New Rod Building Forum

Started by FD, June 09, 2023, 03:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FD

This is the place for any and all rod building questions...

I started building rods in the mid 2000's and wish I had place like this to ask questions.  When I started building, I knew nothing about rods other than how to cast them.  ~roflmao

This is your one stop shop for everything rod building.  Post pictures of your builds, ask technical questions about specific parts, or just generic questions about anything rod building related.  I will be around frequently to answer your questions and help you on your rod building journey.

FD  aka Capt. Lee

Below is the link to the first video on the FDx Custom Rod YouTube channel where I teach you how to start building your own rods.

iMDimAgmTmc
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

caddyjoe77

i think this is a great idea
BeerMe

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on June 09, 2023, 10:08:50 AMi think this is a great idea
X2

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Reelharder

Started in on this about twenty years ago and have moved so many times I just never had a place to get set up. Now I'm in the center of Massachusetts and have a room I can dedicate to rod building. My has the the rod components changed over the years. SiC guides were the top dog back then, is the Fuji Torzite all it's cracked up to be and is Fuji's Concept style of guides and spacing as good as there videos portray it. Thanks for doing this, spend a lot of time watching your videos!!!

Princeton_Man

I'm the guy who always has the tools, but doesn't always have the talent. Also discovered pretty quickly that I don't have the room right now. Somewhere in my future is another room or more likely another building/garage. For Christmas one year, my wife bought me all the basic stuff needed to build/repair rods. I was inspired by some the truly talented members here on UB and gave a my Christmas list. I've never taken the time to truly learn. Using the Tutorials at GetBitOutdoors, I built a spinning rod for my wife. It turned out OK, she loves it, but I really don't have the talent.... yet anyway, or the time and space. I tied up the dining room table for several days at a time. ::)   I'm good at replacing tips, ok at replacing a guide, but that's all.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

J.W.

Quote from: Reelharder on May 06, 2024, 09:42:43 AMSiC guides were the top dog back then, is the Fuji Torzite all it's cracked up to be

I'm investigating this myself. I usually build with the CRB LZR guides, and they are excellent, especially for the price, but I just built one using the Fuji titanium Torzite guides on a casting rod (NFC C6O2 MB725 blank) for the first time. I haven't fished with it yet, but test casts were excellent (casts a mile), and they may be ever so slightly lighter, but I'm still unsure if their cost-to-benefit ratio is worth it. The guidetrain cost as much as the blank did. I guess I will know more after I've fished with it some.