My hardest pulling bass experienced

Started by Hobious, October 10, 2023, 04:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobious

A Brazil peacock bass. The hits on topwater are violent. You know how you drop a punch of fish food into an aquarium?  All the fish go into a frenzy and eat like mad?  Well if you happen to toss a big two oz chopper style bait into a group, the attack is similar. They rush in for their share.  They even try to pull the plug out of the fishes mouth.  My Shimano 150mgl drag on full tight will get line stripped from it.  When I get home, I ship both out for repair. Yanking on the giant water restrictive plugs and fighting fish seemed to have toasted my drag. My Daiwa Tw Sv makes noise, but seems okay.  Way lighter bait.  Jerks and jigs.

Fishing was okay. We had mild days.  No skunks.  We got a few bigs. Not giants but bigs. 11 lb was my best.

This is a 10. Scales were janky so weights vary. We measured lengths

You cannot view this attachment.

Larry Francis

Molon Labe

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching and tks for sharing that trip and picture with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

bassmedic46

A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work. Take a kid fishing

Smallie_Stalker

Congrats! That's the stuff dreams are made of.

Always wanted to go down and fish for the South American peas on the Amazon river.

The old Woodchoppers are a must have bait down there. The fish will rip the rod right out of your hands if your not careful.

Maybe someday I'll get to go.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

RangerAndBass

Hobious, I would be very interested in hearing more about the trip.  Have you posted about it before?
I'd like to do that sometime and would love to hear more about the whole experience.
Sounds so cool

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Hobious

Quote from: RangerAndBass on October 11, 2023, 11:06:54 AMHobious, I would be very interested in hearing more about the trip.  Have you posted about it before?
I'd like to do that sometime and would love to hear more about the whole experience.
Sounds so cool

Happy to help.

I'll start with the rough stuff. Brazil is far.  Really far and difficult to string a bunch of airline flight's together to get you there and back.  Every leg has a 4 hour layover .  I'm in Houston now with a 4 hour layover.  It's hot as heck there and this isn't bass fishing. It's like mixing fishing, CrossFit and Birkam yoga into one activity.  I wore a HR monitor and it was like I was jogging up a hill the entire day.  My HR was in the aerobic stage all day. It hit 145 fighting a fish!! It's exhausting. I drank a case of water on the boat in 8 hours. Brazil doesn't use toilet paper.  You hose your ass off with a nozzle like we would find at the kitchen sink.  A square of paper, and the toilet clogs. Funny as heck.  Portuguese isn't easy to learn. For example:  the currency is the REAL.  You pronounce it. hey-al.  I'm taking malaria meds.  Mosquitos did eat me alive one evening.  The fishing guides speak zero English. We managed with the little Portuguese I learned, and hand signals and google translation.  It's expensive.  I paid $5700 for just the fishing trip.  Flights varied from $1200 to $2200 amongst our group. 

The good:  the accommodation are good.  Great chef making us meals.  The service on our trip was over the top. My guide wouldn't let me open my own water bottle.  He freed all my snags.  He is magical at getting a bait out of a snag. They do not lose lures. They would cut the tree down if required.  Rooms are comfy and AC rips.  We bring very little clothing because they washed our clothes daily.  Fishing is nuts.  The topwater bites are violent.  And it ruined my LMB bass fight perception forever.  My two reels require service now.  Even full drag is no match.  A fish will peel line. I met people from all over.  I might be the only one with my political views and had to listen to them nightly.  They trashed my home state every chance the had.  I bit my tongue.  Haha. Nice people and we shared fishing love.  I stayed respectful and didn't get troubles.  We live on a yacht at night.  They tow the bass boats.  We fish in a single direction and the big boat moved with us and we docked there every evening. I no don't know how the bass boats found the mothership every time. I was lost.  Wildlife is great. Pink dolphins, caymen, snakes and all sorts of weird fish. Oh. We fly into
Manaus Brazil and get in a tiny bush plane and fly into the jungle and land on a dirt runway.  Fun and nerve racking.

RangerAndBass

Wow what an awesome trip.  Thanks for all of that, it was really interesting read.
Was this a recent trip?

J.W.

Hobious

RangerAndBass

Quote from: Hobious on October 12, 2023, 01:56:07 PMJust got back last night.
Lol!  Sorry, I was thinking that was an old story. 
Thanks for taking the time while you were away to report