Bassmaster Classic

Started by FlatsNBay, March 19, 2023, 06:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

It's coming up! Who's your favorite to win?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

FlatsNBay

My favorites that I'd like to see win are:

Gerald Swindle-long overdue!

Scott Martin-it would be cool to see him carry on the family tradition

Brandon Card-it would be cool to see him come back from his illness to take the win in front of his home town crowd.

Who I think WILL win;

Brandon Lester- I think it's his time

Stetson Blaylock-he's had a few close Classic finishes, he's due

J.W.

Greg Hackney or Jason Christie

D.W. Verts

Anyone not using Livescope, etc.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Smallie_Stalker

Hackney is on my Fantasy Fishing Team so it would be a double help to me if he wins.  Also believe I have Stetson Blaylock as Flats mentioned but I have to go back and check.

Not sure who I put in my Drain the Lake roster. Still don't really understand that whole thing though so it probably doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

Anyone of the (3) listed below would be cool.  But if I could only pick (1) I'd like to see Greg Hackney win it.

Greg Hackney
Brandon Palaniuk
Gerald Swindle

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

Wonder if anyone has considered Lee Livesay. He could be a sleeper for this event.

coldfront

Quote from: Donald Garner on March 20, 2023, 12:59:49 PM
Anyone of the (3) listed below would be cool.  But if I could only pick (1) I'd like to see Greg Hackney win it.

Greg Hackney
Brandon Palaniuk
Gerald Swindle
can live with that.
might also be cool to see 'gussy' get it done with an all SM stringer...  talk about paradigm shifting!

right now, the thought is to go to the show on sunday.  hit the exhibitors as the doors open, maybe say 'hi' to a few of the pros working the booths...  then jet out before the afternoon wildness.

Donald Garner

CF, you have a safe trip to and from.  Have you ever been to the Classic before?  I went back when it was in Shreveport and I had a blast.  There's lots of great deals to be had on Sunday at the Expo.

Have fun.....
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

BassmanRudy

Until I started reading my BASS Times today I couldn't have told you who was in it to be honest. Most of the guys I grew up watching are MLF.

But that being said looking at the list the anglers I'd like to see Win are-

Stetson Blaylock- Fished with him in an Open on the Red River and he's a good dude.
Kenta Kimura- guy tries so hard especially using a lot of new prototype baits.
Luke Palmer- fished with him too and he doesn't get ruffled and will change quickly.
Any of the NC boys!! Go Tar Heels!!

Anglers I wouldn't(per se)-
Chris Zaldain- dude talks so much and couldn't win when the other 80 Best bass anglers were here so he doesn't deserve one now.
Keith Poche- that shady stuff on the Red River just is his thing. Fish it right.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Oldfart9999

Don't know who's in it, haven't watched it on a few years, in fact haven't followed bass fishing all that much since the joint replacements got into full swing. I will admit that now , as I start looking at it, Swindle would be my choice followed by Hackney. Most of those I followed are retired.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

BASSCATLILDAVE

Really wanted to go but not in the cards. :'( Brandon P for the win.

Eric-Maine

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 21, 2023, 04:53:22 PM
Until I started reading my BASS Times today I couldn't have told you who was in it to be honest. Most of the guys I grew up watching are MLF.

But that being said looking at the list the anglers I'd like to see Win are-

Stetson Blaylock- Fished with him in an Open on the Red River and he's a good dude.
Kenta Kimura- guy tries so hard especially using a lot of new prototype baits.
Luke Palmer- fished with him too and he doesn't get ruffled and will change quickly.
Any of the NC boys!! Go Tar Heels!!

Anglers I wouldn't(per se)-
Chris Zaldain- dude talks so much and couldn't win when the other 80 Best bass anglers were here so he doesn't deserve one now.
Keith Poche- that shady stuff on the Red River just is his thing. Fish it right.
Poche will be coming in hot from the bass pro tour. His little skinny water boat will help at the Classic too.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

twocold

I think it will be a crankbait deal. Can't think that Keith Coombs will do well

J.W.

Quote from: D.W. Verts on March 19, 2023, 11:49:43 PM

Dale

Dale, have you seen this Louis Monetti kid? Made it to the classic in a boat that's older than him and no electronics.  8)

BassmanRudy

Looks like it's the Canadian's to lose. Unless he catches less than 8lbs tomorrow should win easily. FFS all the way in the same spot he won the Elite on.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

D.W. Verts

I've tried watching it, but it doesn't work for me any more. It's a sad deal, but it's MY deal. I sure miss the old days tho'.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

bigjim5589

Last night, I checked in on what was happening. I haven't paid a lot of attention to it, but had 3 guys in mind that I would have liked to see do well.

Bryan Schmitt was a "local" guy when I lived in MD, so would like to see him do well, and he was in 3rd after yesterday.

Patrick Walters is a local guy here in SC, and he didn't make the cut.

I also thought that Seth Fielder might have had a good chance since he's a good river & Smallmouth angler, but he also didn't make the cut.

If Gustafson does well today, he should win it, but I guess we'll see how it ends.

There's a local high school championship here on Santee today and a neighbor & friend of mine, & one of my pro staff is fishing. His name is Matthew Taylor. The weather today is terrible, winds, rain, possible thunder storms and even tornado's possible, so I'm praying that the Lord will make sure all those kids & their supporting friends & family all are staying safe.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

FlatsNBay

I'm kinda torn. I've got Gussy on my Drain the Lake team and sure could use the triple bonus points if he wins.

Canterbury currently is neck and neck with him. He's on my fantasy team so a win from Canterbury would help that team.

I think I stand to do best overall if Gussy wins and Canterbury comes in second so c'mon Gussy!

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FlatsNBay on March 26, 2023, 11:22:30 AM
I'm kinda torn. I've got Gussy on my Drain the Lake team and sure could use the triple bonus points if he wins.

Canterbury currently is neck and neck with him. He's on my fantasy team so a win from Canterbury would help that team.

I think I stand to do best overall if Gussy wins and Canterbury comes in second so c'mon Gussy!

I don't know what happened with my rosters on Fantasy Fishing. I had 5 anglers in both the regular and the drain the lake rosters including Gustafson. Now I only show 4 in each and Gussy is missing!

Mike the fox

I'm hoping gussy wins it but only because I'm partial to a smallmouth guy who runs a Lund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: coldfront on March 21, 2023, 10:16:44 AM
might also be cool to see 'gussy' get it done with an all SM stringer...  talk about paradigm shifting!
ended up not making the show.  not a fan of large crowds, and as it turned out, Knoxville was bigger than most.  not my scene.

did take the old ranger out for a shake-down today.  potential sale coming up.  then my 'inner guilt' drove me off the water and over to the gym ('house of pain') for my daily routine...

happy to see Gussy get it done.  know the deal, concerns over livescope tech... but finding 'rock seams/cracks' and extracting smallies from them?  that was a way cool deal and outside the norm.  no one even thinks this way without forward facing heat-seeking radar... (although you all should be laughing at me for using heat-seeking terminology when targeting poikilotherms!)

loomisguy

Quote from: D.W. Verts on March 19, 2023, 11:49:43 PM

Dale

So much for that Dale. The Ol' Livescope and Damiki rig does it again. I have to give those Northern guys credit if there's a small mouth to be had they will find them. Looks like he ran out of them but held on for the win.
I wondered why they would have the Classic there I believe for the second time, It's not that it's that great of a fishery, but the sell out crowd and a big convention center is the answer.

D.W. Verts

I ain't gonna cry over it. But they've re-invented "fishing" as we know it, and it saddens me. Good for them.

Dale

Eric-Maine

Quote from: coldfront on March 26, 2023, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: coldfront on March 21, 2023, 10:16:44 AM
ended up not making the show.  not a fan of large crowds, and as it turned out, Knoxville was bigger than most.  not my scene.

did take the old ranger out for a shake-down today.  potential sale coming up.  then my 'inner guilt' drove me off the water and over to the gym ('house of pain') for my daily routine...

happy to see Gussy get it done.  know the deal, concerns over livescope tech... but finding 'rock seams/cracks' and extracting smallies from them?  that was a way cool deal and outside the norm.  no one even thinks this way without forward facing heat-seeking radar... (although you all should be laughing at me for using heat-seeking terminology when targeting poikilotherms!)
Gussy won on the same fish using traditional 2 d technology in 2021 over a 4 day stretch.
Everyone not named Cox had the technology that Gussy had. He was the only one.

Not that long ago, every competitor was supplied a boat. It was good for the competition......not so much for the industry.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk