Best Champion XP Jig Skipping Rod

Started by Princeton_Man, January 01, 2023, 08:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

I'm about to add another skipping rod to my rod locker. My goto jig skipping rod for quite a few years has been a 6'8" Lee Smith custom, but I want to add a second rod and give my LS a rest. My initial pick is the Champion XP 610-4C. I have a DC 683C and while it more closely matches my current skipping rod specs it doesn't come close to matching the action. Could the tip be more lively on the 610? Does anyone here use a 610-4C?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

I think fishballer use one, or at least did at some point.

Also Zippy seems to own at least 1 of every rod Dobyns makes  

He may not see a PM but if you shoot him a text I'm sure he can give you the 411 on that rod.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

I do not have the 610-4, but skipping is what it was made for.

I like 7 foot rods personally. What will you be skipping under?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 02, 2023, 01:36:13 PM
I do not have the 610-4, but skipping is what it was made for.

I like 7 foot rods personally. What will you be skipping under?
Docks, boat houses, and low limbs. Mostly 3/8 jigs with trailer and soft plastics. I've tried using my 683C but it doesn't have as much tip as my LSCR. Since the 610-4 is specifically designated a skipping rod, I was just going to order it. With all the Dobyns knowledge here, I figured it couldn't hurt to see what others say first.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

I know Gary gave that rod to several dock skippers that fished Fork right where he is, this got him some immediate feedback. Like I said I haven't used it. I have seriously considered it. There are times that a 7 foot is just a hair long but then when I pin up a big one in deep behind a couple pylons I like having the full 7 foot. I have a 704 that I love for skipping.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

Step down to a Sierra if you want more tip action. I personally use a SA734c, but also use a 703 for around overhanging trees.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Dink Dawg

My skipping rod is the Kaden 714C and it works great. The Champion is only 3 inches shorter and the actions should be very similar.

D.W. Verts

My Sierra 683 is probably the best skipping rod I've ever had.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

1BADAIR

I have one.  I suck at skipping but My partner that is very good grabbed it one day then wouldnt put it down. 

Princeton_Man

Well, after procrastinating a while, I ordered a 610-4c and another 684CB. If the 610 lives up to all that read and heard, I'll probably get a second one.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

won't share brand names... but have become partial to my 755 CB (MH fast action) rod for skipping.  upsize the line... but the little more limber tip helps a lot.

and i'm 'that guy' who fishes from the bill dance position and is 'skipping' with a 7 foot 5 inch rod.  I would agree that it's more easy when standing... but back limitations are what they are.

adapt and overcome!

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 27, 2023, 09:22:27 AM
Well, after procrastinating a while, I ordered a 610-4c and another 684CB. If the 610 lives up to all that read and heard, I'll probably get a second one.
Well, they arrived today. Mounted a new Lews Pro Skip on the 610-4c, I'm going to take it out along with an extra SV103 to see which one I like best. Might need to order a new reel for the other 684.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club