Reel durability

Started by Masterbasser45, January 16, 2023, 10:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterbasser45

I'm sure I'm revisiting a topic discussed in years past, but how long do you expect to get out a good quality baitcaster?
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Capt. BassinLou

Years!! As long as parts are available for them you can have a quality reel for a significantly long time.

coldfront

with proper maintenance, I expect my shimano curados (e series) and chronarchs to last 'my lifetime'... which 'might' go 25 years left in 'the tank'.
and at that point, be sold as antiques, fully, highly functioning antiques.

Donald Garner

Like Cold Front and Capt. Lou mentioned with proper maintenance and parts available your equipment should last a long.....time.

I'm still using my Revo S & SX's I bought back in 2009.  I do a breakdown and cleaning every Winter.  I've not had to make any parts replacements as of yet.  If you can afford it buy quality equipment up front.  There are a lot of good quality reels out there that won't break the bank  ;) 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

coldfront

Donald:  I'd still have my old curado BSF b-series 'greenies' except I fell in love with smaller profiles that came along later.
and still have a couple of those old Ambassador 5500's (bought in 1990)... but as I've gotten older, my hands just tend to cramp up after day 2, 3 of sunrise to sunset casting... they look, function just like the day I got them...

(problems, problems... problems...)

Princeton_Man

I've never replaced a reel because it was worn out, I still have a Zebco 33 that's almost as old as I am, two Quantum Accurist AC500CX from about 2004, that have been fished very hard. I've passed down many old reels that are still being used. About the only reels I've ever had fail have been spinning reels. Parts do sometimes wear out, but any good reel should last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Donald Garner on January 17, 2023, 12:31:48 PM
Like Cold Front and Capt. Lou mentioned with proper maintenance and parts available your equipment should last a long.....time.

I'm still using my Revo S & SX's I bought back in 2009.  I do a breakdown and cleaning every Winter.  I've not had to make any parts replacements as of yet.  If you can afford it buy quality equipment up front.  There are a lot of good quality reels out there that won't break the bank  ;)

Any recommendations?
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on January 17, 2023, 05:26:19 PM
Quote from: Donald Garner on January 17, 2023, 12:31:48 PM

Any recommendations?

What's your budget?

Masterbasser45

I have some Shimano Curados 150 MGL and 200 k's I'm fond of.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on January 17, 2023, 05:37:44 PM
I have some Shimano Curados 150 MGL and 200 k's I'm fond of.

Are you looking to buy another reel? Just trying to understand your thread. We went from maintenance to recommendations.

Masterbasser45

"Don't be a dumb Bass"

D.W. Verts

1978 model Ambassadeur 4600C that is still in use today. They may not make 'em like this any more, but this is what they OUGHT to be like. Me and this old girls got some stories...

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Donald Garner

Any recommendations?

I'm a big fan of Abu Garcia reels.   I've been using them for 50 years.  You're going to get lots of different opinions on which reel is the best.  It's all in what you can afford and what brand you like and want.  I suggest you take a trip to your local sporting good store, Academy, Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's or Dick's and see what they have to offer.

I have used other reels since 1973 Diawa's, Shimano's and BPS Brands. My fishing mentor turned me onto Abu Garcia baitcasting reels and I haven't looked back.

Good luck finding that right reel you want.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

coldfront

Any recommendations?
find something that's made with as much durable material as possible.  machined aluminum, etc.
plastic ages, gets brittle and breaks.

a little more $$ up front is probably cheaper in the long run.

then, when you choose 'right', they sell for almost what you paid for them new...   I bought more than a few of my old curado b-series on sale at $119 each.  sold most of them at $100 each.

Hobious

I just do routine maintenance.  I dont open up reels for open heart surgery. 

I did just recently dunk my Shimano 150MGL into brackish water, and I sent the reel in for service.  a local guy.  the guy said it was still wet inside.  it came back smoother than OEM.    I think I will continue my path.  just send it in for big "opps". 

I have some older reels and they are still great with regular use and abuse.  they all have a Patina going, but smooth going. 

loomisguy

Quote from: D.W. Verts on January 17, 2023, 11:09:31 PM
1978 model Ambassadeur 4600C that is still in use today. They may not make 'em like this any more, but this is what they OUGHT to be like. Me and this old girls got some stories...
I gave the last of the old Abu's that I had to Bo (RIP).. Man , I don't miss those things.

Dale

Dink Dawg

Most of us have multiple combos so we rotate reels.  With that said, years and years.

Oldfart9999

I have a couple of Quantum Irons from the 90s, 3 bearing, big, heavy round reels that still throw cranks quite well, regular maintenance with good cleaners and lubes will last for a lifetime.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.