2014 Evinrude with a couple glitches

Started by RangerAndBass, November 26, 2022, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RangerAndBass

I am not mechanical. I would like to hear your thoughts on the causes. I have the boat in the shop right now but would like to know what it sounds like to you before i get given a line, possibly.
#1  occasionally the motor wont trim down. it might the next time i try or after 5 or 6 tries. no logic. happens one in 15 times of trimming down.
#2 it acts like my battery is low or dead, this might happen one in 10 times. i try it again and it might start. usually after 3 tries it starts up like there was never a problem.

re #2, i checked the alternator and it seemed suspicious, rust on the side. i had it rebuilt and no difference.  Threw away a perfectly good battery thinking it was that first.

so what do you think the shop will come back saying?

Thanks.
Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Mike the fox

Loose connection or a bad ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Is it a Looper, Etec, or G2?

With information at hand, as long as it's not a G2, my first guess be relay of bad connection.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

RangerAndBass

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 26, 2022, 02:06:08 PM
Is it a Looper, Etec, or G2?

With information at hand, as long as it's not a G2, my first guess be relay of bad connection.

Its an E-tec 250

RangerAndBass

Quote from: Mike the fox on November 26, 2022, 01:24:00 PM
Loose connection or a bad ground.

Thanks Mike. you think that for both problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big g

I had a similar problem with my Yami, sending unit was bad.  Mechanic fixed and problem disappeared.  I'm Not a mechanic but he found the problem.  It was the switch.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

RangerAndBass

Quote from: big g on November 27, 2022, 01:23:11 PM
I had a similar problem with my Yami, sending unit was bad.  Mechanic fixed and problem disappeared.  I'm Not a mechanic but he found the problem.  It was the switch.
Thanks G. Fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

FD

Our tech just got in from Canada and you will be fishing with him on Saturday.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

RangerAndBass

Quote from: FD on November 28, 2022, 02:59:13 PM
Our tech just got in from Canada and you will be fishing with him on Saturday.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong
Lol. Excellent!!!!!
Looking forward to it.
I h are from the marina they are suggesting a motor relay and a trim relay.  If that's all it is I can live with it.  It won't be fixed by Saturday so he will get a first hand chance to see it in action

RangerAndBass

Well the final chapter (I hope)...
I went to the event with FD and crew. Had to get towed in Friday while presfishing. The starter had quit. FD is a Prince.  I had it rebuilt in the spring. It had stated that motor less than 30 times since the rebuild (as the boat was stored during the summer).
So I fished on trolling motor Saturday.
Took it back to the marina and they put on a new starter. They put on two new relays, one for trim and one for motor. They cleaned and greased the jack plate and added a usb port for my go pro.
And I walked away $1500 poorer.
BUT THE BOAT RUNS GREAT NOW!

big g

Thank God for professionals.  I hope this is the end of your problem! 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.