My Best Day of 2023!

Started by Pat Dilling, March 22, 2023, 03:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Dilling

Our Slow Trollers Old Guys Fishing Club had a little team tournament on Collins Lake on Monday.  It was overcast and breezy with a little spit of rain.  Lake is full, water is murky/muddy with 1-2 feet of visibility.  Water temperature was 47.5 to 50.3.  Air temp was 45-55.  My partner John Krohn and I had a great day.  We figured out that fish were active in flatter, South facing coves, with  a 10-12 mph wind blowing in.  Exactly where they should be on the first day of Spring!  And with a new moon too.  We caught them on bladed jigs, I was using a 1/2 oz Thunder Cricket, white/chartruese with a pearl Zman Razor Shad Trailer.  John had a white/white Zman Chatterbait.  I had 7, he had 3.  He had never caught a fish on a bladed jig before. Took us a while to figure out what they wanted, but once we did, we were able to duplicate it in a couple areas.  Going back and forth between them, we caught 10 keepers.  Our 7 fish limit weighed 18.5 pounds.  We had a 3.25 and a 3.2 plus a couple more that were in the 3 pound range.  All were spotted bass.  I guess the largies were still in hibernation.  Another fella had 3.7 spot to get the big fish prize.  It is such a good feeling to figure out where they are and what they want!  One of the areas we caught fish on, I had never fished before.  I picked it out on the map based on where we started catching fish.  Sure gives a fella a boost in confidence!
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Smallie_Stalker

Nice job Pat!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

Pat, congrats to you and your partner on a very successful outing.  Tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us also  ~c~ ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

BassmanRudy

Way to go!! Awesome to hear the lake is FULL!!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

BassmanRudy

I forgot to tag the lake but these are pics of a lake near you(I know you've posted about it) and the CHANGE in just a couple months!

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

Pat Dilling

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 22, 2023, 09:45:44 PM
I forgot to tag the lake but these are pics of a lake near you(I know you've posted about it) and the CHANGE in just a couple months!

Great pictures of the South Fork of Lake Oroville Rudy. It has come up about 200 feet. Too much in fact, they're letting water out now to make sure there is space for flood control. It's currenlty about 45 feet down. It should fill completely in June when flood risk has passed.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

BassmanRudy

200'??? I fished lakes back east that never got deeper than 10'!
"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com