Today at the range

Started by Wizard, October 16, 2023, 08:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

At age 75, I no longer shoot often and then usually, a handgun. Needing a break from wifely chores, I took my precision .22 target rifle for a little fun. A club of High School shooters had all but two of the rifle pits filled with a shooter/spotter team. I watched for a half hour and when the range master waved to me, I joined them on the line. They were shooting 50 ft bullseye targets at 100 ft for practice so I ran out a similar target. The kids were shooting prone with scoped rifles and bi-supported barrels. I sat on a bar stool shooting a 1958 Remington Target Master with Lyman peep sights and a shooting sling. I have used this rifle for 65 years and won a national small-bore championship at age 11. I let my spent targets speak for me and have only spoken of my championship on UB. Upon retrieving my target, all my rounds were centered within a half inch. The kids gathered around my target and no one said a word. The range master told them the rifle had won a championship and they pulled their phones and took a picture of my rifle. It looks ancient compared to their modern rifles. I bought 50 ft targets for everyone, gave them 5 rounds apiece and held a "Championship of the Day" for them using my rifle. Winner got a soda of their choice.
These High School kids enjoyed using a National Championship rifle. I forgot to tell them who had used the rifle on that long ago day. Being with younger people makes me feel younger than my 75 years,

Wizard

skidemn

We have a monthly Rimfire fun shoot at our range, and it's kinda like a silhouette shoot, but with several additional target types, including a KYL rack and pistols as well. We have a lot of guys with classic rifles, including Remington 40X's, 541's, Winchester Model 52's and various Anschutz models. Many of those classics are absolute tack drivers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

J.W.

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks for sharing that story Wiz. I'm sure those boys learned a thing or two that day.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

Wiz, tks for sharing the trip to the range with us.  I'm sure those boys will remember this day for a while.  Tks for sharing that picture with us also.  Those are some nice looking weapons there.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Pferox

Beautiful guns, Wizard, and a great story.  Thanks for sharing
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim