alewife lakes and the spawn: thinking of the z-man hellraiser

Started by coldfront, February 16, 2023, 08:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

couple years back I had the opportunity to spend some time with a local guide on a deep mountain lake that is known for big spotted bass.  it also has rather large stripers, hybrids and some magnum walleye.

during our trip, the conversation rolled around to early spring (april) when the alewife would spawn.  these little fish spawn in open water (pelagic) in small pods on the surface.  and in low light conditions.  peak spawn goes on in complete darkness.

sitting out there, dark of night, no light... just listening to this process it sounds like trickling water.  interspersed with the occasional 'bowling ball drop' as big predators blow up on these spawners.

classically, anglers would, will, fish a big redfin and just wake it.  or toss a walking bait.  it's pretty exciting stuff ... full of lots of 'swings and misses' and some absolutely SAVAGE strikes.

as I was playing around with the hellraiser this fall, what struck me was the sound it makes.  really reminded me of the alewife spawn.

so now I'm waiting for those first 3, 4, 5 nights in april where air temperatures stay in the mid-50's....

anyone else on here ever fish the alewife spawn?

BassmanRudy

I've never seen an alewife but sounds like you are ON to something there!! I love seeing the shad spawns where they are up top swarming any cover around!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

coldfront

Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 17, 2023, 02:42:53 PM
I've never seen an alewife but sounds like you are ON to something there!! I love seeing the shad spawns where they are up top swarming any cover around!
rudy, there's absolutely nothing to be seen.  it's all auditory.  real black ops/dark of the night stuff.  and those strikes are really savage.  heavy hooks are pretty important as these fish will absolutely wreck tackle.

part of the problem is that while looking for those 4-6 lb spots, the 10lb hybrids and 25-35 (or bigger) stripers come out to play as well.

that they often wait to HIT unitil the bait approaches the boat and your thinking of reeling up for next cast... absolutely heart-pounding stuff.  it's a great time to share with close friends, but that also takes the danger levels up:  heavy baits, big hooks... swings and misses...  tough enough when there's just one of you on the boat. 

BassmanRudy

YOLO!! Haha thought that fit here.

Man if you're catching 5lb bass and a 25lb striper hits it Holy heck that's how you lose a rod! Would be Fun as heck though. Worth the potential "hooking".
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

coldfront

Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 20, 2023, 07:39:02 AM
YOLO!! Haha thought that fit here.

Man if you're catching 5lb bass and a 25lb striper hits it Holy heck that's how you lose a rod! Would be Fun as heck though. Worth the potential "hooking".

takes nerves of steel and a firm grip.  that's for sure.

it's not for those with a heart condition... it takes concentration, which gets you 'into a zone' and then, one of those monsters opens up the big gaping hole in the water and tries to rip your bait away from you.  just the sound/fury/commotion is incredible.

you think topwater strikes are 'fun' in the light of day?  these dudes get flat out maniacal after dark.  full-on hannibal lecter stuff.  there's no 'ka-boosh' here... it thermonuclear stuff.

and it's just around the corner...