying boat covers, spend it up front or spend it over the years.
Donald, I don't think you're going to miss the job after retirement. This carpet job sounds like a boondoggle, it's the way government works unfortunately.  How much longer are you going to have do the procedure to eliminate the problem? I figure by the end of January or February we'll get a new to us vehicle, if prices drop on used then it'll be sooner, then I'll start looking for a boat.
Have a great day, be well!!! Don't forget, vote early vote often.
Rodney

Dark3

Rodney, I am heading back to drum. I chose to go back and suffer in the cold haha. I will join you in the back pain. I got a referral on short notice to get some injections. Hopefully that helps before the 6 day drive.

Donald Garner

Good evening to everyone,
Forecasted temps for across Central Texas today were 64-74dgrs with 83% humidity and a S wind @ 2mphs.

Interesting day at work.  We had a 2inch water main line that came apart and flooded the football field.  It sure was a mess out there.  The plumbers were pretty busy out there all day today getting things repaired.  My day shift outside guy had appointments with this kids today.  So I spent the day out riding on the Gator collecting up the trash etc.
I got (2) new team members yesterday and today.  I'm down to only being (4) short now.  I got the Night Shift doing team cleaning beings they're still short 3 personnel.  They are learning to work together  ;)  Talked to the librarian and the digital learning center tech reference moving the furniture around next week.  Thursday is day # 1 of moving the library stuff out.

I got my last Acupuncture Treatment appointment tomorrow.  I'm sure going to miss those sessions.  The doctor in charge got called back onto Active Duty.  Next Monday I have a follow up appointment with my kidney doctor.  I also have a follow up with the Open Wound Clinic.  I'll be glad when these bandages come off.  My legs are itching like crazy and there's no way to relive the itch with all those wrappings on there.  Hopefully the kidney doctor will have some good news on whets lying in the near future.

Dark 3; I remember while I was stationed in Alaska I'd check the weather at Drum.  There were days it was actually colder and they had more snow than we did in Alaska.  Good luck with the Winters there.

Rodney; Glad to see you out and about my good man.  Hope you get to feeling better real soon.  Sir you are RIGHT; I'm not going to miss anything about this job  ~shade  That's good news I hope you're able to get into that new vehicle to you sooner.  Boat shopping will be fun especially when you're snowed in.  The wife and I already voted.  They had early voting here and we took advantage of it.

Alrighty y'all have a pleasant evening and a better day tomorrow.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Dark3 on November 08, 2022, 11:34:42 AM
Rodney, I am heading back to drum. I chose to go back and suffer in the cold haha. I will join you in the back pain. I got a referral on short notice to get some injections. Hopefully that helps before the 6 day drive.

I surely do hope they work for you. They worked pretty well for me, at least until the stenosis and bulged disc took over, that surgery worked very well. Right now if I do the dishes with in 5 minutes I'm wishing I didn't, 10 minutes of walking is about it, the injections should take care of that.
Good morning!!! 28 headed to 61, partly cloudy. Not much going on, we're having a bit of painting done today and tomorrow, I can sit in my recliner(bed) watching tv and supervising. lo
I went and voted, didn't make a bit of difference, I wish we could afford to move, my wife has relatives in Alabama and Mississippi, maybe we could move in with Lou or PM, who knows. lo
Donald, sure seems like for a new building it sure is falling apart early, at least out on the gator they have to find you if they want you, if I saw anybody coming out a door I'd have that gator doing an about face and seeing how fast it really is capable of going, if they can't catch you they can't bother you. lo
Have a great day, be well!!!
Rodney

Donald Garner

Good evening to all,

Forecasted temps across Central Texas were 65-72dgrs with 78%humidity and a SE wind @6mphs.  We got a cold front moving in Thursday Night.  The lows for the next few days are going to be in the low 30's mid 40's.

Slack day at work today.  I had medical appointments during the morning.  Lab work, Sleep Apnea follow up on the adjustments they made on my CPAP Machine.  My last Acupuncture Treatment appointment and a walk in appointment at the Open Wound Clinic.  My legs were itching really bad last night.  I almost took the scissors and cut the bandages off....but I didn't.  The nurse cut them off and cleaned up the area and redid both legs.  My wife stopped by Walmart and picked up some Benadryl for me to take.  Hopefully that will take care of the itching. 

The school honored all the Veterans we have working there.  We had a parade through the hallways with the Drum Corps leading us through.  Everyone was in the hallways yelling and cheering us etc. it was pretty cool.  The photo journal department put together a Veteran's Day Video for us also.

Rodney;  The Supervisor from the Recliner...That's what I'm talking about  ;)  Everyday I find something wrong with the way this bldg. was constructed.  It really pisses me off knowing what we paid for and to have stuff happen.  The plumbers were back out there double checking their work this afternoon.  Soccer season starts soon and they'll be using the football stadium etc. 
Driving around the 100 acres on the Gator I still can't hide.  They sent the Security detail out once looking for me.  They all drive around on golf carts and carry radios.  I can out run them in the vehicle but not the radio  :(

To everyone I hope tomorrow is a better day for you all.  Be safe in your travels also.

Bud Kennedy

Windy and rainy today but fairly warm with temps hitting 70.  Friday will be more of the same as the remnants of Nichole passes through South Carolina.  Some coastal flooding expected at high tide tomorrow with continued beach erosion likely.  Then the weather will be turning cooler with lows heading down to the upper 30s a day or two after the tropical storm.