Rod Tip Stiffness Test

Started by Esox obsessed, February 22, 2023, 07:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Esox obsessed

Since fishing rod stiffness(action and power) can very between brand i was wondering how i could test it so i could contact the brand and show them a picture so they could recommend what rod to get

Mike Cork

A simple and safe test is to put a weight large enough to affect the action of the rod. However to make the tests consistent you'd need to create a holding device for the rod butt and then use the same weight for all actions.

Dobyns has a board they built that does this. It's quite the device. I wish I could remember exactly how it works. I'll be at the shop this April again and will get photos, maybe even a video.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Esox obsessed

#2
Quote from: Mike Cork on February 22, 2023, 09:14:13 AM
A simple and safe test is to put a weight large enough to affect the action of the rod. However to make the tests consistent you'd need to create a holding device for the rod butt and then use the same weight for all actions.

Dobyns has a board they built that does this. It's quite the device. I wish I could remember exactly how it works. I'll be at the shop this April again and will get photos, maybe even a video.

Would my pvc rod holders work

Smallie_Stalker

I might be misunderstanding so if my reply doesn't answer your question please disregard.

If you are looking to see how much of the rod bends under pressure you can hold the rod and place the tip end of the rod (but not directly on the tip) on the floor and lift the butt end. This will show you how far down the blank the rod flexes (action).

I don't know of any visual way to test for "power".



Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Esox obsessed

#4
Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 22, 2023, 11:00:38 AM
I might be misunderstanding so if my reply doesn't answer your question please disregard.

If you are looking to see how much of the rod bends under pressure you can hold the rod and place the tip end of the rod (but not directly on the tip) on the floor and lift the butt end. This will show you how far down the blank the rod flexes (action).

I don't know of any visual way to test for "power".


Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I wanted to find a way to take a photo of the rods showing how much they bend under a specific amount of force. I would be unable to hold it and take a picture at the same time.

I was thinking of tying the line to something heavy and using a clamp but i dont have any solid ideas

BassmanRudy

I think your rod holder idea would/will work! Set it at a 45° angle and then use a 1-2oz weight hanging about 3' down from the tip should work. I wouldn't hang too much weight as most rods can't handle it.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Esox obsessed

Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 22, 2023, 12:55:43 PM
I think your rod holder idea would/will work! Set it at a 45° angle and then use a 1-2oz weight hanging about 3' down from the tip should work. I wouldn't hang too much weight as most rods can't handle it.


Thank you

Mike Cork

Yep, the pipe at an angle would work great, might need several ounces to get the rod to flex like you need.

Smallie, the problem with the floor or roof is making sure you apply the same pressure every time.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 22, 2023, 01:01:21 PM
Yep, the pipe at an angle would work great, might need several ounces to get the rod to flex like you need.

Smallie, the problem with the floor or roof is making sure you apply the same pressure every time.
Very true!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Esox obsessed

#9
3 ounces didnt do enough anyone have ideas of something heavier to flex it with that wont break the rod

BassmanRudy

Can of corn? I sure thought it would flex!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Esox obsessed

#11
Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 22, 2023, 02:53:05 PM
Can of corn? I sure thought it would flex!
It worked
The top 2 photos are my medium action rod and my bottom 2 are my medium heavy action rods.

BassmanRudy

Quite a bit of difference!! Which should/could be expected. Are they the same brand/model just different actions? Sorry if I missed you posting that info earlier...
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Esox obsessed

Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 22, 2023, 04:57:28 PM
Quite a bit of difference!! Which should/could be expected. Are they the same brand/model just different actions? Sorry if I missed you posting that info earlier...
No im switching to cashion rods from ugly stiks but the one rod that has the best lure rating for  my one setup is a medium heavy and rods stiffness varies between rods as well so i wanted a way to measure to show the, and ask what i am looking for. And i have no idea which rod i should replace my medium heavy gx2 with
Trying not to exceed lure weight by too much though when your using a senko on a 1oz jighead its hard not too

FD

The test I run for guide placement holds the rod at a 30° angle but I put huge loads on them.

https://youtu.be/uaCrSaQ22s8

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

loomisguy

I mean, Really it's much more dependent on what baits your trying to use the rod for. You can push the tip down on the floor and tell a moderate from a fast but that's about all.
If you call them and ask what they what recommend for the weight your using and if your looking for a jig rod or a moving bait rod they could probably be of help. I wouldn't keep high sticking rods or your going to break one.

Esox obsessed

#16
Quote from: loomisguy on February 23, 2023, 05:51:55 AM
I mean, Really it's much more dependent on what baits your trying to use the rod for. You can push the tip down on the floor and tell a moderate from a fast but that's about all.
If you call them and ask what they what recommend for the weight your using and if your looking for a jig rod or a moving bait rod they could probably be of help. I wouldn't keep high sticking rods or your going to break one.

I just wanted a measurable way to show the difference and because the one rod i am looking at is a medium heavy because of the lure weight options being the best i can get 1/16-1oz though a senko on a 1oz jighead exceeds it though i am still waiting for a response. Also one brands medium heavy action fast can be another brands medium moderate.Sorry if this doesnt make sense i am having some trouble explaining it

Esox obsessed

I was able to get a photo of the other rod . Mine is tied to a can of corn. His photo is him hooked up with a 30lb striper . I know the weight difference but do you guys think the rod bend is about the same.

BassmanRudy

Seems like it. Both rods by the 3d guide up have loaded and by the 5th up are fully engaged.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Esox obsessed

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 11, 2023, 09:21:53 AM
Seems like it. Both rods by the 3d guide up have loaded and by the 5th up are fully engaged.
Thank you theres one rod selected now to look into the other 2 which shouldnt be as concerning